Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Odd - after replacing outside door handle. RESOLVED

Search this Thread

Old 08-31-2017, 10:57 AM
Received 257 Likes on 94 Posts
Default Odd - after replacing outside door handle. RESOLVED

Hey Lads,

I have yet to go out and do the triage on this yet but just wanted to get an opinion to maybe expedite the process.

I had my outside drivers door handle break on one side and after securing a replacement for it, did the work last night.

I disconnected the battery in window up position and did the mechanical replacement of the handle. After reassembly, I now have two problems. The first is that the window switch on the drivers door - for the passenger window no longer works. The switch on the passenger door works and the switch for the drivers door works for the drivers window.

Secondly, I locks will not set.
I put it all back and closed all the doors and hit the lock button on my keyfob. The car chirps as it has always done but I do not have lock cycle either locking or unlocking. Before I tear into it again to see what could possibly be wrong, I wanted to be sure that I haven't missed a programming step in the process since I had disconnected electrics and the battery.

Thoughts?

BTW - I have not had any issues with either part prior to replacing the door handle.

Last edited by GGG; 09-02-2017 at 04:37 AM. Reason: Add "RESOLVED" to thread title
Old 08-31-2017, 04:57 PM
Received 685 Likes on 341 Posts

You had to dislodge connectors taking the door panel off, so the logical assumption is that you didn't get one fully clicked home.

Old 09-01-2017, 02:27 AM
GGG
Received 16,768 Likes on 12,155 Posts

+1

With a battery disconnect, you will have lost the driver and passenger door window auto drop settings but it does nothing to the security and locking system.

Graham

Old 09-01-2017, 07:26 AM
Received 82 Likes on 73 Posts

I had the same problem after changing the door handle seal.
Pull fuse and relay and reconnect, it works (but donīt know why).

Last edited by toaster; 09-01-2017 at 07:51 AM.
Old 09-01-2017, 12:54 PM

Originally Posted by toaster
I had the same problem after changing the door handle seal.
Pull fuse and relay and reconnect, it works (but donīt know why).
Weird!

Ok, I will give it a try as well as check on the other electrical connections in the area. I really didn't upset anything other than unplugging the usual suspects like the overall window switch, puddle light, etc. to remove the door panel

Thanks

Old 09-01-2017, 10:59 PM

It was a stupid mistake on my part.

When relatching the metal rod from the door-lock tumbler back into the plastic holder that connects to the motor assembly, I didn't consider the position of the tumbler.

So to do this right for anyone in the future, the door motor lever should be pushed all the way down and then with the key in the tumbler from the outside, rotate it clockwise and this will drop the rod down to the plastic receiver. That way the rod is placed properly for the movement of the tumbler whether to lock or unlock.

My alarm was having a hissy fit when I was trying to locate the issue. She's all good now lol.

The following 2 users liked this post by razorboy:
GGG (09-02-2017), Redline (09-02-2017)
Old 09-02-2017, 04:36 AM
GGG
Received 16,768 Likes on 12,155 Posts

Thanks for posting the resolution. Always appreciated when a member finishes the story.

I've added RESOLVED to your thread title.

Graham