XK8 / XKR ( X100 ) 1996 - 2006
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Replaced Rearview Mirror Now Auto Headlights Dont Work?

Old 10-31-2010, 09:23 AM
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Default Replaced Rearview Mirror Now Auto Headlights Dont Work?

The rearview mirror on my 2001 XKR was replaced yesterday and last night the auto mode on the headlights didnt work (manual headlights were fine). Did he knock out the sensors? Any ideas? Thanks

Old 10-31-2010, 10:58 AM
Received 21 Likes on 19 Posts

wrong mirror, same thing happened to mine

Old 10-31-2010, 11:00 AM
Veteran Member
Received 1,257 Likes on 563 Posts

I'll join in with this thread because I have a similar but opposite problem. My headlights come on way too early. From outside the car I can look in that little pocket in front of the mirror and see that a couple of dead bugs and some dust have somehow gotten into the area where I think the light sensor is.

Old 10-31-2010, 02:40 PM
Veteran Member
Received 256 Likes on 200 Posts

The light sensor is the little half round button on top of the dash close to the windshield.

Old 10-31-2010, 03:01 PM
Veteran Member
Received 1,257 Likes on 563 Posts

Originally Posted by hlgeorge
The light sensor is the little half round button on top of the dash close to the windshield.
I think that's for something else. Someone mentioned it a while back but I forget what they said it was for. If you look on the Safelite website they say that the windshield has a light sensor and a rain sensor.

Old 10-31-2010, 03:32 PM
Received 21 Likes on 19 Posts

Originally Posted by hlgeorge
that would be the sun load sensor for the climate control

Old 10-31-2010, 05:00 PM
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

I dont think its the wrong mirror, the model # is identical to the broken one and the power lights up on the mirrior. Any other ideas?

Old 10-31-2010, 05:13 PM
Gus
Veteran Member
Received 2,207 Likes on 1,700 Posts

The solar sensor is on the dash (a small round dome)

The interior mirror does have control of sorts for the auto headlamps. See Fig 11.3 http://www.gusglikas.com/images/Auto.../jagxk2001.pdf it also goes to the reverse lamps. If it were me I would look at the reverse lamps to see if they are working then check the fuses.

Last edited by Gus; 10-31-2010 at 05:26 PM. Reason: Add the oneline link and fig#
Old 10-31-2010, 07:19 PM
Fjk
Received 16 Likes on 12 Posts

Use the link to Gus's site to get the wiring diagram for your car.

11.3 shows the head light sensor in the rear view mirror ( silver colored trapezoid shape)
It supplies a ground to the Body Processor Module ( if switch is in "Auto") to turn on
Head Lights.

So you could have a new defective mirror or cable problem. Probably an installer induced cable problem

14.1 Shows the rain sensor. It is just above the Headlight sensor (round) It also supplies
a ground to the Body Processor module.

You can test the rain sensor by passing your finger over the sensor. Ign. must be on and
the wipers must be in Auto.

I'm betting it does not work either....

Oh, that dome at the base of the windshield is a solar sensor (07.1). It feeds .75v to 4.75v (increases with more light) to the A/C module. I'm guessing here but I assume it biases the temp setting to compensate for increasing solar load. Seen this on other cars.

Older Jags are a lot easier...just find the source of the smoke....

Old 10-31-2010, 11:35 PM
Veteran Member
Received 256 Likes on 200 Posts

Originally Posted by XKR Brian
that would be the sun load sensor for the climate control
Ah yes, I was thinking of my XJ8. Sorry..........

Old 11-06-2010, 09:08 PM
Received 9 Likes on 8 Posts

My auto lights stopped working when my mirror decided to leak out its fluid. I am still looking for that replacement! I checked the fusees and my reverse lights work fine so I am pretty sure it is the mirror that is causing the issue.

Old 05-30-2011, 06:03 PM
Received 198 Likes on 106 Posts

11.3 shows the headlightsensor in the rear view mirror ( silver colored trapezoid shape)
It supplies a ground to the Body Processor Module ( if switch is in "Auto") to turn on
Head Lights.

Hello, FJK you refer to this wire (?) As silver colored trapezoid shape. Is this the wire or something else you refer to?
I had someone reinstalling and viper alarm in that area and now my auto headlamps to not work. I'm sure they will say they had nothing to do with it. But they worked before and not now. So I thought if I could tell them what to look for they might be able to identify the wire that is either broken or pulled out. Can you explain where that wire is and where is should go to and what to look for. Thanks very much for your time and reply.
vettegood@aol.com

Old 06-24-2011, 08:14 AM
Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

My mirror (MY 2000 XK8) leaked its fluid and I sent it off to be rebuilt. ($95, there are threads for this) While the mirror was gone, had to manually operate the headlights. I suspect you have the wrong replacement mirror.

Old 06-24-2011, 10:05 AM

Originally Posted by tcap1047
My mirror (MY 2000 XK8) leaked its fluid and I sent it off to be rebuilt. ($95, there are threads for this) While the mirror was gone, had to manually operate the headlights. I suspect you have the wrong replacement mirror.

When this happened did your auto lights stop working???

Mine did after about a week and now I am wondering if sending this out to replace the fluid will fix the auto light?

So hope to hear back from you to what you find out!

Old 06-24-2011, 10:32 AM
Veteran Member
Received 537 Likes on 400 Posts

I guess I come from the "old school" where I like to be the one who decides when lights need to come on and when windshield wipers need to wipe. Consequently, the first thing I did when I took possession from the previous owner was to set both headlight and wiper controls to off rather than auto. I am thankful that the car did not come with the idiotic daylight running lights as I would have found a way to disable those as well.

Doug

Old 08-31-2011, 08:09 PM

Hello, auto on for headlight sensor is in the rear of rearview mirror on drivers side of center. Just so you know i did the tape trick 2 years or so ago and now my auto on feature no longer works. I have been told that the sensor has gone bad and the tape was the reason. They said when the tape is over the sensor the sensor is always on because the relay is on since it does not see light ( then relay closed). I am not completely sure this is correct information, but i am told with new mirror the sensor will work. I have not bought a new mirror yet to try this theory out, i'm a bit concerned about paying a couple hundred or so and finding out the info. Is not correct. Also i am wondering if the sensor in the mirror can be changed out by itself and fix the problem that way it would certainly seem cheaper but i am thinking new sensor only with new mirror. Anyone have thoughts or ideas about this fix? The tape being the problem seems plausible and if that is the reason, my reccomendation is to not try it unless you want to buy new mirror. My mirror was new about 2 years ago because of bad mono chromatic stuff inside so i replaced but sensor in new mirror only lasted about 2 years with tape over sensor so lights would come on with start up and essentially become daylight running light for my 2001 xkr which do not have capabilty of drl's. If anyone has thoughts let them speak now. Thanks

Old 11-05-2011, 01:14 PM

Re-opening this thread because i just installed my fixed mirror from Sybesma my auto light is still NOT working. Is there a fuse to this by chance?

Old 11-05-2011, 02:07 PM
Default auto head lights

You most likely have a problem with the light switch on steering column if the light eye was fixed or replaced!
When they fixed your mirror, what did they fix? If it was only the leaking fluid, they probably did not replace the light eye in the mirror itself, the eye that triggers the switch to turn on the head lights because it is dark. so the problem itself could still be in several different locations. Bummer huh? I still have not gotten mine fixed either.

Old 11-05-2011, 11:28 PM

It was just the fluid replaced. Has anyone taken the mirror apart to see if the eye can be repaired?

Old 11-06-2011, 03:22 AM
Veteran member
Received 168 Likes on 126 Posts

Originally Posted by turbo68
It was just the fluid replaced. Has anyone taken the mirror apart to see if the eye can be repaired?
Forgive my ignorance, but why the heck is there fluid in a mirror?

The following users liked this post:
wcnesta (09-13-2012)

Search this Thread
Quick Reply: Replaced Rearview Mirror Now Auto Headlights Dont Work?