XK8 / XKR ( X100 ) 1996 - 2006
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Problems heading South

Search this Thread

Old 10-08-2015, 07:23 AM
Received 128 Likes on 91 Posts
Default Problems heading South

Hi All, in reference to my post below listed as Intake Gaskets.

I've gone from poor to bad to worse;

Started with reduced performance with codes pointing at # 4 cyl, ( replaced plugs, # 4 coil, fuel filter, fuel additive, 40 lbs fuel pres, injector ping normal) Going on for a few weeks.

first time started misfire, restricted performance day before yesterday.

Yesterday took xk8 out of garage to see if cleared above, drove up the block misfire seemed like running on 3 cylinders, engine quit.

Cranks, no kick, little carb clean in intake, no kick, 40 lbs fuel pressure.

FOUND fuse for ign coil blown, replaced 3 xs same result.

I,m thinking to check wires where I can. then what. I also suspect the replaced coil... Are the coils direct from the computer or is something in between I should look at. Any ideas?

thank you Rich

Old 10-08-2015, 08:22 AM
Received 264 Likes on 192 Posts

The coils are driven by 2 ignition modules that are mounted in the center of the firewall under the cowling lip. Those are driven by the ECU. You could try unplugging them one at a time and see if the fuse still blows. If its not them then try unplugging the coils one at a time.

Dave

The following users liked this post:
reb1999 (10-09-2015)
Old 10-08-2015, 08:36 AM
Veteran Member
Received 2,981 Likes on 2,123 Posts

The ignition modules were eliminated starting with the 1999 model year and the ignition drive is directly from the ECU.

I would look for worn insulation on the ignition wires and if nothing is found then send the ECU off to ASI to be evaluated and repaired if necessary.

The following users liked this post:
reb1999 (10-09-2015)
Old 10-10-2015, 07:34 AM
Received 128 Likes on 91 Posts
Default Curve ball

Hi All, my sudden misfire, limp home mode to no start engine problem on my 99 XK8 turned out to be a shorted brand new coil I purchased from a reputable Jaguar Parts Supply.
Found the blow fuse under hood. Since this was the first time for a blown fuse, I suspected the new coil. Disconnected the right bank coil wires. Turned on ign key. fuse held ( prior went through 4 fuses.) re- hooked up all other coils except suspected, fuse held. Replaced coil, engine starts...

I am hopeful ( won't count on it) the above is part of the P0304/05 code with reduced performance I have been hunting after for a month.
If the car runs, with occasional lights popping up ( running fine) I will be ok.
As usual Gents, thank you so much for all your help and advice. Rich

Originally Posted by reb1999
Hi All, in reference to my post below listed as Intake Gaskets.

I've gone from poor to bad to worse;

Started with reduced performance with codes pointing at # 4 cyl, ( replaced plugs, # 4 coil, fuel filter, fuel additive, 40 lbs fuel pres, injector ping normal) Going on for a few weeks.

first time started misfire, restricted performance day before yesterday.

Yesterday took xk8 out of garage to see if cleared above, drove up the block misfire seemed like running on 3 cylinders, engine quit.

Cranks, no kick, little carb clean in intake, no kick, 40 lbs fuel pressure.

FOUND fuse for ign coil blown, replaced 3 xs same result.

I,m thinking to check wires where I can. then what. I also suspect the replaced coil... Are the coils direct from the computer or is something in between I should look at. Any ideas?

thank you Rich