XK8 / XKR ( X100 ) 1996 - 2006
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

New member needs help

Search this Thread

Old 05-01-2011, 08:57 AM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default New member needs help

Last month I bought a 97 XK8 in Florida. It didn't take long before the check engine light came on. A local garage told methat there is a bad attempt at plugging a throttle body leak and they could supply and install a new throttle body for $3000. They said it would run but with a lean mixture. I opted to drive it home to Canada which I did.
Now it is in the garage waiting for a new throttle body which was shipped from Michigan over a week ago. I assume customs are thinking about what to charge. A code reader gives a short term fuel trim of 12.5% on bank one and 17.19% on bank two. Long term it is 14.84% on both banks.
I took off the air hose to the throttle body so that I could see how it's installed and decided that my minimal skills may not be up to the job. So I put the air hose back. Now it will not start. I did find blue plastic tape lying loose under the body after I took off the air hose. Cannot see where the tape came from.
Wish I had found and absorbed Jaguar Forum before I bought.
Any ideas?

Greenbrook

1997 XK8 Jaguar
1999SLk 230 Mercedes
2007 Chev Impala LTZ

Old 05-01-2011, 12:15 PM
Veteran Member
Received 1,110 Likes on 932 Posts

Sorry about the bad start to Jaguar ownership but welcome anyway.

You do not mention any CEL codes but by the fuel trim readings assume that you are getting lean both banks. The most common cause is splits in the 'accordion' section of the air filter to throttle body. Take it off and look at the bottom which sits just above the exhaust manifold which cooks it. Then look for loose or misaligned connections from the filter box to the TB and at the full load breather tube. Then check the part load breather tube on the left bank. Clean the orifice with a small drill bit, 3/32nds I think. Careful, all that 14 year old plastic is subject to breaking.

In the FAQ sticky above there is a 'Won't Start' link with all this and more.

Old 05-01-2011, 12:29 PM
Veteran Member
Received 1,257 Likes on 563 Posts

Yeah, like test point, I'm sorry about the rough start to your ownership experience. I've learned that what at first sounds like a $3000 repair can usually be accomplished with a few dollars in parts and a little bit of elbow grease.

I'd be leery of the need for a new throttle body. If it's running lean, that just means air is leaking in from somewhere. It's just a matter of finding the leak and plugging it. Test point's suggestions are a good start and are pretty common problems on these cars. Fixing it is free, or very cheap. If it turns out to be a problem with the throttle body, another member, OregonJag just took his apart and repaired it on his own. Here's a link to his thread, complete with pictures and everything: https://www.jaguarforums.com/forum/x...-repair-53905/

It sounds like you've already bought a new throttle body. I'm not sure how much you paid, but there are some companies that overhaul/rebuild them for about $500.

I just went and looked. The company I was thinking of advertises on eBay. Here's a link: 97 98 99 00 01 02 03 JAGUAR THROTTLE BODY REBUILD | eBay For $325 they'll rebuild your throttle body and guarantee the work for life. Here's a link directly to their website: http://www.autoecu.com/

Last edited by Reverend Sam; 05-01-2011 at 12:31 PM.
Old 05-01-2011, 02:31 PM
Veteran Member
Received 364 Likes on 327 Posts

I have used that company listed there in the EBAY ad. They rebuilt the main computer for my 97 for hair under 400 bucks. My car was throwing codes like hell. Bad TB, bad ABS module, trac control errors, gearbox faults, even the cruise button light would stay on all the time, that one was odd.
My shop sent out my TB to be repaired, another company, they said it was shot, failed bench test, so we threw on used ones (2), same old results. So I thought after reading stuff here and how the main computer is a big weak point on the 97's I had my orig TB put back on the car, computer fixed and now some 4 months sater having been driven almost daily I can so that the car is running just great. And once I installed the rebuilt computer in the car that odd issue of the cruise button light always been on, went away.
By the way I am for sale. Well maintained car with the bugs worked out of it...
www.yesfans.com/jag/jag.htm

HE HE HE

Last edited by brgjag; 05-01-2011 at 02:35 PM.
Old 05-01-2011, 04:23 PM
Gus
Veteran Member
Received 2,207 Likes on 1,700 Posts

I guess I would ask myself if I really need to replace the TB. It could be that the TB replacement TSB that Jaguar had on this car has not been complied with. The only way to know is to contact Jaguar and ask. It is Service Action S514 “XK8 1997 to 1998 VIN Range 001036 to 031302”

As Tom suggested the CEL Codes (OBD II) would be helpful in identifying the problem. I found that without them I would be diagnosing your problem based on your input alone and that would be unfair to you. Can you tell us what the codes are?

As for the no start, that could be a number of things causing the problem. Is the car turning over and sounding like it has no compression (the motor spinning)?

Old 05-01-2011, 05:52 PM

Thank You
The codes that came up were:

P0171 Bank 1 Combustion Too Lean Stored Codes P0157 O2 Circuit Low Voltage (Bank 2, Sensor 2) P0160 O2 Circuit No Activity Detected (Bank 2, Sensor 2) Pending Codes P0171 Bank 1 Combustion Too Lean P0157 O2 Circuit Low Voltage (Bank 2, Sensor 2) P1111 System Check CompleteThere is no leak in the accordion section. I`m not sure about the hose to the top of bank 1 as I do not want to pull hard and I am having trouble disconnecting it.
Greenbrook

Old 05-01-2011, 06:02 PM

More follow up. I can`t open Oregonjag`s link as I am to new but will e mail Jaguar about the throttle body as I have VIN 16393

Old 05-01-2011, 06:58 PM
Gus
Veteran Member

It looks like you fall into that category and the problem is that the TB replacement ended Dec 2009. When was the last time you had the battery checked? It sounds to me to be a low or failed battery. As for the no start we still need additional info.

Last edited by Gus; 05-01-2011 at 06:59 PM. Reason: correction on year
The following users liked this post:
Greenbrook (05-02-2011)
Old 05-02-2011, 09:03 AM
Received 130 Likes on 103 Posts
Default Battery

I'm with Gus in regard to the battery. Make sure it is completely up to the task, cars with early 2000 era electronics require good solid power. Have it load tested and if there is any question at all, replace it. It is money well spent and eliminates the battery as a source of trouble - this causes a lot of headaches that are unnecessary.

As far as the throttle body, opt for a rebuild if you can, replacement is absolutely the last resort. You might try these guys:

Jaguar Electronic Throttle Bodies OEM Cross-Reference Guide - Jaytan Industries, Inc.

Expect to pay about $700.

I would also recommend you call Butch at this listing, he has a supply of NEW throttle bodkes available at an excellent price. I don't know if your application will work, but he will:

JAGUAR XJ8 AND XK8 THROTTLE BODY NEW PART | eBay

Please tell him Scott in Chicago sent you.

Good luck!

Old 05-02-2011, 11:10 AM

Throttle Body
I bought a new throttle body from Britishpartsplace in Michigan on E bay for $499. It was shipped almost two weeks ago and is presumably stuck in Customs somewhere on it;s way into Canada. My big problem is to get it to start. The battery turns the engine over fine but it feels like the electronics have been set in a do not start mode. There is no attempt to fire. Unfortunately for me the last time I worked on a car was in the 70`s on an MGB and so I am climbing a very steep learning curve! I think I have disturbed the wiring but I do not know how.

Old 05-02-2011, 12:57 PM
Gus
Veteran Member

Read this and see if it is going to help No Start Situation 1997 2000 xk8 A no start is common with a nikasil block. That is why i asked questions as to what it is doing when attempting to start. I hope this helps!

Old 05-02-2011, 05:19 PM

Thank You so much. I thought I had done something stupid and I had. I took the car out of the garage washed it and put it back! The car has had S819 but not 479. I just tried to start it several times and it kicked but didn`t start. I left it to rest and will try again before pulling the plugs. By the way the battery tested at 13.5 volts no load. It is a Werker with no date that I can identify so I will take it for a load test. I had read the Nikasil info but thought it was no problem with low sulphur fuel. Keeps an old mans brain working.
Thanks again

Old 05-02-2011, 06:34 PM
Received 2,183 Likes on 1,355 Posts

sounds like it may be flooded and washed the oil film off the cylinder walls and results in very low compression. pull 4 spark plugs out on the easy side(driver) and squirt engine oil in the holes to restore compression. This should get it to start and the oil will be thrown up onto the other side and you should be running again. Ont he 02 sensor faults, check that all 4 connectors all plugged in as theyre behind the throttlebody above the trans. I would clear codes and if youve ellminated the air/vacuum leaks then focus on the 02 sensors as its thier job to report fuel mixture to the ecu and if theyre slow and or faulty you can get erroneous mix codes

Old 05-02-2011, 07:43 PM

Gus I`d like to thank you again. I went out after supper and tried it again and on the fourth try it started. I took for a good run and then visited with neighbours for a while. It started fist time. No check engine light. Canada post have told me I can pick up the new throttle body tomorrow. Then I can settle down to a summer of learning to be a mechanic and enjoying the car.