XK8 / XKR ( X100 ) 1996 - 2006
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

New owner

Search this Thread

Old 02-08-2011, 02:37 PM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default New owner

Hello all. Came across a black/black 2002 coupe 70k. Jumped on it. Couple of things. I've searched the FAQ and read through many pages of the postings. This car has pin stripes w/the jag near the door handles. This seems dated to me and I want to remove this, for cleaner apperance. Is this common for these to have pin stripes or what? Anyone else have pin stripes?

Next, I'm updating to the XKR mesh grill, but one of the bumperetts is cracked. The front license plates covers this up, so you really can't see it. However, I will not have a front license plate. Are these easy find or any other solutions?

Also, I called the dealership where the car was originaly purchased. Service couldn't tell me the exact history of the car, unless I had written permission from previous owner. He did tell me that the timimg chain was replaced. I asked about tensioners and he said this is the same thing. Is this true or am I missing something?

thanks for your help. will post pics after a good detail and window tint.

ss

Old 02-08-2011, 03:05 PM
Veteran Member
Received 1,258 Likes on 564 Posts

Timing chains and tensioners are two different items. I'm surprised that the dealership can't tell you if that has been done or not. It's easy enough to inspect, though. You'll just need another gasket and a little free time.

The pin stripe has to go. I can't imagine what it looks like, but I'd take it off before I let anyone else see the car. You'll probably have to take some rubbing compound, polishing compound, and wax to the car after removing the stripe just to get rid of the ghost image where it used to be. With it being a black paint job I doubt there will be any difference in color from fading.

Old 02-08-2011, 03:07 PM
Veteran Member

Oh... and even if the tensioners were replaced, you want to make sure the new ones are the metal tensioners. They might have just replaced them with the old plastic ones.

However, now that I think about it, didn't Jag quit using the plastic tensioners in 2001? Someone else will have to answer that. I think the later 4.0s had metal tensioners by default.

Old 02-08-2011, 03:12 PM

Consider the pin stripes GONE...thanks

Old 02-08-2011, 03:39 PM
Received 12 Likes on 11 Posts

The dealer not telling you the history of the car really sets me off. Did he say it was there policy or it's a law? This is not "privacy act" information. The dealer is showing more loyalty to the previous owner than to you. That dealership would be crossed off my list. Sorry... maybe I am out of line.

Old 02-08-2011, 03:47 PM

They are the ONLY dealer in town. Lovely. I'll just get something in writting from previous owner and be done w/it? Right?

Old 02-08-2011, 04:27 PM
Veteran Member
Received 1,110 Likes on 932 Posts

With permission from the previous owner the dealer can produce the actual repair invoices. Without that release they can not because the invoices contains name, address, phone, etc. You wouldn't want your info distributed. They can produce a report of all 'warranty' work but that will contain limited information on the repair.

A concerned service adviser should be able to review the service/repair history and advise what should be addressed.

My '00 black XK8 had stripes. They were not painted on but were decals. They came off easily with a drill motor mounted 'eraser'. Looked a lot better. Stop by your local auto paint supply shop.

Trending Topics

Old 02-08-2011, 05:46 PM
Received 70 Likes on 62 Posts

I'm with everyone about the stripes needing to go. You might check in the auto section at WalMart for a vinyl tape remover--that dissolves the glue. Use the lightest abrasive/polish you can find to remove the residual dull marks. Note: My WalMart has a full section of 3M brand professional body shop supplies.

I recently put NuFinish Scratch Remover on a light scratch, and had to send my car to a professional detailer to get the whole car buffed out/detailed--$125 mistake. Just because modern clearcoat finishes are shiny doesn't mean they still don't need waxing every 6 mos.

Old 02-08-2011, 06:52 PM

Yeah, I figured the pin stripes were a silly question..Just making sure. Being a previous BMW owner, I'd know the answer to that question. Just making sure. I want to start off on the right foot here, with this JAG thing. What about my broken/cracked bumperette (the black verticl piece of plastic in the air dam). How do I find/replace this?

ss

Old 02-08-2011, 09:19 PM
Received 70 Likes on 62 Posts

"Front Guard" Part # may be HJE6504AC with an approximate list price of $82.65. You could just replace it, or maybe bondo/sand the broken one and paint both bumperettes with spray paint. You can get the part by mail order from a number of dealer sponsors on this Forum.

The following users liked this post:
sparkshaneman (02-08-2011)
Old 02-09-2011, 03:02 PM
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

A heat gun or even blow dryer should loosen up the stripes and you could remove em by hand. You'll have to polish it up though

The following users liked this post:
sparkshaneman (02-09-2011)
Old 02-09-2011, 09:30 PM
Received 108 Likes on 78 Posts

The metal tensioners didn't come out until the 4.2L engine in MY03. Unfortunately you can't tell the condition of the lower guides and tensioners just by pulling the cam covers.

Pickup the new book called XK8 A Modern Sporting Icon. Tells you quite a bit about the mechanicals with great How-Tos and specs, plus production numbers, and modifications.

Purchased my 00XKR w/65k mi and the guides were cracked pretty bad. See if you can find out if the chains, primary tensioners, secondary tensioners and guides were replaced. The cost of the repair parts may give you a clue.

Old 02-09-2011, 09:50 PM
Location: Marin County, CA, USA - Just north of San Francisco
Received 10 Likes on 9 Posts

Hi - Welcome. I too have a 2002 XKR (B&B as a matter of fact!). Little known fact is that the tensioners were upgraded on the 4.0 2002 models with builds after 7/01. You really have to get the actual engine build # to make sure, but a Jag dealer can give it to you if they want to - ask them for the "build sheet" for your particular VIN#.

You are looking for a report called "SGW310BM" for your VIN #...

My 2002 CVT was assembled 11/01, and the engine was built 10/26/01@6:53PM! Engine #PA0110260653. There are other threads about this topic and how to decode the numbers.

PS You and I have another treasure - a very solid 5 speed Mercedes transmission! "03s" and above have a more troublesome 6 speed that came from other sources. Enjoy it! DaleD

Old 02-09-2011, 09:59 PM
Veteran Member
Received 1,110 Likes on 932 Posts

August '01, engine serial number 010813HHMM.

Old 02-09-2011, 10:36 PM
Location: Marin County, CA, USA - Just north of San Francisco
Received 10 Likes on 9 Posts

Originally Posted by test point
August '01, engine serial number 010813HHMM.
Thanks Test Point - I stand "fine-tuned"! I never was one for detailed accuracy... DaleD

Old 02-09-2011, 10:47 PM
Veteran Member

Originally Posted by DaleD

PS You and I have another treasure - a very solid 5 speed Mercedes transmission! "03s" and above have a more troublesome 6 speed that came from other sources.
You may have a (slightly) more reliable transmission, but I have an extra gear, a more reliable engine, and FOUR extra horses under the hood. Plus I bet my rims are bigger.

Old 02-10-2011, 02:22 PM

Pin stripes GONE!!!! Tint should go on in the next day or 2. Spoke to previous owner, now I can obtain service history/records. All things are moving forward
I do have a pic, but not allowing to show/attach.

Old 02-10-2011, 07:20 PM
Received 25 Likes on 17 Posts

Originally Posted by Fla Steve
Pickup the new book called XK8 A Modern Sporting Icon. Tells you quite a bit about the mechanicals with great How-Tos and specs, plus production numbers, and modifications.
Is this book still available in the states?

Old 02-10-2011, 07:27 PM
Veteran Member
Received 2,981 Likes on 2,123 Posts

If it is still available it will be on the automobile magazine shelf of your local Barnes and Noble. Otherwise you might have to order it from the UK.

Old 02-11-2011, 02:36 PM
Received 7 Likes on 3 Posts

I was fortunate enough to talk the service manager into providing me with a full history on my 2002 xk8. It might have helped that I was buying a $100 spare key with an additional $100 tab for programing the key

Check out the Mina gallery for grills. They have a black powder coated one that I am eying for my black coupe

http://www.minagallery.com/jagxp/Jag...domegrille.htm

Quick Reply: New owner