XK8 / XKR ( X100 ) 1996 - 2006
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

newbe XK8 owner - purge valve issue

Search this Thread

Old 01-04-2010, 01:57 PM
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default newbe XK8 owner - purge valve issue

Hello fellow Jag enthusiasts! I am new to this forum but not to my love of cars and I belong to a few other forums. Our Jaguar is a 2000 XK8 convertible with 47k miles.
We have owned the car for a few years and have had a fuel odor issue since we bought it. I have had it to Matheny in Jacksonville 4 times for the same problem. Two years ago they changed the purge valve as they said the original one had design problems. I brought the car back to them a month later with the same issue and they did several tests and then said it was the gas cap. As you can see by the mileage we don't use the car much and have gone only 3,000 miles from the original purge valve being changed.
I brought the car in for the same issue last week and they are telling me the purge valve they installed is cracked and they want another $400 to "re" fix it. I have an issue paying for something twice when it never worked the first time and elected to not have them do the work again. Where is the best place to purchase this part and how difficult is it to change? I have above average mechanic skills and am in the process of doing a frame up build on an older Corvette but I must admit not knowing much about these "new" cars.
Thanks for all of your input.

Old 01-04-2010, 05:30 PM
Received 9 Likes on 9 Posts

Hi,
Welcome to the Forum! It sucks having to deal with the same problem twice in a relatively short time. I purchased a Purge Valve recently, and although I did not install it myself, I am pretty sure that it was not a big job. My Mechanic did not charge very much to put it in, and the part is readilly available from several sources. He wanted to order it from Jaguar, and we did so just in case there were any complications. The number is LJB1515AA also (superceded by# LJB1515AB). This applies to XK8/XKR 1997-2005. If you have trouble finding it let me know and I'll look back at my other sources, as it was available at a somewhat lower price.
Regards and good luck,
Brian

Old 01-04-2010, 06:21 PM

Thanks, do you remember about what you paid for the part and can anyone recommend a good resource for what is involved with this? The dealer has it in for a two hour job.

Old 01-05-2010, 06:02 AM

Hi,
Here is a used one on eBay for $31.00. New ones are available for about $130.00. You just have to do a little work yourself and search the 'Net for a deal.
Good luck,
Brian

http://cgi.ebay.com/Jaguar-XJ8-XK8-F...item3efa859a41

Old 01-05-2010, 07:37 PM
Veteran Member
Received 256 Likes on 200 Posts

www.Jaguarparts.com has a new one for $67.79.

Old 01-06-2010, 04:47 AM

Now that's a good deal, I'd jump on it. Good find Lew!
Brian

Old 01-12-2010, 07:23 AM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default XK8 purge valve

Does anyone know the location of the purge valve on the car? I have purchased a new one and want to replace it without tearing the car apart to find its location.

Old 01-12-2010, 08:01 AM
Veteran Member
Received 1,110 Likes on 932 Posts

Front left hand wheel behind splash shield.

Remove wheel.

Remove splash shield

Old 01-14-2010, 04:20 PM

What is the best manual to buy so I can do this myself?
It is clear that Matheny in Jacksonville is not going to help and has let me know it is my problem not theirs even if it has been there four times for the same issue and they have replaced the valve once already.

Old 01-14-2010, 05:32 PM
Veteran Member
Received 1,110 Likes on 932 Posts

Really, the only manual is the CD based Jaguar Technical Information System (JTIS) which was the official dealer service manual prior to '04 when they converted to an on-line system.

It is continually available on eBay for $10 or less. It is also available as a free down load from here:

https://www.jaguarforums.com/forum/s...ead.php?t=9933

Lots of discussion on the (in)ability to access information on the JTIS as it is not intuitively easy to find stuff. Accessing the 'Help' file (maybe several times) unlocks the locks blocking most of the information.

Old 01-26-2010, 03:00 PM
Default Purge Valve replacement

I just replaced my purge valve (new item purchased on ebay for $24 + shipping), and it was extremely easy, no instructions needed.

Old 01-29-2010, 05:16 PM

How long did it take - any special tools? Could you give a breif description of how it went? $24 is the cheapest I have heard - the dealer wants $120.

Old 01-29-2010, 06:44 PM
Veteran Member
Received 491 Likes on 215 Posts

Originally Posted by test point
Front left hand wheel behind splash shield.

Remove wheel.

Remove splash shield
Here's a pic behind the splash shield on the drivers side wheelwell.

Other than the fuel odor, did you have any other symptoms? Did the check engine light come on?

Attached Thumbnails newbe XK8 owner - purge valve issue-driversidewheelwellhousing-002.jpg   newbe XK8 owner - purge valve issue-purgevalve-002.jpg  

Last edited by GordoCatCar; 01-29-2010 at 06:55 PM.
Old 02-01-2010, 06:54 AM
Default Purge valve

It took me about a half hour to replace mine, with minimal mess. Once you remove the wheel, there will be the fasteners holding the splash shield and may consist of nuts, screws and/or others that require a screwdriver and some pliers to remove. Then, I used a deep 10mm socket and a torx driver to remove the bracket holding the purge valve (you don't HAVE to remove the bracket, but it makes it easier to maneuver the valve so you can remove hose clamps, etc.). Pull off the vent hose (by hand), unplug the wire, which should be very easy if done correctly, and move the 2 clamps on the hoses, allowing you to pull them off. That's it. Assembly is the opposite of reverse. Amazingly easy and easy to get to.

Old 02-04-2010, 09:43 AM

Thanks for the help - that looks very easy. So the dealer gets over $450 for this???

Yes the check engine light came on and when the dealer checked it they said the valve they had installed was cracked causing the odor.

Old 02-05-2010, 06:49 AM
Default Purge Valve check engine

My car originally had the fuel odor and one day the warning "Check Gas cap" displayed, and the Check Engine light came on. Replacing the valve completely took care of the gas smell, but the light stayed on. I was going to just wait until my next oil change to have the dealership take care of the light, but after a couple of weeks, the light just went out on it's own.

Old 05-01-2010, 08:05 PM
Default Purge Valve and Canister Close Valve need replacing

Thanks for the help. I have wrestled with the check engine light (P0455 - Evap system leak Major) for weeks. Jag dealer first couldn't find the leak, and later said they found that both the purge valve and the canister close valve (is this the CCV?) needed replacement ($600+). Are both these valves, including the canister, located in the left wheel well? I assume I must replace the whole canister, since I can't find a part number or picture of a so-called CCV valve). I have a 2000 Jag XKR convertible. Also, someone mentioned a replacement to the purge valve part - which part number should I order? Thanks. Dan

Old 05-02-2010, 12:45 AM
Veteran member
Received 1,144 Likes on 750 Posts

hope this helps

The following users liked this post:
djpxk8 (02-25-2011)
Old 05-02-2010, 04:42 PM
Default Evap emissions purge valve and CCV valve

Thanks for the pic. I do not know for sure if my Jag (2000 XKR) has this onboard fueling vapor recovery system. How do I know? My JTIS DVD shows two canisters on the underneath, beneath the gas tank, and one up front along with the purge valve depicted. Does that mean that my system may only have one canister (up front), two in back, or three altogether? If so, I guess I have to ask the Jag dealer which one(s) were leaking in the so-called canister close valve (which I can't seem to find in any of my DVD stuff). Does anyone know for sure, before I start crawling around underneach, and taking apart the left wheel well? Thanks. Dan

Old 05-02-2010, 04:44 PM
Default Purge valve (cont)

Also, my JTIS DVD doesn't show the pic you have illustrated. What source are you using for this picture, and how do I buy the information (DVD or Book?). JTIS DVD is a pain in the a** to use, and not all that useful. Thanks again. Dan

Quick Reply: newbe XK8 owner - purge valve issue