XK8 / XKR ( X100 ) 1996 - 2006
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Rant about Build quality

Search this Thread

Old 04-16-2014, 09:44 PM
Received 34 Likes on 27 Posts
Wink Rant about Build quality

Is it just me or is the build quality on XK's just to good.

For my MOT I needed a new driverside Track rod end and new bushings on the upper wishbone (passenger side), two straightforward jobs right ? Except that these were still the original parts and had (evidently) never been removed.

Ended up having to cut almost through the lock nut on the track rod end and split it with a cold chisel to get that off (4 hrs to replace in total). Removing the wishbone took 10hrs of hammering penetrating fluid, more hammering etc. Putting the fulcrum pin back in took a further 2 hours of cajolling.

Ready for MOT - nope tested the car and ABS light on - turns out while wrestling with the wishbone I had bashed the ABS sensor so that needed to be replaced. Would the bolt move - nope, just rounded off with light pressure - looks like it hasn't been touched since the car was built 13 years ago. So now reached the point of cutting a slot in the head of the bolt and will try an impact driver on it in the morning. Bet the sensor wont move after I get the bolt off next.

Think I'll buy shares in the companies that make penetrating fluid- I'm using that much of it I may as well get some cash back.

Old 04-16-2014, 09:53 PM
Veteran Member
Received 1,110 Likes on 932 Posts

Too much salt. You need to move to somewhere like the Georgia mountains.

Old 04-16-2014, 11:35 PM
Received 34 Likes on 27 Posts

would love to move to the states but couldn't face leaving my horses behind or moving them that far. Wish they would find something as good as salt but without the drawbacks.

Old 04-17-2014, 04:45 AM
GGG
Received 16,766 Likes on 12,154 Posts

Originally Posted by tberry6686

For my MOT I needed a new driverside Track rod end and new bushings on the upper wishbone (passenger side), two straightforward jobs right ? Except that these were still the original parts and had (evidently) never been removed.
I feel your pain.

Although I've done many upper wishbone bushes, I have had two with seized fulcrum shafts that took three and four days respectively of alternate heat, penetrating oil and hammering to shift them.

A tip for next time, if there is one. As you are in the UK, used Upper Wishbones are relatively cheap and you can save a lot of time and trouble by slicing a seized one off with a cutting disc.

Graham

Old 04-17-2014, 05:50 AM
Received 149 Likes on 88 Posts

Originally Posted by tberry6686

Ended up having to cut almost through the lock nut on the track rod end and split it with a cold chisel to get that off (4 hrs to replace in total). Removing the wishbone took 10hrs of hammering penetrating fluid, more hammering etc. Putting the fulcrum pin back in took a further 2 hours of cajolling.

Ready for MOT - nope tested the car and ABS light on - turns out while wrestling with the wishbone I had bashed the ABS sensor so that needed to be replaced. Would the bolt move - nope, just rounded off with light pressure - looks like it hasn't been touched since the car was built 13 years ago. So now reached the point of cutting a slot in the head of the bolt and will try an impact driver on it in the morning. Bet the sensor wont move after I get the bolt off next.

Think I'll buy shares in the companies that make penetrating fluid- I'm using that much of it I may as well get some cash back.
Yep - been there and done that with my 2001 XKR! - was in main dealer for over a week and needed subframe removed to get them out - big bill!

Steve