XK8 / XKR ( X100 ) 1996 - 2006
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Park Lock-Out Switch Problem

Search this Thread

Old 10-19-2017, 03:34 PM
Received 2 Likes on 1 Post
Default Park Lock-Out Switch Problem

Our 1997 Jag XK8 convertible is developing a problem when shutting down the vehicle wherein an alarm will sound indicating that the xmission is not in Park. I need to locate this malfunctioning switch and adjust or replace it. So I need to know exactly where to find this switch, and probably the correct part number for it if I need to replace it. Thanks, Geoff

Old 10-19-2017, 09:36 PM
Veteran Member
Received 1,317 Likes on 1,004 Posts

The switch is mounted in the shifter housing. It is accessible by removing the covers in the shifter. The problem is probably not the switch but likely the cable is out of adjustment. Try adjusting the cable first before going for a high dollar switch.

Old 10-20-2017, 02:56 AM
GGG
Received 16,800 Likes on 12,169 Posts

Look for threads on "Rotary Switch".

Park Lock-Out Switch Problem-rotary-switch.jpg

The original P/N LJA6201AC has been superseded by LJA6201AD. If you need to replace it, forum Sponsor S N G Barratt list it:

Park Lock-Out Switch Problem-sng.jpg

At that cost, their 10% discount to forum members could be very welcome!

Graham

Old 10-20-2017, 01:35 PM
Default Park Switch Location

Originally Posted by avern1
The switch is mounted in the shifter housing. It is accessible by removing the covers in the shifter. The problem is probably not the switch but likely the cable is out of adjustment. Try adjusting the cable first before going for a high dollar switch.
I am a little confused: avern1 says the switch is in the shifter housing and Graham says that the rotary switch on the tranny is the location.?? Help.!

Old 10-20-2017, 01:35 PM

Originally Posted by GGG
Look for threads on "Rotary Switch".

Attachment 204507

The original P/N LJA6201AC has been superseded by LJA6201AD. If you need to replace it, forum Sponsor S N G Barratt list it:

Attachment 204508

At that cost, their 10% discount to forum members could be very welcome!

Graham
I am a little confused: avern1 says the switch is in the shifter housing and Graham says that the rotary switch on the tranny is the location.?? Help.!

Old 10-20-2017, 03:11 PM
Received 157 Likes on 105 Posts

If the lights on the J-gate are lit and the transmission shifts just fine, it is extremely unlikely to be a problem with the rotary switch.

If it is a switch issue, it could be one of the micro-switches under the shifter housing.

But I would go with avern1's advice and adjust the shifter cable first. The easiest way is to approach this from the top (inside the car), adjusting the large stop nuts. If that fails, you can work on the cable underneath the car, but it's a bit difficult to reach. Technical Service Bulletin 307-01 from July 1997 details the fix.

Old 10-20-2017, 05:48 PM

Originally Posted by Truck Graphics
If the lights on the J-gate are lit and the transmission shifts just fine, it is extremely unlikely to be a problem with the rotary switch.

If it is a switch issue, it could be one of the micro-switches under the shifter housing.

But I would go with avern1's advice and adjust the shifter cable first. The easiest way is to approach this from the top (inside the car), adjusting the large stop nuts. If that fails, you can work on the cable underneath the car, but it's a bit difficult to reach. Technical Service Bulletin 307-01 from July 1997 details the fix.
Thanks, I will first try to adjust from inside the shifter console.