XK8 / XKR ( X100 ) 1996 - 2006
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Search this Thread

Old 12-21-2009, 06:58 PM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default New Member

I just purchased a 2001 XK8 Convertible with 51K miles.
On my first short drive I smelled something burning and pulled over to see smoke coming from the drivers side of the engine. Possibly a valve cover gasket? I hope nothing worse. The car seems to run fine with no check engine lights on. I have all the service records which show 3 no starts over the 51k miles. Fix shows cleaned or replaced plugs. It is not leaking oil as of yet. Could this be the problem and if so what is the correct procedure to replace the valve cover gaskets? Is there any other issues with oil leaks in this area?
Thanks for helping out a new owner.

Old 12-21-2009, 08:10 PM
Gus
Veteran Member
Received 2,207 Likes on 1,700 Posts

First of all welcome to the forum where you will meet good people with good intentions.
Second do not panic these cars will test you and you need to stay cool and take one step at a time. Oil leaks can take place like any other car and this could be the cause of the odor. Examine your car the best you can and make a list of the things that concerns you then prioritize. If you are unable to do an adequate job then take it to someone you trust. After you make a list and check it twice then priorities the repair. Let us know what you have and we will help or we will try. Also review the past repair records that you have to see what was done.

Old 12-21-2009, 08:50 PM
Veteran Member
Received 1,110 Likes on 932 Posts

Welcome to the wonderful world of Jaguar!

The valve cover gaskets are easy to replace. Gotta take some plastic off but nothing magical. While doing that you need to verify the status of the cam chain tensioners. If they are orange plastic that need to be replaced with the later generation metal versions.

Start here for info on the subject: https://www.jaguarforums.com/forum/s...ead.php?t=4747

The Sticky's above have a wealth of new owner information that you might want to read through.

Holler if you have any questions.

Old 12-23-2009, 07:39 AM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Thanks guys. I contacted the dealer who stated they just replaced the valve cover gaskets at 50K and will be sending me a copy of the RO. Said there is probably some residual oil left in a cavity that is burning off once the engine heats up. I will keep my eye on it and if it continues the dealer said he will pay to fix any leak. The also replaced the timing belt tensioner?

Old 12-23-2009, 11:13 AM
Received 38 Likes on 21 Posts

Welcome - not a real big deal, but they are cam chains, not belts. Lots and lots of posts on this subject and a car with updated chain tensioners is much more desireable than one without. I would definitely try to get documentation of that fix as it will undoubtably help in resale value down the road...

Old 12-23-2009, 04:44 PM
Veteran Member
Received 491 Likes on 215 Posts

AFAIK there is no 'cavity' that will collect oil to burn off later after replacing the cam cover seals. My guess is that when they replaced the cam covers, they did not properly seat the seals, or else the O-ring seals around the cam cover bolts were damaged, and now they are leaking. Look closely around these bolts for any signs of leakage.

Last edited by GordoCatCar; 12-23-2009 at 04:54 PM.