XK8 / XKR ( X100 ) 1996 - 2006
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Progress on Starts and shuts down in 2 seconds.

Search this Thread

Old 10-02-2023, 08:22 AM
Received 219 Likes on 112 Posts
Default Progress on Starts and shuts down in 2 seconds.

There was a very long thread entitles Starts and Shuts down in 2 seconds and as there has been some progress I would like to start fresh and see where it goes.
A lot of diagnosis and suggestions pointed towards the keys and the KTM as a possible issue, so about 6 weeks ago I found a fellow came to the house with his diagnostic equipment.
He ran his diagnostics and determined that the keys and KTM (Key Transponder Module), were functioning correctly. His diagnostics also showed several Error codes that had not shown before, all of them relating to the ECM.
Upon checking the codes, I came across a Service Bulletin 11/04 1-186 Using WDS to program/configure Control Modules.
When this problem began, they replaced the ECM and then asked me for the old one back so they could download the software from it and put it into the new ECM. At the time I had no evidence, so I just had to go with them.
Since I found this new service bulletin, I took it to the service manager and asked him if this was the instructions from Jag why did they need the failed ECM. I also told him I did not want to deak with the service advisor because he did not listen or take down any information and pass it along.
The Service Manager told me to get it back into the shop and they would try again. He would not take the service bulletin printout I had as he looked up my VIN and said it did not list it for my car, even though on the bulletin it says for all after 2002.
Anyway, after downloading the cars original software from Jag they managed to get it runnning without shutting down. Idling rough and no throttle response. They asked me if I would authorize a new throttle body and installation and I did, however that has not corrected things.
They said on Friday they were contacting the technical services again and that they had put 14 hours labor into it that they were not charging me for. They can't tell me what they did in that 14 hours other than scratch their heads.
I am sure they are going to call me today and ask for authorization for more hours, but I am going to ask them what they are going to do that they haven't already tried.
This was a perfectly running car that I have babied for the last 9 years before the ECM failed.
I am into this now for $10,000 so am afraid I may have to pull the plug.
I just have one question that keeps bugging me, when they reprogrammed the ECM with the software downloaded from the defective ECM could it have fouled up one of the other modules in the car?

The following 2 users liked this post by daro31:
Pistnbroke (10-09-2023), Y2KJag (10-02-2023)
Old 10-05-2023, 02:41 PM
Veteran Member
Received 2,292 Likes on 1,504 Posts

Originally Posted by daro31
The Service Manager told me to get it back into the shop and they would try again. He would not take the service bulletin printout I had as he looked up my VIN and said it did not list it for my car, even though on the bulletin it says for all after 2002.

...is pretty unambiguous. I wonder what else was ignored?

Originally Posted by daro31
Anyway, after downloading the cars original software from Jag they managed to get it runnning without shutting down. Idling rough and no throttle response. They asked me if I would authorize a new throttle body and installation and I did, however that has not corrected things.
They said on Friday they were contacting the technical services again and that they had put 14 hours labor into it that they were not charging me for. They can't tell me what they did in that 14 hours other than scratch their heads.
I am sure they are going to call me today and ask for authorization for more hours, but I am going to ask them what they are going to do that they haven't already tried.?
Mmm. Sounds like they're in 'Lets fire the parts cannon' mode.

I would ask for my original throttle body to be refitted and reimbursement for the one fitted in error.

Seems entirely possible that they have screwed up the process in 1-186.

The following 2 users liked this post by michaelh:
Pistnbroke (10-09-2023), Timeisrelative (10-06-2023)