XK8 / XKR ( X100 ) 1996 - 2006
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Possible VVT Problem

Search this Thread

Old 01-03-2016, 04:51 PM
Received 161 Likes on 133 Posts
Default Possible VVT Problem

This is a problem that I've not found in the archived VVT threads. The car starts up and runs well when stopped; no noise of any kind. Performance off the line is okay, but the car seems to accelerate much better at higher RPM's, which is a normal characteristic of the engine.
The problem is a very noticeable tapping sound while accelerating at engine speeds below about 1,500 RPM. After that, the noise fades away. This morning, I decided to go out for a drive. No noise! On top of that, the car seemed raring to go every time I just touched the gas at a traffic light; a noticeable difference. After running some errands, the tap returned along with the mediocre low-end acceleration.
I'm thinking that this has something to do with the VVT system, but I'm not sure how to go about troubleshooting it. I'm going to check the wiring to the solenoids, after that, I could really use some suggestions.

Old 01-03-2016, 07:32 PM
Veteran Member
Received 1,110 Likes on 932 Posts

Any VVT problems other than the electrical connections are oil pressure related. Electrical issues usually set a code. The standard answer for a quick, easy, cheap test of oil pressure issue is to add a can of RESTORE, an oil thickener. If that reduces or eliminates the ticking then try a high weight oil on the next change.

Another reported issue is pieces of plastic tensioners and or chain slippers that have clogged the oil pick up screen. RESTORE nor a heavier oil will affect that problem.

The following users liked this post:
max224 (01-03-2016)
Old 01-03-2016, 08:15 PM

Agreed, and no codes have been set. The fact that it seems to be intermittent is pointing me toward the electrical connections to the VVT solenoids. I had the primary and secondary chain tensioners replaced soon after I bought the car, and the crankcase cleaned at that time. I also have a can of RESTORE warming on my downstairs radiator to make it pour more easily. I plan to add add it tomorrow.

Old 01-03-2016, 10:25 PM
Gus
Veteran Member
Received 2,207 Likes on 1,700 Posts

I recently had an issue with my VVT on the left side and used a stethoscope to pinpoint the problem but not sure you need a stethoscope. I changed the oil (10W-30) and filter and all was good.

On the onset of the problem it sounded like my chain tensioner was failing so I removed my valve cover and inspected the tensioner and it all looked good so I put the cover back on and took an oil pressure reading to see if my oil pump was working and it checked out ok so I elected to change the oil and filter and the problem was eliminated.

What I found when checking the VVT (the plug is forward of the valve cover) at idle it sounded normal no clicking but when I would increase the idle a little (1200 to 1500rpm) it would start clicking/chattering . You can check this with your hand on the plug of the VVT a stethoscope is not necessary. I did notice when I revved/ raised the RPS’s and let it go back to idle all was good that both VVT’s they would click/chatter about 5 times when returning to idle.

I should note I did not have any codes. I hope this helps!

The following users liked this post:
max224 (01-04-2016)
Old 01-04-2016, 10:30 AM

Thanks for the information, Gus. One of the problems I'm having in diagnosing this is that, when the car is parked, there is no discernible noise in any RPM range. The noise only shows up for a few seconds when accelerating from stop. After about 1,500 RPM, it fades away. This makes it impossible to diagnose with a stethoscope (I can't run that fast alongside the car unfortunately).

The can of RESTORE is going in today. I'll drive it for a few days and see if that helps.