XK8 / XKR ( X100 ) 1996 - 2006
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

A new Avos project just about to be finished

Old 11-24-2012, 12:53 PM
Received 52 Likes on 18 Posts
Default A new Avos project just about to be finished

Hi Guys.

Jeff from Tuscon asked if I could share our project with XKR'es on the forum as I am about six months ahead of what Jeff is about to do.
So here I am.

Its good to be finally on the forum after many years of lurking. Big thanks to all the posters and moderators for your inputs and enthusiasm. I have a Silver 2001 XKR which has been heavily modified using all the information, posts and advice presented here on the forum.

Briefly,
My car ripped off the supercharger pulley on the French autoroute, terminally damaging the end of the crank. The cost for repairing the damage wasn't financially viable. Out of desperation for any options I contacted someone called Avos, from this forum, directly to his personal e-mail for any advice.

A long story but,
Andre very kindly offered to take my broken car as his own project, I'm still blown away at this incredible generosity, he has a real job and a family to look after.
Given this unique opportunity we have put together something really quite special and this five month project will be coming to an end in a couple of weeks.

Let me share what we have been up to.

For starters, we have a new Range Rover sport RR 4.2 ltr engine. with reprofiled cams, Kenne Bell booster pump for better fuel flow with updated pressure regulator. On top we have the Avos (Kenne Bell) 2.6L high pressure TS supercharger. 90 mm throttle body, cool air intake system with K+N filter with a 3.5" MAF sensor and Miltech exhaust on the hot end.
To help keep the intake air cool we have an Avos's custom intercooler radiator, a Bosh high flow coolant pump. We have a new cross beam bumper bar that increases airflow to the radiators with a new grill fascia.
Further back we have had the gear box serviced and the new blue top solenoids fitted for firmer shifts. this is linked to an OS Giken TCD limited slip diff with the crown and pinion gears all shot peened to harden them up.
Because of the extra power we upgraded the brakes with Brembo calipers, Goodridge hoses, centric discs, Pagid pads, with adapters plates for the larger Jaguar 20" vortex wheels. The wheels have been balanced and the car has been realigned after the polypropylene bushing of all the bearings. OH, and also fitted with the lower firmer springs.

I have tried to keep the car looking externally just the same. I cant bring myself to change that original look. It is just so dam Pretty.

In two weeks time I fly up to meet Avos, for the first time, have a beer or two, then after that drive the 1000klms back to down to Spain.

In six months time Jeff from Tuscon should be doing pretty much the same, but in the meantime, I will keep you guys updated, as well on whats happening. I am hoping to get a few good video's and lots of pictures of our results.

Very best wishes to all, catch you soon,
Colin.

A new Avos project just about to be finished-1.jpg

The following users liked this post:
User 070620 (03-11-2014)
Old 11-24-2012, 04:24 PM
Veteran Member
Received 305 Likes on 217 Posts

Very, very cool! I look forward to hearing and seeing more.

Old 11-24-2012, 07:01 PM
Veteran Member
Received 182 Likes on 148 Posts

+1 on cool! You score very high on the "gee wiz" scale!! Can't wait to see the photos.

avos has also given me some great advice; he, and others like him, are what make this the best forum on the internet!

Mark

Old 11-24-2012, 09:02 PM
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Hi Colin,

It's going to be a fantastic car! I very much look forward to updates. I too want to go with one of Avos' kits, but for my XJR.

Steve

Old 11-24-2012, 10:22 PM
Received 6,242 Likes on 5,443 Posts

I expected from your intro that Avos would feature in this story!
Let us know how the trip home goes, and of course we all love pics.
Sounds like quite a car.

Old 11-25-2012, 10:38 PM
Received 217 Likes on 131 Posts
Default Wahoooooooo!

I'm so glad to see Capt'n Col on the forum! This fine fellow has been a blast to speak with about the development of his fine car. AVos has certainly been busy on this one.

I look forward to seeing and hearing about his driving adventure that is coming up. What a lot of fun that will be!

Old 11-26-2012, 06:09 AM
Default Cheers Guys!

This week Avos is running the engine in (because it IS brand new).
Then at the weekend doing the first oil change and full system check before the first full power tests.
We have had some interesting delays, one is the fitting of the new larger wheel setup in the original wheel arches with the lowered suspension.
and the other is the cam timing with the more aggressive cam profiles. Both fascinating subjects and both sorted.
The car has been out of commission for nearly 7 months now so you can only guess at my general levels of excitement. It is a little tempered tho with the thought of driving back to the warmth of southern Spain through the normal north European winter conditions in a car with the HP levels that has yet to be confirmed.
But again very excited.

Catch you soon, best wishes,
Colin.

Old 12-03-2012, 11:49 AM
Default Just a quick update

Hi guys,
Four more days to go before my wife and myself fly up to Belgium to collect the project and most importantly meet the man.

A few interesting updates. Andre unfortunately collected a flat tyre whilst running the car in but has now put his wheels on to complete the run in process. The new booster pump has been fitted and the car is ready for full power tests.
One small problem. Snow. (Great Photo Andre)

A new Avos project just about to be finished-img_2276.jpg.jpg

Before the snow arrived Andre seemed to be happy with the power delivery. I feel this must be a little bit understated with the possible type of power delivery available. (Good man!)

So our drive back to Spain, 1050 kilometers, could be quite an interesting story.

Catch you soon,
Colin

Old 12-03-2012, 12:47 PM
Veteran Member
Received 1,231 Likes on 716 Posts

Nice write up so far Colin.

I'm looking forward to more, and of course at lot more pics.

One thing with Avos is that he is not shy about posting up his data, I just wish others would follow his lead.

You are a lucky fella.

Old 12-03-2012, 02:30 PM
Received 2,183 Likes on 1,355 Posts

Nice, and another coupe too

Old 12-04-2012, 08:36 AM
Default Wahoo!

Be careful on your drive, Colin! It is so nice to hear about your project and see a photo.

Your car is going to be a real treat to drive.

Old 12-04-2012, 04:57 PM
Default Great quote!

Hi Guys.

I caught this great quote today and thought I should share.

As I see only colder weather with snow coming I took the opportunity just now during my brake to take a test drive. Everything is as expected (boost/airflow/ignition), so for me good to go! It was tricky as I needed to do 3rd gear runs on public streets, so speeds of 180km/h, as 2nd gear would only cause spinning wheels.

I hope it's no one we know and I hope he didn't get caught.

It does sound more like a motorcycles performance than a cars.

Catch you soon, best wishes,
Colin.

Old 12-04-2012, 06:46 PM
Veteran Member
Received 369 Likes on 228 Posts

After teasing us like this, you're going to have to post a LOT of photographs of the engine bay and shifter when you take delivery.

I mean, it's the just the right thing to do. Looking forward to seeing them!

Old 12-04-2012, 07:17 PM
Veteran Member
Received 256 Likes on 196 Posts

You are going to love the power increase. I have a very similar setup to what you have with a couple of addational mods. Your only regret will be you waited so long to do it. I wish you many many happy miles driving your NEW car. Please keep us posted on your driving pleasures.

Old 12-04-2012, 07:19 PM
Veteran Member
Received 9,005 Likes on 4,113 Posts

Name:  car01.jpg
Views: 320
Size:  19.3 KB

+1 on wanting to see this

Old 12-05-2012, 04:22 AM
Veteran Member
Received 1,231 Likes on 716 Posts

I hope it's no one we know and I hope he didn't get caught.
The answer to that, might arrive in your letter-box in a week or two.

Old 12-05-2012, 08:55 PM
Received 124 Likes on 79 Posts

Exciting stuff!!

Old 12-18-2012, 09:53 AM
Default Colin

How is it working out so far? Do you need to wear a neck-brace? =)

Attached Thumbnails A new Avos project just about to be finished-700-00286445w.jpg