XK8 / XKR ( X100 ) 1996 - 2006
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

overheating mystery

Search this Thread

Old 01-28-2017, 03:04 PM
Received 32 Likes on 20 Posts
Default overheating mystery

Im sure someone someplace has had this happen...ok I flushed out the coolant months ago, no issues.

All of a sudden the temp guage goes balistic the fan is louder than I have ever heard and I'm on a date !!! So I pull over the bottom radiator hose is not hot but the top one is, the heater works 100%...So i let it cool and head for home to change out the cars, on the way i turn the heater up to 90 and the temp guage goes down a bit.

this am consulting with my son i burp the hoses again, while ideling in my driveway no issues, heater works, all fine...taken for a short drive at various speeds the fan begins again and the car immediately over heats...i try and let some pressure out and of course it almost goes all over, lots of pressure...then the fan is on and the car is hot...i got home, let it sit, the radiator hose on the bottom is not hot and the upper one is hot.

no leaks i can detect, i did notice that when it cooled down and i burped the hoses the coolant level retreated from full by 1/2 inch, still overheating...

so we will borrow a pressure tester and maybe throw a thermostate and water pump at it...i am at a losse, no CHECK engine lights, temp guage goes up quickly and goes down quickly...at idle it's fine, drive it a few miles it is overheating time, again first the fan begins to howl and then the temp guage goes up....

somethings are working, some must not be, anyone have any experience with this?

Also I understand there are metal components i can get for the thermostat housing to replace the plastic, anyone know where i can get them and how much???? thermostat where and how much, and same for water pump???I am in sunny rainy bay area of california.

thanks....

oh...car has 41,000 miles coolant has been changed recently and no issues for months since then?????

Old 01-28-2017, 03:18 PM
Veteran Member
Received 664 Likes on 572 Posts

Irrespective of mileage, check/replace the water pump for the 3rd generation pump and change the thermostat.
Refill the coolant slowly and allow the engine to idle to burp the system.

You may also need to check the temperature sensor just in case, or plug in a code reader that gives you real time data.

Old 01-28-2017, 03:42 PM

ok, thanks for the advice,,,anyone know where i can order a kit of the metal housing, the proper hoses, thermostat, and water pump....seems pumps are easy to get as well as thermostats, all types of generic stuff??????

Old 01-28-2017, 07:40 PM
Veteran Member
Received 2,782 Likes on 2,226 Posts

You can get everything from the forum sponsors like sng barrett. I bought a excellent aluminum tst housing from Welsh Ent. Replace the plastic cross over pipe also. It comes with a new temp. sensor.

The following users liked this post:
hirev (01-30-2017)
Old 01-29-2017, 12:10 PM
Veteran Member
Received 1,808 Likes on 1,115 Posts

+1 on h2o pump. Fyi when it happened to me, raising rpms showed temp get cooler on factory gauge (this was b4 real guage). My mechanic was standing watching this and he zeroed in on the pump, apparently this was a common symptom of failure.

hirev (01-30-2017)
Old 01-29-2017, 12:45 PM
Received 5 Likes on 4 Posts

Mine did this, changed the thermostat and housing to the aluminium type but the issue was the water pump.
Once changed all was well again.
Good luck with your repairs
Wayne

hirev (01-30-2017)
Old 01-30-2017, 02:09 PM

Thanks so much for the experience feedback...it sounds like a water pump all right...so....
I am guessing if I can do it I am in for about 300 in parts or less, US dollars, if i have it done any ideas how much???? I also see lots of generic water pumps for lincoln out there that are supposed to fit, any experience with this approach???? My plan is to replace the pump, gasket if any, thermostat and if the plastic is ok and the hoses are ok, which they are, then leave well enough alone with that??? Your thoughts, also is there a video anywhere with this procedure so I can get a sense of whether or not i can do it?

Old 01-30-2017, 02:39 PM

Update, all found on Amazon, new water pump, metal thermostat housing, all gaskets, thermostat, serpentine belt....oh....$126.00 includes tax and shipping to my door, also parts fit thunderbird and maybe lincoln of that era....water pump install looks easy enough....

Did you attack it from the bottom or take of the hood or what? Can't find a how to video anyplace????

Old 01-30-2017, 02:49 PM
Veteran Member
Received 2,981 Likes on 2,123 Posts

All from the top. You can pop off the hood lift struts and raise the hood vertical and hold it in place with temporary bolts in the hood hinge holes for easier access.

See:
JagRepair.com - Jaguar Repair Information Resource
and
JagRepair.com - Jaguar Repair Information Resource

hirev (01-30-2017)
Old 01-30-2017, 05:09 PM

that's excellent link, thank you all soooo much!!!!