Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

No Thanks

Search this Thread

Old 09-09-2009, 06:50 PM
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default No Thanks

I was thinking of buying a 98 XK8 with 79xxx miles on it and looked like
it was in great shape. Did a Carfax on it with no known problems noted.

Owner said she didn't have the extra set of keys or valet key or extra
key FOB. I have bought cars without that before, no big deal right? Not
until I called the Jaguar dealership in Tampa.
Valet key=?
Key=$78
FOB=$283,02
Program both=$110
almost $500 for a key and key Fob is ridiculous!!! To say the least.
That and all the bad stories I have read on this forum about the problems
with this model I decided that a Jaguar's reliability is less then bad is
terrible.
I love the looks of them and when they run right, they are awesome,
but looks don't make them go!
I was gonna trade my 98 Mustang Cobra even for the XK8, but my
Cobra is in perfect condition inside and out. Its a Convertible with some
light Mods and only 80xxx miles.
I was offered a 2004 X-Type 3.0 for the Cobra and also 1967 Mustang
fastback in restored condition. I passed on those, wanted the XK8 bad
but my better sense won out.
I am disappointed, cause I wanted an XK8. Maybe in the future.
Thanks guys for all the great info you have on this Forum it helped
a lot.

Old 09-09-2009, 07:11 PM
Received 126 Likes on 110 Posts

I would not have bought a 98XK8 with 79,000 miles either.

Old 09-09-2009, 07:30 PM
Veteran Member
Received 364 Likes on 327 Posts

All that over a KEY FOB and a NEW Key. Dude you would have been in shock at the NORMAL stuff that has to be done to these cars, even the NEWER ONES.

Old 09-09-2009, 07:45 PM
Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

Buy a used fob on eBay for $50 and program it yourself?

Jag keys are expensive because they are coded to the car, go price a key for a Corolla.. $50 plus $50 to program it.

Old 09-09-2009, 08:04 PM
Veteran Member

Corolla, ha ha ha

Old 09-09-2009, 08:06 PM
Veteran Member

You go to ANY car forum, you will get the BAD stories. Most folks that seek out these forums don't do it to only post about the good. **** happens. Keep the Cobra, it's a ***** fast car, fun to drive but trust me you would get a **** load of looks sitting in one of these tooling down the road.

Old 09-09-2009, 09:41 PM
Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

Originally Posted by brgjag
Corolla, ha ha ha
LOL It's the truth! I'm the used car manager at a big TOyota dealership in NY.. these stupid security keys cost a fortune.

Old 09-10-2009, 04:25 AM
Received 9 Likes on 6 Posts

If you're driving a Rustang Cobra muscle car you do not want an English GT XK8, you want an English muscle car, the XKR.

You won't be happy with the lower horse power of the XK8 vs the Cobra.

Most people that post on forums do so because they have a problem and want to save money by trying to fix it themselves.

My 2000 XK8 has 48K miles and not a bit of trouble. I feed it good oil every 3000 miles and drive it like I own it, not like I stole it. All cars have problems. Some model years have more problems than others which are solved as time goes by. That's why older cars cost less than later model year cars.

You don't hear from people that are not having any problems, with any cars on any forums.

Old 09-10-2009, 10:23 AM
Veteran Member
Received 537 Likes on 400 Posts

Originally Posted by GreenJewel
If you're driving a Rustang Cobra muscle car you do not want an English GT XK8, you want an English muscle car, the XKR.

You won't be happy with the lower horse power of the XK8 vs the Cobra.

Most people that post on forums do so because they have a problem and want to save money by trying to fix it themselves.

My 2000 XK8 has 48K miles and not a bit of trouble. I feed it good oil every 3000 miles and drive it like I own it, not like I stole it. All cars have problems. Some model years have more problems than others which are solved as time goes by. That's why older cars cost less than later model year cars.

You don't hear from people that are not having any problems, with any cars on any forums.

Well said. Prior to purchasing a particular car, auto forums are great places to hear the worst of the worst but this needs to be taken with a grain of salt. Prior to purchasing my used 2005 XKR, I was considering a new BMW 335i. This was really against my better judgment based on the horrendous ownership experience I previously had with a 1986 325. So I lurked around a couple of BMW forums and read a plethora of nightmare stories about the turbos overheating and causing problems due to omission of a proper oil cooler. These were not just a few disgruntled owners but seemed to be pretty widespread. Needless to say, the time on the forums was well-spent.

I did similar research when considering the Jaguar. I discovered the couple of chronic problems with these cars (Nikasil in early models, timing chain tensioners, hydraulic problems with convertibles) but, in general, it seemed like overall quality and reliability were pretty good. Especially compared with similar high-end types of automobiles.

Doug

Old 09-10-2009, 10:42 AM
Veteran Member
Received 21 Likes on 20 Posts

And, the biggest difference. If the British and Germans were to build pinball machines. The British one would have lots of little quirks but all the bells and whistles. The German machine would have a hole, a plunger, and nothing else; but, it would work every time. Do you want it to work, or be fun?

Old 09-10-2009, 11:47 AM
Received 4 Likes on 3 Posts

He said "a hole, a plunger" eh, eh

Old 09-10-2009, 01:37 PM
Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

You don't say how much the 98 XK8 was selling for, if it was cheap the cost of the keys isn't an issue, I own a 97 XK8 with 100k on it and I love it, whenever I fill it with petrol(often) it draws admiring looks from everyone else on the forecourt.

You don't get that with a BMW or an Audi at 10x the price I paid for the XK8, luxury cars will be expensive to run.

I don't know what they sell for in the US but mine was around £50,000 when new, it's now 12 years old but has a dateless plate on it and so far nobody has even come close to guessing it's age, even though it cost me buttons it still looks like 30k worth of car.

Just buy one, yes it'll have problems but the smile it'll put on your face every day as you walk up to it is worth it

Old 09-10-2009, 02:08 PM
Default Thanks guys

Originally Posted by wack61
You don't say how much the 98 XK8 was selling for, if it was cheap the cost of the keys isn't an issue, I own a 97 XK8 with 100k on it and I love it, whenever I fill it with petrol(often) it draws admiring looks from everyone else on the forecourt.

You don't get that with a BMW or an Audi at 10x the price I paid for the XK8, luxury cars will be expensive to run.

I don't know what they sell for in the US but mine was around £50,000 when new, it's now 12 years old but has a dateless plate on it and so far nobody has even come close to guessing it's age, even though it cost me buttons it still looks like 30k worth of car.

Just buy one, yes it'll have problems but the smile it'll put on your face every day as you walk up to it is worth it

Well you guys are great. I went and drove a 99 XK8 and loved its drive.
I called the lady that has the 98 for sale and told her I would like to check
it out closer and drive it.
I think I over reacted and got alittle pissed at the cost of dealership
key and FOB. I can get a fob on ebay for about 45$ and that includes
instruction to program. The key is gonna cost me about $100 I am guessing
including the programing of it.

Her Carfax on the 98 didn't show anything out of the ordinary, so I think
according to her its runs perfect and looks great. She details it once a
month and has only drivin it 740 miles a month since she has had it. She has owned it 6 years and is the 3rd owner.

I am thinking I just might do the deed! I loved the way the 99 drove and of
course the looks on these things are out of this world. I guess I don't have to tell you guys that. LOL
Thanks a bunch guys on your comments, I really appreciate the advise..
Oh yeah, the deal is a even swap her car for my Cobra. KBB value is
about the same. The Cobra about $1000 more but what the heck!! Whos counting? LOL

Old 09-10-2009, 04:14 PM
Received 23 Likes on 17 Posts

Several things new potential new owners should consider:

1) Someone else has taken the hit (ususally) to the point where 30 cents on the dollar is not unheard of for newer model cars still under warranty. As with all cars, the parts cost totalled up is many times cost if you bought it new.

2) The cost of one of these cars in this market plus a dynamite warranty plan still puts you behind the wheel at a lot lower cost than the guy who buys it new.

3) On this forum, you are looking at a cross section of the entire world. You are also looking at a populus of fairly picky people as far as having the car right and for the most part, looking for a low cost way of getting a problem repaired or in how to keep the car in good shape.

4) You are looking at a populus who are often looking for a practical way to solve problems as there is a current trend of the manufacturer and supportive dealers that the bigger the assembly the problem can be associated with, the easier it is to explain why it should be replaced. OK if you are explaining to factory for warranty also OK if you have sufficient depth of wallet to buy one of these cars new.

5) There is a strong community relationship based on a mutual love of one of the most beautiful marques. The design of these cars are thought through well and kept faithful to heritage where you can drive a well kept model for a long time after it was new and still garner the looks of envy. No need to go out year after year buying a car for sake of fashion. You drive an instant classic.

6) Other than to pay back the help others have given them and have fun with friends, no one in their right mind would spend time on a bulletin board instead of behind the wheel unless they have problems or want to play with/modify the toy.

7) I would not be afraid of the make or model in general. I would not go in to a Nikasil engine without eyes very wide open and a well documented history. Any problems with overheating can contribute to early failure of cylinder lining. It sounds like this one may have been well cared for.

8) As much as Jag has had problems off and on, the time they were owned by Ford made a difference. The power plant from 2003 on has award winning dependability.

9) The thing the key programming does for you is make sure your investment is still there. If you buy one and buy more keys, all keys are reprogrammed together and if there is a leftover key someone has hung on to say in a division of community property, crappy business partner, etc., the "leftover key" is disabled. Buy a fob on e-bay, buy your spares all at once, have them programmed and have fun.

10) Valet key or regular keys from local dealer here ran about $72 each and $100 to program all, and all fobs, regardless of quantity.

Regards to All,
Steven (1avguy)

Old 09-10-2009, 05:54 PM
Veteran Member

The ONLY thing I must put in here and have not seen it posted here and I think 98 is prone also to the TIMING CHAIN TENSIONERS break down. I suspect that has not been updated on the car. Some folks go 150k no issue, others like me go out at 72k (on a 97). It's about a 2500-3600 repair depending if yoou replace others things while in ther, aka, water pump, hoses.....

Old 09-10-2009, 06:53 PM
Received 126 Likes on 110 Posts
Default A Jaguar is like a beautiful woman. When

you have a relationship, it is always high maintenance. It's called a tradeoff. Want a plain Jane, buy a Camry.

Old 09-10-2009, 07:32 PM
Default Good advise guys!

Great advise guys, I am trying to get ahold of the owner and see if we
can get this done tomorrow or Sat.
Thanks for the great advice...

Old 09-10-2009, 07:37 PM
Veteran Member
Received 200 Likes on 176 Posts

Most of the forums are about repairs and are a small percent of owners. Go to any forum on any vehicle you would think every make was poor quality. I also own a Lexus and the build quality of my XKR is superior to the Lexus. Parts and maintenance are about the same. Knock on wood but I haven't has any major problems except for the muscles in my face aching from grinning while driving it. Get it and enjoy.

Attached Images  
Old 09-10-2009, 08:10 PM
Veteran Member

You just don't see these cars much at all on the road. Not here in Cincy anyways. Throw in if youhave one that is a great color combo and folks will really start looking and saying NICE CAR.

Old 09-10-2009, 08:13 PM
Veteran Member

I would find a nice shop that works on European cars and see if they work on these and ask how many they have worked on, what stuff they have done. Find out how many years the mechanics have at the shope. My shop the lowed amount of years working there 15 up to 30 from there. I find these shops much easier to work with then dealers. May not be much cheaper but just gives me a better feeling. When I got my car I wanted the serv dude to look up some codes on reapirs. He moaned and groaned about how hard it would be to do. I was like you are joking. This dealership is deadsville (this was at the beginning of the money troubles here in the states) and you don't want to help me. Needless to say he did not get my Tensioner repair.

Last edited by brgjag; 09-10-2009 at 08:15 PM.