XK8 / XKR ( X100 ) 1996 - 2006
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

New grill fitting...advice please

Search this Thread

Old 06-22-2014, 04:51 AM
Received 76 Likes on 58 Posts
Talking New grill fitting...advice please

Hello guys, I bought a " Rabbits tooth " 3 section grill fro my 1999 XK8 last year, so now I have the time to fit it, I would like some advice please. Which way to go? Remove the front bumper or go through the bumper?
How easy is it to remove the front bumper, and would this be the best method?
Any advice would be appreciated.

Attached Thumbnails New grill fitting...advice please-getimage2.jpg   New grill fitting...advice please-p3170218.jpg  
Old 06-22-2014, 07:29 AM
Veteran Member
Received 369 Likes on 228 Posts

I believe you'll need to remove the front bumper to do a quality job....not hard to do but you must remove the front wheel well liners to get to a few of the bolts on each side...which of course requires removing the front wheels.

It helps to have a second pair of hands available so you don't accidentally scratch your paint during the removal and reinstallation.

The following users liked this post:
ArtyH (06-22-2014)
Old 06-22-2014, 08:53 AM
Veteran Member
Received 305 Likes on 217 Posts

No need to remove the front bumper. I followed this tutorial, read the entire thread for more hints too.

https://www.jaguarforums.com/forum/x...tup-faq-40442/

The following users liked this post:
ArtyH (06-22-2014)
Old 06-22-2014, 09:56 AM

Thanks for the replies guy's, one of each eh. Also thanks for the links Keith I had seen it before but had misplaced it, cheers. The teeth will need to be painted as they are original and have suffered a few stone chips, so I will have to take my time with it. Also I noticed that both front wings have been replaced at some point, but hey, they are in great condition and less for me to have to pay for. The pass side is not 100% lined up with the nose cone and it throws the bonnet/hood out about 1 to 2mm so it may be worth while removing the nose and trying to line it up correctly when the grill is going to be fitted. I see from reading the article Keith pointed out that going through the hole is the hardest option, I will have to see how it goes.
Thanks for all the help and if anyone would like to comment further, please do.
Cheers,
Arty.

Old 06-22-2014, 11:35 AM
Veteran Member
Received 305 Likes on 217 Posts

It really isn't all that bad to go through the hole, and a couple of the bolts that Matt says to loosen, do not actually need to be loosened (which is good since I couldn't get at them enough to get them loose)

Here are my comments from that thread:
Originally Posted by K.Westra
Just for future reference, I managed to install it without loosening the black bar (the 19mm bolts). Mine were on there so tight I couldn't break them free, so I thought I'd try it and it worked. Also, I don't think you need to cut quite as much of the bumper as you show in the picture, but it does provide a nice transition curve to do it as shown. One final thing, my chrome splitter was held on by three plastic fir tree fasteners rather than the bolts that are shown here.

Old 06-22-2014, 04:20 PM

Originally Posted by K.Westra
It really isn't all that bad to go through the hole, and a couple of the bolts that Matt says to loosen, do not actually need to be loosened (which is good since I couldn't get at them enough to get them loose)

Here are my comments from that thread:
Many thanks for that extra info Keith, doesn't seem such a bad job now.
Cheers,
Arty.