XK8 / XKR ( X100 ) 1996 - 2006
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Radio display fades out...radio works fine

Search this Thread

Old 04-11-2017, 09:48 AM
Received 247 Likes on 177 Posts
Default Radio display fades out...radio works fine

I posted this earlier in the general tech area without any luck so I'll give the XK8 owners a shot.

I've searched all over the forum but can't find any real things to try for this problem.

I have a '99 XK8 with the HK Premium am/fm/cass w/trunk CD and it works fine (now that I replaced the blown subs). My problem is that the display will often not show anything. Other times it works fine so it's erratic. The only thing I did notice over time was that often when it decides to NOT work it will come on at some point down the road either as a result of the unit warming up internally or some other event.

Rough roads don't effect it and switching modes or turning on and off don't effect it so it's purely an internal thing. No battery issues as it's a reasonably new one of some 4 months and the problem was there even before I replaced that battery.

So TWO questions.

Anyone know of a company that repairs these head units and what could I do myself with minimum hassle to address the likely suspect part?

Old 04-11-2017, 10:40 AM
Received 268 Likes on 200 Posts

Sounds like a dry solder joint, as it works intermittently. You could maybe find a local electronics repair place (do they still have tv repairers?) to give it a once over. If it is a dry joint you shouldn't need someone that is an expert in this particular unit, just someone who can spot a dry joint and resolder.

Old 04-11-2017, 12:37 PM
dsd
Veteran Member
Received 326 Likes on 231 Posts

Originally Posted by bladerunner919
Sounds like a dry solder joint, as it works intermittently. You could maybe find a local electronics repair place (do they still have tv repairers?) to give it a once over. If it is a dry joint you shouldn't need someone that is an expert in this particular unit, just someone who can spot a dry joint and resolder.
If thats the case, may be cheaper and faster to find a unit on eBay.

Best!
dsd

Old 04-12-2017, 07:48 AM
Received 247 Likes on 177 Posts
Default TV/Radio repair shops???? You gotta be kidding

Originally Posted by bladerunner919
I haven't seen a repair shop in my neck of the woods for at least 8 years but there nay be one over in Gainesville about 50 mikes east of me.

I contacted Sybesmas, the folks who repair our mirrors but they don't do radios as I was hoping with their electronic expertise they'd know what to look for but no joy there.

I was thinking along similar lines given the displays erratic behavior and the way in which it will fade out most often in initial operation and not come on until sometime later after warming up.

I wouldn't know what to look for as I've never seen a "dry solder" connection and it could bite me on the butt and I wouldn't recognize it.

Old 04-12-2017, 09:37 AM
Received 268 Likes on 200 Posts

Is there a local school that has a tech-skills department? You'd probably find a whizzkid there that's handy with a soldering iron!