Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

PLX Kiwi WiFi

Search this Thread

Old 12-20-2010, 10:35 AM
Veteran Member
Received 1,063 Likes on 759 Posts
Default PLX Kiwi WiFi

I have just received the Kiwi device (actually the Kiwi+iMFD) and am very enthusiastic. No installation, just plugin and go.

The main reasons I went for this one was the iPhone connection (which was already a hard compromise to have in my car, as I like the dash clean), and the extra gauges you can install.

I have the boost pressure meter and the EGT sensor, which I will install in the coming weeks. The EGT will be installed on the spot where the EGR is located, this as I have disabled mine.

But best is the ease of use, all important information right on your phone display, and the ability to record and send the data also via the iPhone to you mail address (with the Rev software on the phone, there are several apps to use).

So far I can recommend it, more later.

Old 12-20-2010, 02:03 PM
Veteran Member
Received 2,982 Likes on 2,123 Posts

Originally Posted by avos
The EGT will be installed on the spot where the EGR is located, this as I have disabled mine.
I do not thnk that could work for me...it would probably run afoul of the emissions inspection authorities here.

Old 12-20-2010, 03:57 PM
Veteran Member
Received 2,982 Likes on 2,123 Posts

Originally Posted by avos
I have just received the Kiwi device (actually the Kiwi+iMFD) and am very enthusiastic. No installation, just plugin and go.

The main reasons I went for this one was the iPhone connection (which was already a hard compromise to have in my car, as I like the dash clean), and the extra gauges you can install.

I have the boost pressure meter and the EGT sensor, which I will install in the coming weeks. The EGT will be installed on the spot where the EGR is located, this as I have disabled mine.

But best is the ease of use, all important information right on your phone display, and the ability to record and send the data also via the iPhone to you mail address (with the Rev software on the phone, there are several apps to use).

So far I can recommend it, more later.

Ths will be an interesting comparison with the HKS Camp 2, which I wil be installing soon. Both systems are OBDII based and accept external sensors. You outlined some important advantages of the Kiwi+iMFD, especially for someone who is an iPhone user. Other advantages include availablility of an AIr/Fuel meter, and ability to use evolving 3rd party software.

The HKS Camp 2 is different in that is a dedicated and installed system, and integrates with the navigation video screen (with an adapter). For me it made sense because my car is not a daily driver (when I drive it, I want my phone turned off) , and I also wanted to ujpgrade my navigation and integrate satellite radio using the Garmin GVN-53. I can keep the dash clear, and have the meters, plus up to date nav. I am a big fan of satellite radio here in the US, so that was a part of my decison to go with an integrated solution.

Last edited by WhiteXKR; 12-20-2010 at 04:04 PM.
Old 12-21-2010, 12:28 AM
Veteran Member
Received 1,063 Likes on 759 Posts

EGR
Pending the year/market, you can just blank off the EGR, check if you have a MAP sensor first, then follow the instructions below:

Markets without MAP sensor (upto MY2001):
Just blank of the pipe; I blanked it of between the TB and EGR, took out the pipe and blank of the exhaust. Leave cabling of course connected. This way the EGR will still operate, so no errors there.

All cars from MY2001 and up (and pre MY2001 with MAP sensor):
All you need to do is to cut off the pipe (between exhaust and EGR), blank of the exhaust, and make a connection with the pipe coming form the EGR and your intake between the MAF and TB (example to your engine breather pipe). Then make in that connection an orifice of 4 to 5 mm. This way the EGR stays fully functional, and the ECU is still able to monitor the working of the EGR via the MAP sensor. I have tested this on a 4.2 STR and it is working fine.

Not sure how emissions are tested, but when your car is in neutral, the EGR is not functional and thus it will not have an effect on the emission test.

PLX
The iPhone is more to me than just a phone underway, am usually stuck in traffic and use it to internet and also for online traffic information so I can plan the best routes to avoid having to internet ;-).

Future plan would be to setup a car pc, and also use the navigation screen, but that is still on the backburner. For now the plx & iphone combo will work for me.

The following users liked this post:
User 070620 (06-10-2013)