Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Question on new shock mounts?

Search this Thread

Old 05-13-2017, 02:30 PM
Received 257 Likes on 94 Posts
Default Question on new shock mounts?

Hey Lads,

So I did a bunch of front end work on my XK8 including new upper shock mounts. I went with the updated version available on ebay with the poly centers over the foam centers of the original.

So here is an interesting question which may have me pulling the shocks off again

I noticed on the driver side which was the first one I did, that the top 17mm nut kept tightening and tightening. Didn't seem to hit a complete stop. At the time, I didn't know any better so I got to a point and just left it. It has about 4-5 threads showing on the other side of the nut.

When I did the same to the passenger side, there is only 1-2 threads showing above the nut and it stopped dead from turning? Ok, I am a little concerned here as to what happened on the one side or the other.

Does the shock shaft pass straight through the metal base of the shock mount or does it stop up on the shoulder of the shock? I am fearful that the shock shaft has wedged into the shock mount but won't know clearly what is going on until I take it about again. I used a torque wrench on the drivers side and used feel on the passenger side.

Old 05-13-2017, 03:14 PM
Received 2,183 Likes on 1,355 Posts

Its just turns the shock shaft when tight. There should be a allen in the center of the shaft or a oblong fitting unless theyre electric. This allows you to hold the shaft and tighten the nut. Did you put the small spacer on the shock stem before the mount? And i went back to using the oem foam mounts as i experienced too many early failure with the poly ones.

Old 05-13-2017, 03:35 PM

Originally Posted by Brutal
Its just turns the shock shaft when tight. There should be a allen in the center of the shaft or a oblong fitting unless theyre electric. This allows you to hold the shaft and tighten the nut. Did you put the small spacer on the shock stem before the mount? And i went back to using the oem foam mounts as i experienced too many early failure with the poly ones.
There were no spacers on the shocks when I removed the shock mount.
Or maybe something fell off that I didn't notice on one of them? I'm sure I would have seen something laying on the floor as I removed the old mount on a carpet in a pretty small work space. I looked around a bit online and don't see any reference to any spacers?

Old 05-13-2017, 07:23 PM

So I know the question I need answered?

Is the top of the shock shaft supposed to slide through the metal bush on the upper shock mount? I assume it is because from the pictures I have seen of other shocks mounted, there is at least 3-5 threads showing above the nut.

So if the shaft is not passing through the bush and gets stuck somehow, you end up with my situation where the nut tightens down with only a couple of threads showing above the nut. Has anyone got info on this?

B

Old 05-14-2017, 09:52 AM

Ok,

I went after the side that was not seated as deep and gave it a bit more pull. The nut began to spin again and I was able to seat it to the same as the other side before it came to a noticeable dead stop. Hoping that it is seated against the lip of the top of the shock now. I guess there was / is a fair amount of resistance when pulling the shaft up through the metal bush in the new shock mounts? Looks right but I hope it has landed against something or else I am going to have a shock poking through my bonnet if it hasn't indeed landed against something?

Old 05-15-2017, 01:18 PM
Received 49 Likes on 19 Posts

Watch out for the poly bushings. Mine lasted only a few months before complete meltdown. Ruined two new tires because I didn't think to check the mounts so soon after installing them.

Old 05-15-2017, 02:19 PM
Veteran Member
Received 4,275 Likes on 2,812 Posts

Your chosen source for the poly shock mounts is critical. Welsh Enterprises' poly shock mounts are top quality. Go with the Welsh shock mounts and you will be fine....