XK8 / XKR ( X100 ) 1996 - 2006
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

P1517 / safety switch car stall/won't turn over/ can't remove from park

Old 10-19-2017, 07:17 PM
Received 198 Likes on 106 Posts
Default P1517 / safety switch car stall/won't turn over/ can't remove from park

Hello all, got my maf sensor problem solved now have new problem.

car drives great and out of nowhere the car will burp and sometimes stall but not always, then i get failsafe engine light on dash.

if no stall then just a burp and failsafe mode.

when i say burp i get a severe hesitation like no gas for a 1/2 second.
then car hesitates and then drives fine but with failsafe engine mode light on, but car now runs fine, i can put gear shifter into neutral and back to drive and the failsafe warning goes away.

Now get this: No new codes come up, even using good high end computer reader that connect to all modules. no new codes

The only stored code is a P1517, which is safety neutral switch. Mechanic says mine is bad and want to change out for new one, the one that connects to the transmission part # LJA 6201 AD about 700 to 900.00. Double ouch!

the safety switch is the one that causes other problems IE. getting the shifter out of park and then engine won't turn over. wait couple minutes and will start right up. bad switch. switch is for making sure car does not crank engine when engine is in gear.

i have those problems every once in awhile but not often can't get shifter out of park engine won't turn over.. the main problem is the burp / stall and failsafe engine mode while driving.

could this described problem have anything to do with neutral safety switch code P1517 ??

Question: would a faulty neutral safety switch make car turn off / stall while already driving and make car go into fail safe mode? I know it makes the car shifter not come out of park and the engine will not turn over

if anyone has ideas please feel free to advise.
battery new not the problem!
Neutral safety switch expensive 800.00. Would like to make sure reasonable expectation for good repair.
Thanks in advance

Old 10-19-2017, 08:11 PM
Gus
Veteran Member
Received 2,207 Likes on 1,700 Posts

Try adjusting your shifter cable first.

Link http://www.jagrepair.com/images/TSB/307-01-1.pdf