XK8 / XKR ( X100 ) 1996 - 2006
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Question: what's the consensus on the Arden ground effects modification.

Search this Thread

Old 08-11-2013, 09:32 AM
Veteran Member
Received 513 Likes on 333 Posts
Default Question: what's the consensus on the Arden ground effects modification.

I'm trying to get opinions on what is considered a respectable, approved body modification for our cars. I know this is a very charged topic and every one has an opinion as to what's tasteful and what's not!
It always seems more than not, most members really have issues with modifying these cars with the exception of possibly a mesh grille or removing the side rub strips.
Where does the ARDEN ground effects kit fall in this category? I, for one, have always respected just about any Arden Jaguar concept and I think even Jaguar has too.. I still say the later model XK8/R front and side facelift was inspired by the Arden treatment.
My opinion is it's a great addition and looks right on these cars if someone's wanting a more aggressive stance. That being said, it's a dated kit. (And I used one!) But the car is dated on its own. Beautiful but dated. And changing wheel badges, growlers, side leapers etc, to the newest style doesn't really update them either. These minor changes are personal taste and fun!
If I had had the resources, I'd have gone with the Paragon kit. (Stunning!) But then the car is really no longer an X100 so why not buy a newer model.
I seem to be getting conflicting opinions on this specific Arden kit and I always thought Arden was the be all end all of Jaguar modifications.
Question: what's the consensus on the Arden ground effects modification.-image.jpg
The Arden ground effects kit on my 2002 XK8

Old 08-11-2013, 09:56 AM
Veteran Member
Received 369 Likes on 228 Posts

Overall, I think it's a good look, although I'm not a fan of the lady lumps on the bonnet.

I do think that blending certain body panels and trim pieces- as opposed to simply clipping them on- can make a real difference. It allows the addition of new looks and lines, without sacrificing the sleek, slippery nature that has always made the X100 so beautiful.

Old 08-11-2013, 11:00 AM
Received 77 Likes on 57 Posts

+1. I like it, and you car in general, minus the warts on the hood. ; ) Jac

Old 08-11-2013, 03:42 PM
Veteran Member

Originally Posted by Jacsun
+1. I like it, and you car in general, minus the warts on the hood. ; ) Jac
Agreed on the lady lumps!! And they're going as well as the side rub strips when I take it in for a compound and a buff. Just too lazy to take off.

Also blending the front and sides once I take in next year for a total repaint. Although I've been warned that the front blend will almost guaranteed crack when it scrapes. And it scrapes!!!

I'm wondering how people feel about e arden kit vs the paragon kits. Paragon literally changes it from an X100 to a sorta X150. I personally like both but you end up with totally different cars.

Old 08-11-2013, 03:50 PM
Veteran Member

Had several private messages asking of these really are arden speed hump vents. Here's the arden actual photo from their site. And they cost over 800 euro!!
Question: what's the consensus on the Arden ground effects modification.-image.jpg

Old 08-11-2013, 03:51 PM
Veteran Member

Originally Posted by philhef
Had several private messages asking of these really are arden speed hump vents. Here's the arden actual photo from their site. And they cost over 800 euro!!
Attachment 50680
Doesn't mean I like them any better!!

Old 08-11-2013, 03:58 PM
Veteran Member
Received 256 Likes on 196 Posts

Is your kit from Arden or Mina Gallery? Here is a cross between Arden & Paragon with a few custom touches.

Attached Thumbnails Question: what's the consensus on the Arden ground effects modification.-097.jpg   Question: what's the consensus on the Arden ground effects modification.-023.jpg   Question: what's the consensus on the Arden ground effects modification.-020.jpg   Question: what's the consensus on the Arden ground effects modification.-013-1.jpg  

Last edited by JgaXkr; 08-11-2013 at 04:02 PM.
Old 08-11-2013, 03:59 PM
Veteran Member

Is your kit from Arden or Mina Gallery? Here is a cross between Arden & Paragon with a few custom touch

Attached Thumbnails Question: what's the consensus on the Arden ground effects modification.-012-1.jpg   Question: what's the consensus on the Arden ground effects modification.-011-1.jpg   Question: what's the consensus on the Arden ground effects modification.-009.jpg  

Last edited by JgaXkr; 08-11-2013 at 04:04 PM.
The following users liked this post:
Jeff in Tucson (08-13-2013)
Old 08-11-2013, 04:24 PM
Veteran Member
Received 567 Likes on 514 Posts

A body kit (or parts thereof) should be like clothes on a beautiful woman. They should enhance what is naturally there without being a distraction. The same goes for accessories. Too much bling (jewelry) takes away from her good looks and cheapens her.
I think you have reached a point where further attempts at updating the look of your car will only make a caricature out of it. It looks fantastic as you have it and makes a bold styling statement. Finish off the interior mods and enjoy your masterpiece!

Old 08-11-2013, 04:26 PM
Veteran Member

What do you mean finish the interior?

Old 08-11-2013, 04:31 PM
Veteran Member
Received 567 Likes on 514 Posts

Originally Posted by JgaXkr
What do you mean finish the interior?
He's working on changing the headliner, etc. to black.

Old 08-11-2013, 06:27 PM
Veteran Member
Received 677 Likes on 551 Posts

Originally Posted by Cat Man Do
A body kit (or parts thereof) should be like clothes on a beautiful woman. They should enhance what is naturally there without being a distraction. The same goes for accessories. Too much bling (jewelry) takes away from her good looks and cheapens her.
I think you have reached a point where further attempts at updating the look of your car will only make a caricature out of it. It looks fantastic as you have it and makes a bold styling statement. Finish off the interior mods and enjoy your masterpiece!
+1

What he said.

Old 08-11-2013, 06:35 PM
Veteran Member

Let me continue the "fashion" train of thought.
Coco Chanel said a lady should always look in the mirror and remove one accessory before walking out.
My car is looking in the mirror and loosing two, the side strips and the hump vents. (Let's ignore the obvious bonnet leaper! Non negotiable even though its merely adhered on, no hole)
As for the interior, my seats need a bit if work and one door panel has a strange situation with the padded leather above the pocket handle. So I'm recovering in black suede and hope to find a black headliner as mine is BAD!!
No crazy mods inside, (unless the chrome rings and shifter surround are crazy) but I would love the factory carbon dash!!

Old 08-11-2013, 06:39 PM
Veteran Member

Originally Posted by JgaXkr
Is your kit from Arden or Mina Gallery? Here is a cross between Arden & Paragon with a few custom touch

Mine is Mina, but basically identical to Arden. I thought about the quad tail lights but I really love both the headlamps and taillamps especially my victory tail lamps.
I do love some of paragon's kits but getting them here was just too cost prohibitive and actually, if I had spent that much, I'd have just purchased a later model, post 2007 XK.

Old 08-11-2013, 10:26 PM
Received 149 Likes on 118 Posts

If you're looking for constructive criticism, lose the Leaper hood ornament and hood vent bulges.

The body kit and grille setup looks great.

Old 08-12-2013, 05:09 AM
Veteran Member
Received 133 Likes on 107 Posts

As far as body kits, I don't think a single one compares with the the update that Jaguar did for 04-06. Just the right amount of new blended with the old... very classy and modern looking.

As for what I would personally consider crossing the line? I dunno, but I've only done a few minor things. I've added white/clear front side markers and side turn signals. I've added the Mina lower grille. It's all I really wanted to do.

I've thought about blacking out the grille and the wheels, but I'm happy with the way she sits. Removing those horrible yellow front/side markers was probably the most desirable mod for me. I like simple and clean though.

Attached Thumbnails Question: what's the consensus on the Arden ground effects modification.-sq8v.jpg  
The following users liked this post:
ccfulton (08-12-2013)
Old 08-12-2013, 07:10 AM
Veteran Member

[QUOTE=xenophobe;790056]As far as body kits, I don't think a single one compares with the the update that Jaguar did for 04-06. Just the right amount of new blended with the old... very classy and modern looking.

As for what I would personally consider crossing the line? I dunno, but I've only done a few minor things. I've added white/clear front side markers and side turn signals. I've added the Mina lower grille. It's all I really wanted to do.

I've thought about blacking out the grille and the wheels, but I'm happy with the way she sits. Removing those horrible yellow front/side markers was probably the most desirable mod for me. I like simple and clean though.

[/

You were lucky enough to find a later model in what looks like great condition. And you can thank the arden kit for your updated look. It was directly influenced by the Arden ground effects.
I, on the other hand, after looking for over a year, wasn't so lucky and could only find a 2002 in moderate condition. And my wheels were in deplorable shape. (Luskily found the black wheels and new tires included on ebay, saving over 1000.00) I did look into replacing the front and sides with 04 parts but that cost was not an option so the arden kit was a reasonable compromise. I've never really cared for the pre 04 lower profile.
I also tried the same mesh grille, but IMO, it looked like an older actress with Botoxed lips, trying to look younger. The recessed flat grille is clearly the best mesh grille available for our cars. (Although it takes more work to install) It minimized the rounded, pointed nose, which needs no more attention.

Last edited by philhef; 08-12-2013 at 07:14 AM.
Old 08-12-2013, 08:57 AM
Veteran Member
Received 1,106 Likes on 763 Posts

Originally Posted by xenophobe
That is one gorgeous black car.

I really need to get the clay bar out and give mine a good nitpicking.

Last edited by ccfulton; 08-12-2013 at 08:59 AM.
Old 08-12-2013, 09:00 AM
Veteran Member

Originally Posted by Sentinelist
If you're looking for constructive criticism, lose the Leaper hood ornament and hood vent bulges.

The body kit and grille setup looks great.
Bulges are gone!! YAY!! Just waiting for a compound and buff then I'll post new pics!
Leaper is another issue. I didn't drill holes so not a problem, but it's a sentimental nod to my mom. Se had the first jaguar in our town in 1978 and she always loved the leaper (her name was Katherine, but everyone called her Kat) so I've always added a modified leaper with 3m badge tape to all my Jaguars.
If I were to sell the car, I'd remove it, but it makes me smile and think of her every time I see it! She just passed away less than two years ago. (I did paint it black to minimize it!)

Old 08-13-2013, 12:09 AM
Received 80 Likes on 52 Posts

Always thought the Arden kits were wildly overpriced, but to each his own.

Quick Reply: Question: what's the consensus on the Arden ground effects modification.