Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Newbie needs advice for purchase

Search this Thread

Old 08-28-2007, 07:51 PM
Veteran Member
Received 537 Likes on 400 Posts
Default Newbie needs advice for purchase

I posted this under the new-user area but it probably should be here so here goes.

I am a total newbie here and not all that familiar with Jags, other my childhood recollections to "stay away from British cars". However, the first car I fell in love with was the XKE that came out when I was a kid in the early 1960s.

I happened to be browsing on a car lot recently and saw what looked to be an immaculate 2001 XK8 Convertible. It had about 40000 miles and the asking price was about $26K. This seems like a good price but, like I said, I really don't know much about these cars other than I have always liked the way they look.

How is maintenance and reliability of these things, and does this look like a typical price for that vintage and mileage?

By the way, if this should be posted elsewhere on the forum, the moderator should feel free to move it.

Thanks,

Doug

Old 08-28-2007, 08:29 PM
Veteran Member
Received 2,429 Likes on 1,828 Posts
Default RE: Newbie needs advice for purchase

the 8 cylinder Ford-Jaguars are a reliability disaster, just ask people whoare trying to get rid of them , they'll tell you: "oh they are great cars". Right.

$26 grand? you can get them at auctions for $10 grand or less, that's probably where that car dealer got it. They don't hold their value, Like I said, it's a disaster of major proportions. Jaguars have no resale value, and right now we are at an all-time low. Big time depreciation, I'm told by my friends in the auction business..

BMW, Mercedes, Infiniti, and even Toyota are holding up, while modern Jaguars are worth nothing. Now, if you want a 1959 XK model, that will cost about $140 grand. yeehaww!

Old 08-28-2007, 08:33 PM
Veteran Member

Well that's very sad to hear. I always thought these cars looked like rolling works of art with perfect lines but I did not realize that they were mechanical disasters. Are the problems big stuff or more like numerous small problems? The car on the lot looks like the previous owner took much pride and, presumably, also maintained the car well.

Old 08-29-2007, 09:33 AM
Veteran Member
Received 21 Likes on 20 Posts

Most of the time, Jose and I agree on almost everything. This isn't one of those times. The 01 should have steel sleeved cylinders instead of the Nikosil and should have one of the later timing chain mods. I don't think it's late enough to have the metal upper tensioners and that would concern me. If you purchase, work into the deal that the timing components be replaced with the latest upgraded timing components. Engine failure was the big killer for the Jaguar V8's from 97 to 00. And, that was mostly due to faulty upper timing chain tensioners. They seemed to get there act together after that.

Besides that, it's the little nit picky stuff that has always plagued British cars. But they look so cool no one really minds that stuff!

Ok, blast me, Jose!

Old 08-29-2007, 11:18 AM
Veteran Member

Thanks for the responses so far. Where I am coming from is that after 12 years, I will be replacing my 95 Corvette--mostly so that I can end my wife's constant complaining about that car. So I have been looking for something that is still sporty but "more mature". The two cars that grabbed my attention somewhat are the new Infiniti G37 and the BMW 335i. Neither car really excites me as much as my 12 year old Vette and, in both cases, I am looking at spending upwards of $40k.

I have always loved the look of the XK but never seriously considered since I knew they were expensive when new and I figured would be expensive used. I had not expected a pristine looking 2001 with only 40,000 miles to have what I thought was a fairly reasonable asking price of $26k. But I emphasize that up to then, I had not done one ounce of research. My wife, of course, thinks I am nuts for looking at ANY used car, but if I at least could convince her that these were reasonably reliable, I would have a fighting chance. To me, the car looks like a $70k car and, based purely on the looks alone, I would get a greater thrill seeing this in my garage for $26k versus seeing a BMW 335i or Infiniti G37 in my garage for $40k+.

Of course this dream goes out the window if it turns out that these are no more than good-looking money pits that need to be in the shop every other week.

Doug

Old 08-29-2007, 11:27 AM
Veteran member
Received 1,144 Likes on 750 Posts

Gotta side with ken on this one, as I also believe Jose's opinion was indeed based on those later models. Being a relatively new owner of a pre-owned XK8, I did alot of research as well, and the newer models (at least the XK8 research I did) have actually had positive long-term maintenance reports. I think edmunds.comrates these type of used car characteristics. After my own investigations, I was pretty confident that I would not be making the wrong choice. Now I was selective in what I chose eventually, after all, maintenance and care of a vehicle with the prior owner is very important to me. I wrote up a little more XK shopping advice to another member here -> www.jaguarforums.com/m_22522/tm.htm, so maybe that will help you too.

As for the price, well, best suggestion there is to look on cars.comand autotrader.comto see what the market is like for that year and mileage. 40,000 isn't bad at all for a 2001. I got my 2003 with 41,500 on it. Just depends on condition and how well it was taken care of. good luck, and let us know what you end up doing.

Another link to look at... may help

http://consumerguideauto.howstuffwor...k-series-6.htm

Old 08-29-2007, 11:40 AM
Veteran Member

ORIGINAL: h20boy

Gotta side with ken on this one, as I also believe Jose's opinion was indeed based on those later models. Being a relatively new owner of a pre-owned XK8, I did alot of research as well, and the newer models (at least the XK8 research I did) have actually had positive long-term maintenance reports. I think edmunds.comrates these type of used car characteristics. After my own investigations, I was pretty confident that I would not be making the wrong choice. Now I was selective in what I chose eventually, after all, maintenance and care of a vehicle with the prior owner is very important to me. I wrote up a little more XK shopping advice to another member here -> www.jaguarforums.com/m_22522/tm.htm, so maybe that will help you too.

As for the price, well, best suggestion there is to look on cars.comand autotrader.comto see what the market is like for that year and mileage. 40,000 isn't bad at all for a 2001. I got my 2003 with 41,500 on it. Just depends on condition and how well it was taken care of. good luck, and let us know what you end up doing.

Another link to look at... may help

http://consumerguideauto.howstuffwor...k-series-6.htm

Thanks for the insight--your first link did not work but I had stumbled upon the second link last night. So when you are talking about "later models" where you agreed with Jose, can you be more specific? Is there some certain year where things got better or worse? It still will be an uphill fight getting my wife to buy into this pipe-dream but at least I would need to be convinced that these are reasonably reliable and reasonable to maintain cars. I think there are a couple of indepent Jag and/or British auto repair shops within a couple of miles where I work--I should probably stop in and have a chat with the mechanics.

Doug

Old 08-29-2007, 12:41 PM
Veteran Member
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

I have to disagre with JOse sorta, the V8 engine on a 01 xk8 is great, and 26 k isnt that expensive for one of these. We paid 15 K for a 2000 xk8 convertibly, but it also had 74000 miles, so maybe if you could bring it down to liek 21-22 it would be good.

The reliablity isues come with things like wheel bushings and ebarings, and stuff you really wouldn't think about.

Old 08-29-2007, 12:45 PM
Veteran Member
Received 45 Likes on 15 Posts

For Starters...You can get and XKR with LESS miles for the SAME amount of money. Example You have to shop around though.
Now a bit more reliable than the XKR is the XK8, which could be had for less, but you need to SHOP AROUND.
2001 XK8 with 38K miles for $23K
In my honest opinion, I think that the XKR is an awesome buy and very fast for the price at 370 BHP! Plus, you get an absolutely awesome and beautiful car.

Old 08-29-2007, 01:07 PM
Veteran Member

ORIGINAL: bigdreams05

For Starters...You can get and XKR with LESS miles for the SAME amount of money. Example You have to shop around though.
Now a bit more reliable than the XKR is the XK8, which could be had for less, but you need to SHOP AROUND.
2001 XK8 with 38K miles for $23K
In my honest opinion, I think that the XKR is an awesome buy and very fast for the price at 370 BHP! Plus, you get an absolutely awesome and beautiful car.

Thanks for the info. Until yesterday, I had just figured that these cars were much more expensive than they apparently are. I agree that the XKR would be a more satisfying replacement to the Vette (in terms of power), but I just wanted to gain some level of confidence that the vintage Jag that I would be considering (2001 or later) would be reasonably reliable.

Old 08-29-2007, 08:08 PM
Veteran member

Try this... go to the car lot and look at the car in detail. Bring your wife along, tell her you would like her input on the interior comfort, legroom in the passenger seat, something like that. When you test drive it, and you should...top UP and top DOWN, ask her to drive it also...tell her you feel like the steering isn't smooth or some other BS line, and when she drives it, she'll fall in love with it too. Your wife support problem... solved! [sm=goodidea.gif]

One of the biggest suprises that I found with the convertible is how very very silent it rides with the top up. You would swear the car is a coupe! Jag put a ton of resources and materials into soundproofing their verts, and it shows. kudos to jag for that!! Top down, it is incredible too. The first time you are stopped at an intersection and look up and see nothing but clouds and blue skies...well, its indescribable. If your wife hasn't experienced that yet, she should. it'd be a deal clincher.

I've had to let my significant other drive my car when I borrow hers for long business trips, and she always tells me how much fun it is to drive it, and about the compliments she receives from strangers. If your wife is anything like my GF, then she too will long for some alone time with the xk8 herself, even though she will be hard pressed to admit it.

I just think if you get her to sit and drive it, your worries in that dept are over. [sm=happy046.gif]

Now, for your concerns on the possible maintenance/reliability, I personally think if you get a well maintained unit, you will spend the same amount on a Jag than you will on just about any other car. Ford's influence on the engineering and assembly of these beauties, if nothing else, has improved its reliability issue in regards to drivetrain immensely. The electrical bugs will always be there, it gives the Jag character.

Seems the 99 models had a problem with the 5-speed auto tranny. If the 2001 you're looking at is a 6-speed...your golden there.

As for price, if you could negotiate it down to 22-23 as 93xj6 mentioned, I think you would have a no-brainer there.

I hope I wasn't too optimistic for ya. keep us informed.

On a side note, don't wait too long to make a decision one way or another on test driving it. I found an XKR i really liked one night at a dealer, called them to schedule an appt the next day to test drive it, and when I showed up about 10am, it had already sold that morning. These don't last long if they are in as good of condition as you have described. patience not a virtue when it comes to jag hunting. good luck!!

Old 08-29-2007, 08:51 PM
Received 26 Likes on 11 Posts

Ok i can tell yea, I LOVE my XKR.. i ran it at the strip and ran 13.3 at 104 mph all night long. The only cars that chould beat me was a way suped up VW Rabit, "dum crazy fast" and a few Vets. i out ran some of the older vets. When i drive down the free way at 60 or 70 in cruze controll, it gets 21 to 22 mpg. most of the time with my hevy foot i get about 14 in the city. if you baby it youl get 17. Really the only things that can out gun me is the vets and up. I dont know about the Xk8's but after driving a Supercharged Alluminum DOHC 4.0 V8. Sorry dont think i can have any thing else. Its got liitle issues for sure, but in my case, i am single, own my house, and what the hell, i have my quarter life crisses car!

h20boy
What kinda millage do you get?

Old 08-30-2007, 12:34 AM
Veteran Member

H2OBoy--thanks for the input. Trying to get my wife to even look at one of these will be a major accomplishment as I basically "blew my wad" of male independence when I came home with the Vette 12 years ago against her wishes. She happens to be practical to a fault and, even though we have a nice sedan as our main car (2000 Acura TL), she would prefer that I get a new car to replace the Vette (of course anythng but another Vette). But I digress. If I am driving with her and happen to see and XK8 on the street I will try to point it out for her to see.

Doug

Old 08-30-2007, 01:37 PM
Veteran member

Mileage over here...apparently much better than your XKR, or you've underestimated the weight of your right foot. [sm=youreright.gif](yah, I know)

On average, the computer says I get 21-22mpg, both intown and highway mileage combined. I drive about 40 miles each day on the highway to/from work and tool around on the weekend, so it should average out. On the highway, I get much better results, it shows 27-30 mpg on average if I keep it at around 65mph. Any less...it goes down, any more...it goes down. I think that RPM is the sweet spot for gas mileage, at least for my ride.

Don't know if it matters much, but I always use full synthetic oil, I have a K&N filter in the air box, and I either fill 'er up with 92, or 93 octane fuel. Oh yah, and on average, I only use the WOT about 3-4 each tank. Otherwise I am pretty conservative on the pedal.

Old 09-05-2007, 03:34 PM
Veteran member

What's the status seismic. Is it still on the lot, and more importantly, have you gotten a chance to test drive it? What about the wife?

I mean... has she also had a chance to test drive it. Get your minds out of the gutter fellas.

Old 09-05-2007, 05:16 PM
Veteran Member

ORIGINAL: h20boy

What's the status seismic. Is it still on the lot, and more importantly, have you gotten a chance to test drive it? What about the wife?

I mean... has she also had a chance to test drive it. Get your minds out of the gutter fellas.
I've stepped up my research on these considerably in the last week. I visited 3 independent mechanics who work on Jags and other cars, and talked with another mechanic at a Jag dealer. I think I am homing in on 2002 or 2003 models (based on my price range), either XK8 or XKR (the XKR would certainly be the more apt replacement for the Vette). I have also been trying to stay at about 40,000 miles and I noticed that a few of the cars I have seen advertised still have warranty left on them.

I have discretely been leaving printouts from AutoTrader ads for Jags lying around to try and ease my wife into letting me continue to have my "toys". She is very practical and doesn't see the sense of getting a 5 year old car versus a new one but one thing that would help would be to find one in a price range such that I could buy outright and avoid payments (by selling the Vette and adding some money set aside for the car).

Just today I finally got to drive one of these I saw at a local dealer (2003 XKR convertible with about 41,000 miles) and it drove about like I expected (which is a good thing). A good mix of sport and luxury but not nearly as raunchy as my Vette. I expect she would also enjoy driving the Jag (she refuses to drive the Vette--too low, cannot see the front end, etc.) so the next move is to get her to at least look at a Jag.

By the way, what the heck do you do with those rear seats?!? I had a 1979 Toyota Supra for a while that had fairly tiny rear seats but it was possible for an adult to squeeze in. I tried sitting in the back of the XK8 but those rear seats are laughable. Of course when we go out with another couple, we always take the Acura sedan so the seating in the Jag is not really an issue for me. Are these there just for insurance purposes (4 seater versus 2 seater)? .

Doug

Old 09-05-2007, 08:07 PM
Veteran member

ORIGINAL: SeismicGuy

I've stepped up my research on these considerably in the last week. I visited 3 independent mechanics who work on Jags and other cars, and talked with another mechanic at a Jag dealer. I think I am homing in on 2002 or 2003 models (based on my price range), either XK8 or XKR (the XKR would certainly be the more apt replacement for the Vette). I have also been trying to stay at about 40,000 miles and I noticed that a few of the cars I have seen advertised still have warranty left on them.
Very wise indeed, you're on the right track there.

ORIGINAL: SeismicGuy
By the way, what the heck do you do with those rear seats?!? I had a 1979 Toyota Supra for a while that had fairly tiny rear seats but it was possible for an adult to squeeze in. I tried sitting in the back of the XK8 but those rear seats are laughable. Of course when we go out with another couple, we always take the Acura sedan so the seating in the Jag is not really an issue for me. Are these there just for insurance purposes (4 seater versus 2 seater)? .
You noticed those, huh? I've successfully fit a 4-yr old behind the passenger seat, and my 13-yr old neice (sideways), but never at the same time. [sm=badidea.gif]
It's good for placing the windshield shade, a planner, and a file or two. Otherwise, it's not much use. Hey, at least you don't have to ask your passenger to hold CD case or the casserole dish youre taking over to your family's house.

Keep us informed of your progress!

Old 09-06-2007, 09:06 AM
Received 7 Likes on 6 Posts

Watch E-Bay Motors auctions, both current and past auctions, for a sense of price range. I bought my '97 this spring but was intent on getting a carnaval red one. There were two for sale here in CT about a half mile apart from one another. Before I could go look at them, they were gone, so certain colors hold their desirability better than others. I got mine from a Dealership in NYC (bimmers-benz.com) because they had the red. I also got an unlimited lifetime drivetrain warranty with unlimited mileage through AutoSource, so if the tensioners ever explode, they fix it, not me.

The only niggling problem I've had is with periodic surging, which may be the throttle body. However, the problem is more evident when the engine is cold and the more I drive it the better it runs, so I'm not running out the door with wallet in hand to fix the problem just yet.

Hey, it's a used car with lots of gadgetry, so of course there will be problems. Used Merecedes, Bimmers, etc are no different.

Old 09-06-2007, 11:27 AM
Veteran Member

ORIGINAL: Jack Rabbit

Watch E-Bay Motors auctions, both current and past auctions, for a sense of price range. I bought my '97 this spring but was intent on getting a carnaval red one. There were two for sale here in CT about a half mile apart from one another. Before I could go look at them, they were gone, so certain colors hold their desirability better than others. I got mine from a Dealership in NYC (bimmers-benz.com) because they had the red. I also got an unlimited lifetime drivetrain warranty with unlimited mileage through AutoSource, so if the tensioners ever explode, they fix it, not me.

The only niggling problem I've had is with periodic surging, which may be the throttle body. However, the problem is more evident when the engine is cold and the more I drive it the better it runs, so I'm not running out the door with wallet in hand to fix the problem just yet.

Hey, it's a used car with lots of gadgetry, so of course there will be problems. Used Merecedes, Bimmers, etc are no different.
Thanks for the information. What is AutoSource--I googled and came across a site that sold cars but it looks like there are lots of sites with AutoSource in the name. I have been scanning Ebay Motors to see what prices are being asked for these vehicles, although I do not believe I would have the confidence to actually buy a vehicle over Ebay.

By far, the hugest hurdle is still my wife who, at this point is fairly adamant about NOT considering any used car. Frankly, I have no desire to rid myself of my perfectly good 95 Vette that I have owned for the past 12 years. The only reason I am is that I am tired of 12 years of my wife bitching about the car. I just not have been able to get excited about spending $40k-plus on what I consider to be "nice" new-car replacements for the Vette (BMW 335i or Infiniti G37). I get more of a thrill seeing these few-year-old XK8s and XKRs for much less $. But it has always been when the "mix" is my wife plus me plus cars, we are treading into Oprah territory and a battle-of-wills. To my mind, it should be "do whatever makes you happy within boundaries" but to her it is "do whatever makes absolutely perfect common sense as I define it"

Doug

Old 09-06-2007, 01:21 PM
Received 7 Likes on 6 Posts

The AutoSource warranty was provided by the Dealership for an additional $1500. I believe the unlimited mileage warranty I have is only available through approved Dealerships, according to the AutoSource web site. The best part about the warranty is it is transferable if I ever sell the car.

http://www.aswarranty.com/plans.shtml

As for your Wife, why would you think she'll approve of an XK if she thinks the vette is impractical? The back seats on an XK are for appearances only, unless you're missing both legs.

Quick Reply: Newbie needs advice for purchase