Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

A quickie about cam covers

Search this Thread

Old 07-11-2012, 04:29 PM
Banned
Received 26 Likes on 14 Posts
Default A quickie about cam covers

I got to the stage in the last hour of daylight today, where my cam covers should have come off, except they didn't.
So the question is, do the cam covers often "stick"?

I was pulling on them, trying to be careful, but using more force than i thought i should need, and although i could get a little play, it was millimetres.
I tried prising up the cam cover on the right side with a flat blade screwdriver, thinking the cover was stuck to the gasket, but i broke a tiny chunk out of the plastic cam cover (very tiny), which served as a warning not to continue.

Intake manifold, throttle body, air filter box, header tank, coil overs and even the spark plugs have been removed.
The electrical connectors to the variable camshaft timing oil control solenoids have been disconnected, and i understand that the covers pull over the actual solenoid housing, so i don't need to take that off.
Is that right?
Wiring loom plugs that attach to the cam cover have also been disconnected from the covers.

Old 07-11-2012, 04:47 PM
Veteran Member
Received 2,981 Likes on 2,123 Posts

Originally Posted by Roadhogg
I got to the stage in the last hour of daylight today, where my cam covers should have come off, except they didn't.
So the question is, do the cam covers often "stick"?

I was pulling on them, trying to be careful, but using more force than i thought i should need, and although i could get a little play, it was millimetres.
I tried prising up the cam cover on the right side with a flat blade screwdriver, thinking the cover was stuck to the gasket, but i broke a tiny chunk out of the plastic cam cover (very tiny), which served as a warning not to continue.

Intake manifold, throttle body, air filter box, header tank, coil overs and even the spark plugs have been removed.
The electrical connectors to the variable camshaft timing oil control solenoids have been disconnected, and i understand that the covers pull over the actual solenoid housing, so i don't need to take that off.
Is that right?
Wiring loom plugs that attach to the cam cover have also been disconnected from the covers.

Any chance you missed removing the two bolts in the center of the cam cover (between the spark plug openings)?

The following users liked this post:
Roadhogg (07-11-2012)
Old 07-11-2012, 05:19 PM
GGG
Received 16,799 Likes on 12,168 Posts

+1

12 perimeter bolts + 2 centre bolts.

This is the sequence:

A quickie about cam covers-01-cam-cover-engine-bay.jpg

A quickie about cam covers-02-cam-cover-air-filter-trunk-removed.jpg

A quickie about cam covers-03-cam-cover-coil-cover-removed-2-.jpg

A quickie about cam covers-04-cam-cover-cam-cover-removed.jpg

Very little pressure needed to free the cover.

Graham

The following users liked this post:
Roadhogg (07-11-2012)
Old 07-11-2012, 05:37 PM
Banned
Received 26 Likes on 14 Posts

Oh damm, you were absolutely right WhiteXKR.

When i took the coil overs out i left the connectors roughly in place, and they were covering those 2 bolts. I didn't even see them.

My payback i guess, for trying to rush the last bit in order to get a look at the tensioners. . . which look like second generaton with the wide and hollow triangular elbows on either side at the top.

I'll have another look in daylight.

Thank you WhiteXKR, and GGG.

God i amaze myself at times