XK8 / XKR ( X100 ) 1996 - 2006
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Passenger door open warning light.

Search this Thread

Old 07-24-2017, 06:31 PM
Received 3 Likes on 2 Posts
Default Passenger door open warning light.

After finally fixing my code 22 airbag light on my 03 XKR, I just noticed that I now have a passenger door open warning. I sprayed the door latch with contact cleaner and tried to find the sensor or switch that triggers the light, but cannot figure it out. The door light is off and does not light when the door is opened or closed. Has anyone had this problem and can someone shed some light (or not) on this problem??? pun intended....Should I slam the door harder???

Old 07-25-2017, 02:20 AM
Veteran Member
Received 1,808 Likes on 1,115 Posts

Wanted to warn you about the door seals. Sounds like the door switch is bad, since no lights go on when you open door, car thinks door is shut. Does the window drop when you start to open this door?

If no, don't forget to manually open the window a bit to clear the door seals when opening or closing.

If they do drop then that's one thing you don't need to worry about.

I recall that different years have different door status triggers (window drop, dash red light "passenger door open", puddle lights, interior lights) driven by different switches.

My 1998s door switch manages all of them. While helping someone troubleshoot an issue similar to yours, I learned that can't assume the puddle lights are managed by the door switch in the door lock. Additionally I'd be really surprised to hear that your windows are not dropping.

I think this is true for all years:

Door closed, pull on door handle, window drops to clear seal.

Now door is open, touching handle does nothing to window.

Close door, window rises to seal.

So, if door switch in the lock is bad, window will not rise regardless of model year.

Frank, do lights light (puddle or interior) for the other door? For alarm buttons?

I wonder if they "timed out". Lights turn off if left on for 15 minutes or something. The car thinks you left the door open for the last x# of hours.

Frankslawn, hope you get something useful out of this. I'm on a phone, hard to edit so you're getting a thought stream version. Hope you understand.

John

Old 07-25-2017, 02:43 AM
GGG
Received 16,792 Likes on 12,165 Posts

Originally Posted by frankslawn
....Should I slam the door harder???
That could ease your frustration but is unlikely to resolve the issue.

John's 'thought stream' covers the functional checks.

Three possible sources of the fault:

1. Door Latch microswitch (commonest cause reported on the forum)
2. Passenger Door Module (not a frequent fail)
3. Door Harness (again not frequent but reported to break with continued flexing over the years)

Graham

Old 10-18-2018, 05:09 PM
Received 3 Likes on 2 Posts

I took out the door latch mechanism today and tested it....seems that the switch inside with the black and the green wires is not working. I heard that it is possible to replace just the switch, but as I look at the unit, I cannot see how to get that switch out. It is rivited between both parts of the latch and I can see no way of getting it out. Any suggestionhs???