XK8 / XKR ( X100 ) 1996 - 2006
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Non-Start Issue / Fuel Delivery Problem

Search this Thread

Old 07-06-2018, 04:00 PM
Received 157 Likes on 105 Posts

And the mystery continues....

I soldered up suspect connections in the dash and took the car on a 10 mile jaunt from my workshop to home. Car ran pretty well until about a mile from home when it died. Fortunately, I was able to coast into a lighted parking lot.

Car re-started but wouldn't run with headlights on. Waited until dawn (started my trip at 3 am so as to avoid any traffic !) and made it home.

Also, engine wants to cut off when I apply the brakes. First thought it was a vacuum issue, but now think any additional electrical load causes failure.

Checked battery next morning. 12.59 v....charged it up to 12.95 v, but haven't re-started (indicating a strong battery and a charging system that is working!?)

Another problem which may or may not be related - pretty sure the micro-switches in the J-gate are shot. Red parking light only illuminates with jiggling. Transmission shifts fine, but getting it into gear also requires some jiggling. (I've been messing with adjusting the cable too.) Have observed missing micro-switch arms on earlier inspections.

Haven't been able to climb under car to check transmission electrical connections, but have noted that ground strap under car is properly connected.

Next step is to look at wiring under dash and at the J-gate.

Any bets on where I might find the offending wiring problems?

Could bad micro-switches make the car run poorly?

Might I check for a blown fuse or bad relay? Where?

Other ideas? Light bulb going off that directs me right to the problem?

This is my second trip with the car...Got a little farther this time, but by no means is the car "re-animated" yet.

Thanks all.

Old 07-08-2018, 12:28 PM
Received 157 Likes on 105 Posts

Problem solved.

I'm an idiot.

Gus is a genius.

So, to recap, the car shuts down when I turn on the headlights and barely runs when I press on the brake. Otherwise, it just runs terribly.

Gus says, check your grounds, but there are a lot of grounds in this car.

So, I have the dash apart and I'm checking this and that. I go into the trunk to get a tool, a tie-wrap or something and shake the negative terminal of the battery. That's tight. But the other end of the terminal, bolted to the side of the trunk isn't. Neither is the other ground point on the side of the trunk. (I have the trunk insulation removed.) So I tighten the grounds and...

What the heck ! The car runs. And runs well.

I go out for a drive around the block. Ok !

I go for a drive around the area...high traffic. hot weather. Car doesn't stall. Doesn't overheat. Runs nice (though the check engine light came on...what else is new?)

So thanks Gus and everyone who helped.

I'm not calling this car Re-Animated yet, as there are still things to flesh out. But it's a real car now, as opposed to a pretty statue.

The following 4 users liked this post by Truck Graphics:
Gus (07-10-2018), Jon89 (07-08-2018), michaelh (07-08-2018), RJ237 (07-08-2018)