Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Replacing A/C Expansion valve. Help Please

Search this Thread

Old 06-22-2017, 01:18 PM
Received 281 Likes on 203 Posts
Default Replacing A/C Expansion valve. Help Please

Howdy folks:
I do not expect step by step instructions, but I would like to know the general areas to remove to access the A/C expansion valve (mine is stuck open) along with any tips within those areas. I expect to uncover a valve similar to the one that Rockauto list as opposed to the rectangle block type. I am just trying to get my ducks in a row before I start work when cold season sets on. I have not seen any write-ups about this for our X100's. I am guessing that I will have a minimum of at least 12 hours work.
(If I have missed something in the stickys, I certainly apologize as I realize that more hours than I can even imagine have gone into them.)
Many thanks

Old 06-24-2017, 02:14 PM
Received 44 Likes on 38 Posts

I think 12 hours might be very optimistic. If you decide to undertake this adventure you probably should replace the evaporator and heater core while your in there. blend door actuators, sensors etc. You wont want to go in again in the future.
Curious as to why you think the valve is stuck open. is the suction line freezing up?

The following users liked this post:
Dr. D (06-25-2017)
Old 06-25-2017, 03:35 PM

Originally Posted by dennysjag
I think 12 hours might be very optimistic. If you decide to undertake this adventure you probably should replace the evaporator and heater core while your in there. blend door actuators, sensors etc. You wont want to go in again in the future.
Curious as to why you think the valve is stuck open. is the suction line freezing up?
Agree on the heater core for sure, other components probably by ear. I have 3 local gurus to help me, but none are Jaguar savy.
Vent temp output will go below 35deg F then rise. I am assuming in addition to low side line freezing, that the evaporator has to be icing up. Regardless, I am going to try to enjoy some topdown weather first.
Thanks for the considerations.

Old 06-25-2017, 05:34 PM
Received 44 Likes on 38 Posts
Default evap

if the evap is freezing the evap is probably not at fault. first evac and charge to spec. get a temp reading on inlet and outlet of the condenser. you should see about a 35 deg drop between them. these cars have some soficated control strategies.
your expansion valve seems to be working. if it was restricted the system would go into vacuum.
assuming you have a/c gages to monitor pressures.
this system uses blend doors to mix heat and cold to give the requested temperature.
obviously i have not seen the car. just make sure all else is propper before taking out the dashboard.
good luck.

Old 06-25-2017, 09:38 PM

I will pass this info on to my best guru this week. I would welcome not having to pull the dash. My thinking was that if the valve is stuck open , it would not create a restriction as a stuck closed one would. This is a learning process for me. Thank you