XK8 / XKR ( X100 ) 1996 - 2006
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

OBDII full vs partial reader

Search this Thread

Old 12-14-2016, 10:05 AM
Received 119 Likes on 49 Posts
Default OBDII full vs partial reader

Sorry to write an thread about something that was talked in several previous posts. But at least is not clear for me the following:

Some people mentioned that with "some" OBDII reader you can only have partial information and some others (Jaguar ones) can read the entire codes and messages. Can someone tell me what's the one I can use to read all the codes from a XKR 2006?

Many thanks!

Last edited by SirJohn; 12-14-2016 at 10:08 AM.
Old 12-14-2016, 08:17 PM
Received 64 Likes on 32 Posts

Originally Posted by SirJohn
Sorry to write an thread about something that was talked in several previous posts. But at least is not clear for me the following:

Some people mentioned that with "some" OBDII reader you can only have partial information and some others (Jaguar ones) can read the entire codes and messages. Can someone tell me what's the one I can use to read all the codes from a XKR 2006?

Many thanks!
You have a Check Engine Light?
Yo, first try out the Torque app. Use a bluetooth OBD with the On/Off button. That worked for me, tho it still is fidgety. Or just start with a cheapy OBD2, to get you in the ballpark. The Jag only codes I saw were the ones that meant it had a reader connected and codes cleared, then clear that, and it code that a reader was connected (duh, that how you saw the code, in first place). Mostly sensors use the standard codes. Note, if your getting codes for "bank 1 and bank 2 too lean" don't run to get O2 sensors yet. You just have a vacuum leak, prolly.

Old 12-14-2016, 08:31 PM

Hi Julian, thanks for your answer. My question is more generic, I just got my Jag and I'm in the process of buying things like the valve adaptor for the 20' BBS rims, owners manual, and the OBDII reader. But I wouldn't like to buy someone that the wont read all the codes. What's the best reader for a 2006 XKR? Thanks again!

Old 12-14-2016, 09:42 PM
Received 64 Likes on 32 Posts

Cool gotcha! The ones I had eyes on after research were the Auto Enginuity one
Auto Enginuity Scan Tool, Jaguar Enhanced Interface Expansion (EI11)

and the one I'm getting is the ICarSoft LRii for Land Rover with Jag soft added Land Rover Scan Tool: ILR-II (iCarsoft)

Hope this narrows your search

Old 12-15-2016, 04:24 AM
Veteran Member
Received 1,110 Likes on 932 Posts

Extensive discussion of the OBDII tools can be found in the 'General Technical Help' forum. https://www.jaguarforums.com/forum/g...-%2A%2A-33347/

Most, if not all, will display the OBDII standard code sets but limited or none of the manufacturer specific codes. There is a big jump in price to get the full Jaguar codes for transmission, body, etc. that starts in the $500 range and goes $2500 or so.

The following users liked this post:
SirJohn (12-15-2016)
Old 12-15-2016, 09:52 PM

Originally Posted by Julian Black
Cool gotcha! The ones I had eyes on after research were the Auto Enginuity one
Auto Enginuity Scan Tool, Jaguar Enhanced Interface Expansion (EI11)

and the one I'm getting is the ICarSoft LRii for Land Rover with Jag soft added Land Rover Scan Tool: ILR-II (iCarsoft)

Hope this narrows your search
Yes it does, thanks so much!