XK8 / XKR ( X100 ) 1996 - 2006
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Rear clunking - lower shock bushings ordering?

Search this Thread

Old 07-01-2011, 04:57 AM
Received 112 Likes on 56 Posts
Default Rear clunking - lower shock bushings ordering?

I'm getting clunking from the rear and from the threads I read here it sounds like it could be the lower shock bushings. I already played around with the trunk lid and it wasn't that.

I want to replace the bushings with rubber units, and from other threads here it sounds like I should go oem jag parts. Can anyone recommend a cheap source for these parts?

And just to confirm, am I looking for part CCC6782#
"OEM lower rear shock absorber spherical bush"? I found a competitive price on britishparts.co.uk but its not oem jag - any thoughts or recommendations?

Thanks!

Old 07-01-2011, 05:15 AM
Veteran Member
Received 637 Likes on 439 Posts

You can contact our vendors

NALLEY JAGUAR ( they may not ship outside the US )
JPAM

other jag sellers

www.jagbits.com

www.motorcarsltd.com

Old 07-02-2011, 12:07 AM
Veteran member
Received 1,144 Likes on 750 Posts

yah, in the US, you will find it difficult to find the bushings themselves, I don't even think the dealers are doing bushings on the shocks anymore, most of us just replace the entire shock if they can't press the bushings in/out while still on the car. I have purchased several items from britishparts, and trust their parts, even if it is not OEM.

Old 07-02-2011, 12:22 AM

Thanks for the tips guys.

Is there anything else I can (relatively easily) replace while I'm back there that could help resolve the clunking/that has been known to wear out and cause noise? I'll be changing the lower shock bushings for sure.

Old 07-02-2011, 08:07 AM
Received 37 Likes on 26 Posts

If you want to know that the bushing is what is bad, have someone bounce the back of the car enough to make the clunking sound while you hold your hand on the very bottom of the shock and lower control arm. If it is bad you should feel some movement between the two.

Here's a thread with some hints as to how I changed mine; https://www.jaguarforums.com/forum/x...n-clunk-53209/

And that did fix the clunk.

The other option was to replace the entire rear shock, but those cost about $400 Vs $100 for the bushing alone, and looked like MUCH more work, removing the spindle and control arms so that the entire shock and spring assembly can be removed from the car... It might be worth it if the shocks were getting bad too, or you wanted to put in lowering springs.

According to the previous owner, my shocks were supose to be only a year or so old.

Old 07-05-2011, 11:08 AM
Veteran member

Andy is correct, the shock replacement is much more involved, especially if the bushing can be changed while the shock is still attached to the car.

I changed my shocks out since I was at 110,000 miles on the originals and my lower bushing was toast...I did it using jack stands in my garage as high as I could get the car up, lowering the control arm, and bending the cover plate so the arms could fall enough that the shock w/ spring could clear the hub...and the shocks are only $100 each online if you don't go through the dealer, genuine Bilsteins too.

Old 07-05-2011, 06:37 PM

I think I'll be changing just the lower bushings right now, I'm at 70k miles and the shocks are still fine. I don't put that much mileage on.

It sounds like aftermarket bushings are more difficult to install (reading by a few threads), or are there any aftermarket ones out there that have been tried and work? I know I'm new to this brand, I know its a jag, but $100 for a single oem bushing

Old 07-05-2011, 06:48 PM
Received 106 Likes on 67 Posts

I'd reccomend just changing out the shocks because you could buy a hole new bilstein for the price of the bushing. However I know the shops around me won't put them in unless they buy them, and I do reccommend having someone else installing them unless you have the proper equip. I installed some shims on my assemblies and I have the bloody knuckles to prove it, though I don't have the audio to go with it. I believe this is the Bilstein # for the rear BE5-6727-H0. I know EShocks had all 4 for about $370.00. I have the Bilsteins on the front but haven't needed to change the rears yet.

Old 07-05-2011, 08:41 PM

Originally Posted by pomosv
I think I'll be changing just the lower bushings right now, I'm at 70k miles and the shocks are still fine. I don't put that much mileage on.

It sounds like aftermarket bushings are more difficult to install (reading by a few threads), or are there any aftermarket ones out there that have been tried and work? I know I'm new to this brand, I know its a jag, but $100 for a single oem bushing
It's not really a bushing, Its actually a kind of ball joint.

Old 07-05-2011, 08:47 PM

So If I order the Billsteins, they come with the new bushings already pressed in? Are these compatible with the air (or whatever it's called) system?

Thanks guys

Old 07-05-2011, 11:35 PM

The shocks will come with new bushings. But I don't think the $100 Bilstiens are correct for the XKR. They are probably XK8 parts and, as you suggest, won't be compatible with the CATS system.

Old 07-06-2011, 12:02 AM
Received 106 Likes on 67 Posts

Sorry about that, I didn't notice the XKR. Best price I saw on those was around $330.00 with the adaptive control. They call those out as OES genuine.

Old 07-06-2011, 05:22 PM
Veteran member

me too, just now noticed the R... and if CATS are active, and you want to keep them (you could disconnect it and put regular HD Bilsteins on) then i too would just do the bushings. New CATS shocks are crazy high price.

Sorry, didn't know you had adaptive suspension.

Old 08-25-2011, 01:30 PM

Just an update:

PROBLEM FIXED! Zero noise from rear now, car rides like new!

Had my mechanic change the rear shock lower bushings/aka ball joints, and sway bar end links and sway bar bushings while he was at it. All parts were aftermarket bought online, and they worked great. Even though I'm a diy guy these bushings looked like a pain and I'm glad I had him do it - even with a lift and air tools he said it was a major PIA.

On my 02 xkr coupe at 75k miles both lower rear shock bushings were shot, but the driver's side was actually worse (even though the noise was coming from the passenger side, weird). The sway bar end links were also shot even though they looked OK until removed. Sway bar bushings were OK but I just replaced them anyways.

Very happy problem's fixed now, car rides great. Hope this helps someone in the future hunting down rear end noise!

Old 08-25-2011, 11:49 PM
Veteran member

Super, glad that all worked out for ya. The lower bushings are becoming more frequently chatted about on the forums. Now, what's that new noise you're hearing? lol

Old 08-26-2011, 12:37 AM

Originally Posted by h20boy
Now, what's that new noise you're hearing? lol
Hopefully a little more rummble when I pick up the coupe tomorrow from the shop, after having a center x-pipe welded on!

Then, it's off to some diy time in the garage fitting the new +3psi pulley, the new tensioners, redying the interior, painting the calipers & installing new pads, and changing the oil/fuel filter/new belts.

Old 08-26-2011, 01:58 PM
Received 8 Likes on 4 Posts

jagbits sells the rear lower shock bushings (CCC6782-OE). I replaced the right one last year and soon I have to do the left side. They are difficult to get in and out, easy to ruin the rubber boot while you press them into the shock. Much cheaper than shocks though.
Mark

Old 05-25-2018, 08:08 AM
Received 27 Likes on 15 Posts
Default This is on a XK8. New shocks only cost a little over $212.00 for the pair.

I just replaced the complete shock when my lower bushing had failed. This is just a 2000 XK8.

when my lower bushings failed.
Original rear shock on left with 68k miles. Had a clunk in the rear, caused by bad lower shock bushing.<br/>

Replaced upper spring seats while at it.

New parts. So far happy with ride.

Last edited by hemitwist; 05-25-2018 at 08:12 AM. Reason: forgot to say XK8
Old 05-25-2018, 09:06 AM
Veteran Member
Received 402 Likes on 299 Posts
Talking Rear Shocks

I'm doing this now. I got new Bilsteins with the bushes, etc. It's a pretty big job, but it wouldn't have been too horrible except for the seized bolt in the bottom of one of the shocks. I saw a guy on utube doing this and he was right when he said there is no way to get these out if they are seized. But anyway, I got new sway bar (anti-roll bar) downlinks while at it. They were cheap and easy.

Attached Thumbnails Rear clunking - lower shock bushings ordering?-rearshock.jpg.jpg  
Old 05-25-2018, 01:43 PM
Veteran Member
Received 1,106 Likes on 763 Posts

When I had these done a couple years ago, the shop had to cut the bottom out of the shock to get them off.

Quick Reply: Rear clunking - lower shock bushings ordering?