XK8 / XKR ( X100 ) 1996 - 2006
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

New week, correction ....now new day, new problem...

Search this Thread

Old 12-25-2010, 02:33 PM
Veteran Member
Received 1,259 Likes on 564 Posts

Tim, for what you paid for the XK you could buy a Mercedes SLK or a Lexus SC, but then you'd be driving a car that most people don't give a second look. In my Jag people STARE. On multiple occasions I've had people roll down their windows at stoplights to ask me what kind of car it is, or to just tell me that it's gorgeous. Personally I don't mind dealing with a few minor glitches; I'm driving a work of art. But if that's not for you, then like BlkCat said, everyone would respect your decision. These cars aren't for everyone.

Old 12-25-2010, 07:12 PM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Jack,

That is part of my disappointment. Again, I have been very lucky to have had many cars in the past including, embarrassing so, a Kia Rio with 0 problems (lol). I have had 4 Miatas, for which you can relate with 0 problems other than changing the oil.
My last Miata is/was the newest generation. Man, that car was nice, but the ride was horrid. Some people like that rough sporty ride, but not me. That was the only reason for dumping it. I felt as if the car had cement tires.

With that said, I am NOT giving up though. Yes, the XK rides aslike you are floating and is a tough and solid feeling car. It is the gremlins that does run my blood pressure up. It is only for one reason, I am not used to having these types of things go wrong in the past. So for all of you senior Jag owners, I will get use to this and I will keep in mind to have a quality made product as like this car, gremlins did come with some of our XK's. I will never criticize my fellow Jag owners, because from what I have recently read, Jag owners are a great specific breed that takes care of their cars, and they seem to maintain them respectfully. I do get angy at the suits at any Motor company when many times they absolutely know of past and present problems/defects (i.e. green showers). Instead of correcting problems out of the factory gate, they hope that due to cost effectiveness, they let us handle these problems locally through the warranty process and let the dice roll. I consider that very BAD quality control. It will inturn kill any one company's reputation over time and hence possibly hurt our resale values. Hummmm, sounds like some American car companies. I better stop while I am ahead.

The best thing is that I have a great warranty, and the folks who have already served my needs have been absolutely outstanding, Again, being in their garage more than mine recently has been a disappointment and has been the driver for my recent very negative attitude. As things get fixed, and as time goes on, I will chill more and more as each day passes.

Old 12-25-2010, 07:21 PM

Reverend Sam,

I agree, the XK stands out. It is a piece of mechanic art, and it does stand out from the ordinally cookie cutter cars. Funny, if you really want the looks and people flocking, get a Smart Car. When I had my two, I had people hanging out their windows taking pictures of me down the interstate. It was very entertaining to watch. I took those cars everywhere even coast to coast without one problem. The only negitive was when you went from 0-60mph, it took 5 minutes to achieve that speed. Well almost it seemed. They still were fine little fun cars. Again, NO comparison to a quality Jag though. Day verses night. ....of course the gas mileage is also day vs. night as well. lol.

Old 12-25-2010, 08:24 PM
Veteran Member
Received 537 Likes on 400 Posts

The most unexpected and disappointing thing I discovered with this car is the fact that so many important components apparently went to the cheapest provider. Imagine that such a small but critical part like a chain tensioner that is subjected to all sorts of harsh conditions (heat, vibration, corrosive fumes, etc.) would be made out of plastic--who thought that one up?? Ditto for the convertible hydraulic hoses and fittings.

These cars were certainly no chump change when new. I would have thought a car that listed for well over $70K would have had parts manufactured by the best providers to the highest standards. Sadly, that is not the case.

Doug

Old 12-25-2010, 09:14 PM
Veteran Member
Received 364 Likes on 327 Posts

I am glad I only paid 10.5k for mine 97 two years ago with 65k on it. If I had paid for a much newer one and paid alot I would be pissed. Ha ha ha
But with this 97 pf mine I know the two problems that I have had have BROKEN. Fixed now, but still frustrating.
Wife swares she will NEVER part with it so I am stuck to keep it on the road. Maybe someday I will move her up to a new 05 or the like, but by then all the crap on the 97 will have been fixed. Ha ha ha
Anyone got a horse I can buy. Ha ha

Old 12-25-2010, 11:50 PM
Received 108 Likes on 78 Posts
Red face No I feel bad

Okay maybe whining was harsh. But after all I did (yes I did the work and could not have afforded to pay someone to do it) I thought you were trashing the car over something so small. If I'd paid $50-60k or more i'd be really upset. But I bought a now 11 year old car with 65k miles for 20% of its new cost so my "mindset" is that there will be problems to sort out. I felt I have now earned this car for what I've done. But I haven't replaced all the coolant hoses for example; there are a couple of dozen, so if I get a coolant leak in the future I will be disappointed but it won't be unexpected. Now if something I fix comes back at me then I'll start ranting I suppose. It's all worth it if you get that extra special feeling when you drive it. Just remember, there is a reason these cars are so affordable to buy, their reputation for poor reliability makes them so. I COMPLETELY AGREE we shouldn't have to make excuses for a car this expensive to purchase new; Jaguar should have stepped up and fixed everything known; on the other hand Toyota NEVER admitted to a "stuck accelerator pedal" design/software flaw or what ever caused it. But if XKs had a better reputation, or cheaper repair costs they would have a much higher resale value. Final thought, my car is 100% at the moment. I certainly hope it stays that way, but the probability is low. I knew nothing about them at purchase but this forum has since educated me greatly and I'm bummed by all the various problems that can occur. In my short two months of ownership I haven't gotten to enjoy it all that much...but "The Love Has Begun!" I have more passion for this car than I would a Corvette, BMW, Porsche, Mercedes, Nissan, Mustang etc....... if you don't feel that then maybe you have the wrong car (not meaning to be judge-mental or opinionated)

Last edited by Fla Steve; 12-26-2010 at 12:01 AM. Reason: Added corrections
Old 12-26-2010, 03:51 PM

Steve, thanks for the nice letter response above. I fully understand where you are coming from. Funny, I have a new vette with 0 problems (so far), BUT, I still have more compasion for my preowned XK, for what reasons I really cannot understand as of yet. I went to the Mall today and parked away from the other herds, but not too far away to honk someone off. Of course when I returned, a SUV was parked inches away from the passengers side. People can be so mean and stupid. The thing that really bothers me is that I found a pigeon close to my car ,and of course I found new scratch marks on the hood (clearcoat). I am now telling myself, the more that I worry and try to baby the car, I will go nuts trying to keep it pristine unless I just don't drive it anywhere. It is my daily driver so I will just have to live with the SUV's and the dang pigeons in this wonderful world of ours.

Old 12-26-2010, 04:13 PM
Veteran Member
Received 2,982 Likes on 2,123 Posts
Thumbs up

On just about any other car forum this thread would have erupted into a flame war. The quality of the folks that frequent this forum is exceptional and unique !

Old 12-26-2010, 08:58 PM

You are exactly right. From now on, I will personally vent in a more professional way. I will kick my dog first before ranting. Seriously, I think that everyone understands that Jag has its minor problems, but the love affair does indeed overcome the small fixable items.

Old 12-27-2010, 10:13 AM
Veteran Member
Received 256 Likes on 200 Posts

Originally Posted by texastim
You are exactly right. Seriously, I think that everyone understands that Jag has its minor problems, but the love affair does indeed overcome the small fixable items.
You are exactly right! It is a love/hate relationship, but there is more love involved.

Last edited by hlgeorge; 12-27-2010 at 10:16 AM.
Old 12-27-2010, 10:49 AM
Veteran Member
Received 537 Likes on 400 Posts

Originally Posted by texastim
Steve, thanks for the nice letter response above. I fully understand where you are coming from. Funny, I have a new vette with 0 problems (so far), SUV was parked inches away from the passengers side. People can be so mean and stupid. The thing that really bothers me is that I found a pigeon close to my car ,and of course I found new scratch marks on the hood (clearcoat). I am now telling myself, the more that I worry and try to baby the car, I will go nuts trying to keep it pristine unless I just don't drive it anywhere. It is my daily driver so I will just have to live with the SUV's and the dang pigeons in this wonderful world of ours.
RE: the Vette--congratulations. I think you will be very pleased as the 1995 Corvette I owned for 14 years was EXCEPTIONALLY reliable and relatively inexpensive to maintain. My best advice to you for that is ditch the dealer and find a good knowledgeable independent.

RE: being able to drive the car and not worry. Sorry but I have no advice for that. I have always been **** with my cars and have gone to ridiculous lengths to prevent dings, scratches, etc. I have been mostly very successful with the cars that I drive regularly since, like you, I avoid parking next to people, under trees or phone lines where birds like to take target practice, etc. I have been most uncomfortable with the Jaguar since this is by far the most classy and pricey (at least when new) car that I have ever owned and even a small ding would stick out on the smooth and perfect curves of the car. On the very rare occasion when I go somewhere and need to use a parking lot and fail to find an end space or another isolated space, I end up in a cold sweat for the entire time I am away from the car dreading that when I return I will find some unsightly ding (did I mention I was ****?). Doug

Old 12-27-2010, 09:32 PM

Funny you mention the ding thing. EVERYTIME before I get into my car, I check for dings! I ALWAYS go to my ding guy within days afterwards. Now that is ****. lol
That is why I have been somewhat negitive in my earlier posts. It is war between I and the remaining little gremlins. Our cars are too good not to be corrected and stay ahead of the maintenance game.

Old 12-27-2010, 09:36 PM

......and another sad part, I get more dings from dealerships (with OTHER cars in the past, not this one yet) when it was in for repair. AND, I ask them not to ever wash it. Many dealerships have automatic car washes, and even if they do not, gosh only knows what used towels they use, etc.