XK8 / XKR ( X100 ) 1996 - 2006
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Newbie bought 99 XK8 - Advice Plz

Old 04-22-2016, 10:49 AM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Smile Newbie bought 99 XK8 - Advice Plz

Hi.
I inadvertently bought my Bro's 99 XK8 Conv. So it begins. 49K mi, he owned it since 3,200mi/2002. Garage queen and <500mi a year in last 3 years. Phx Red/Cashmere w chrome fact wheels.

Fluids and basics well maintained, but rarely saw a Jag dealership other then ~$4k to replace wear and tear frt suspension parts awhile back.
Runs and shifts impeccably, slight tire/struts/alignment vibration at ~70-75MPH.

I wasn't looking to buy one nor am I up to speed on them --- but need to get there.

I am going to start getting mechanicals some pro-active attention. Just finished flushing the top hydraulics. I am installing pads all around (Akebono) plus coolant drain/ replace this weekend.

I have learned of tensioner design issue, top hydraulics issues, Nikasil cyls (an issue with AZ's Ethanol-oxiginated gas?). What else should I be considering/monitoring?

Can anyone recommend local Phoenix area Jag person to do tensioner, chain etc and water pump replacement? I will have hood and nose already off, so good time to do front engine mechanicals and save labor costs while those parts are off I think.

Please - I welcome any all advice etc! I may end up having the car for a long time.

Old 04-22-2016, 05:05 PM
Received 64 Likes on 45 Posts

I recommend alldatadiy subscription. It will give you detailed service instructions, and also list prices for parts and the official labor hours for any task so that you know what to expect.

If you read again, you will see that the Nikasil issues were related to high sulfur fuels early in last decade, short trips, and long interval oil changes. If the engine starts up immediately (not a lot of cranking hot or cold), and passes leak down and/or compression testing, then it is a survivor and many would argue actually a better engine than the iron liner version.

ALLDATAdiy.com Leading Source of Factory Automotive Repair Information

Last edited by 64vette; 04-22-2016 at 05:08 PM.
Old 04-22-2016, 05:28 PM
Received 38 Likes on 32 Posts

Welcome. Make sure you visit the new members area and sign up. It also helps to have the year and model included in your signature. You will love the car. The tensioners are the big gotcha. About 1200.00, versus 10K for a new motor. There are several great articles in the sticky section worth reading. A lot of problems are related to low voltage in the battery. If it hasn't got a new battery or if it hasn't been on a tender you might want to get both. The Nikasil problem is a non issue for you. However even flushing the hydraulics the top latch hoses will eventually fail. Good luck have fun.

Old 04-22-2016, 05:35 PM
Gus
Veteran Member
Received 2,207 Likes on 1,700 Posts

Welcome to the Jaguar family. Now the fun begins!!

Old 04-22-2016, 08:47 PM
Veteran Member
Received 2,781 Likes on 2,225 Posts

Welcome to the forum. The important issues have been covered, but understand the tires will probably need replacing, even if they look good, if they are over six years old. Likewise the hoses, and the brake and cooling systems definitely should be flushed.

Old 04-23-2016, 08:40 AM
Received 105 Likes on 65 Posts

I fully agree with Rick above. Do the tensioner kit. The battery tender is good advice, too.
Great people here that will help/guide you through any issues you have.They have been a world of help to me.

And, enjoy the car, welcome to the forum!