XK8 / XKR ( X100 ) 1996 - 2006
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Replacing High-Beams with HIR Bulbs (Yes... HIR, not HID)

Search this Thread

Old 06-13-2010, 11:00 AM
Veteran Member
Received 1,259 Likes on 564 Posts
Default Replacing High-Beams with HIR Bulbs (Yes... HIR, not HID)

In my quest to find the brightest headlights for my car, I came across something called HIR bulbs. Here's a link with a complete description of the bulbs and how they work. I did a little research to make sure it wasn't just a marketing gimmick, and everything I read about them supports the claim that they are significantly brighter than standard bulbs. I also found a forum dedicated to light bulbs and many of the members there had installed them and posted before and after pics and stuff. I was impressed enough to buy a pair. I as also blown away that there is an entire forum dedicated to light bulbs. The internet never ceases to amaze me.

So the bulbs showed up yesterday and I was super-excited about getting them installed. I then learned how hard it is to replace the high beams on an XK8. I started another thread to ask for help, and Spinakerr came to my rescue. I finally got them installed this morning. After getting the old bulbs out, I discovered a little problem. the new bulbs are supposed to be direct replacements for 9005 bulbs, but the new bulbs were angled and the old bulbs were straight. See pic. The Original bulb is on the left and the new HIR bulb is on the right.

Name:  HIRbulbvStandardbulb.jpg
Views: 1626
Size:  52.2 KB

It took a little maneuvering to get the angled bulbs installed, but eventually I got it to work.

Last night I took some pics against the garage door of the standard high-beam bulbs. I used manual settings on the camera, and tonight I'll set the camera back to the same settings, take another pic of the new HIR bulbs, and post the two pics side-by-side for comparison.

Old 06-13-2010, 11:15 AM
Received 12 Likes on 11 Posts

these supposedly are really bright lights, Ive read on these lights before on the honda forums. Personally Id rather throw hid's in place, just personal preference.

Old 06-13-2010, 02:02 PM
Veteran Member

Originally Posted by StrateLoss
these supposedly are really bright lights, Ive read on these lights before on the honda forums. Personally Id rather throw hid's in place, just personal preference.
I was thinking about doing HIDs then I learned that HIDs do not come on to full brightness instantly. They take a couple of minutes to warm up. So if you're driving down a road where you have to switch between high beams and low beams frequently, you'll never seen the full brightness of the HIDs. The HIRs, on the other hand, are just like halogens in that they are fully bright as soon as you switch them on.

Old 06-13-2010, 04:56 PM

yes your right in that aspect. the hids on my civic take about 4 seconds to become fully iluminated.

these are by the best halogen lights around. period.

Old 06-13-2010, 10:55 PM
Veteran Member

Well... I was going to post pics, but it's not that simple. I didn't position the car in the same position for the before and after pics, so you can't really make a comparison between the two. However, out on the road my high-beams seem noticeably brighter.

Old 06-14-2010, 11:01 PM
Veteran Member

Holy cow! I went for a drive in the country this evening. The HIR high-beams make a HUGE difference! I'm going to buy those for my other cars now.

Old 06-15-2010, 09:02 AM
Veteran member
Received 1,144 Likes on 750 Posts

I suppose they would fit into the fogs also, if you're going all the way.

Old 06-15-2010, 02:54 PM

you actually dont want very powerful fogs, it cause strain on the eyes having so much forground brightness. takes concetration away from further down the road too.

it why no oem fog comes HID, ever.

Old 06-15-2010, 03:26 PM
Veteran Member

Originally Posted by h20boy
I suppose they would fit into the fogs also, if you're going all the way.
I have bigger plans for my fog lights. Originally I was going to replace them with airplane landing lights (I'm a pilot) but I can't find a landing light to fit in the hole. Most landing lights are 4.5 inches and the hole is about 3.5. Now my plan is to make my own LED lights using SSC-P7 LEDs and 10 degree relectors. The LEDs are 900 lumens each and the reflectors are about an inch across. If I do three rows 2-3-2, that will give me 7 LEDs per side at 6300 total lumens per side. A normal high beam is 1700 lumens, so my home-made, narrow beam driving lights will be 3.7 times as bright as a normal high beam. I'll have to rig a relay in there so that the "fog" light can come on when the high-beams are on, rather than the other way around. Normally the fog turns off when the high beam is on. I have no need for fog lights, but I want some super-duper powerful driving lights. I promise not to shine them in anyone's eyes. They will be strictly for use while driving on deserted roads.

Old 06-15-2010, 06:16 PM
Veteran Member
Received 256 Likes on 200 Posts

Originally Posted by Reverend Sam
In my quest to find the brightest headlights for my car, I came across something called HIR bulbs. Here's a link with a complete description of the bulbs and how they work. I did a little research to make sure it wasn't just a marketing gimmick, and everything I read about them supports the claim that they are significantly brighter than standard bulbs. I also found a forum dedicated to light bulbs and many of the members there had installed them and posted before and after pics and stuff. I was impressed enough to buy a pair. I as also blown away that there is an entire forum dedicated to light bulbs. The internet never ceases to amaze me.

So the bulbs showed up yesterday and I was super-excited about getting them installed. I then learned how hard it is to replace the high beams on an XK8. I started another thread to ask for help, and Spinakerr came to my rescue. I finally got them installed this morning. After getting the old bulbs out, I discovered a little problem. the new bulbs are supposed to be direct replacements for 9005 bulbs, but the new bulbs were angled and the old bulbs were straight. See pic. The Original bulb is on the left and the new HIR bulb is on the right.

It took a little maneuvering to get the angled bulbs installed, but eventually I got it to work.

Last night I took some pics against the garage door of the standard high-beam bulbs. I used manual settings on the camera, and tonight I'll set the camera back to the same settings, take another pic of the new HIR bulbs, and post the two pics side-by-side for comparison.
The one on the left is a 9005
The one on the right is a 9006

They sent you the wrong replacement lamp.

I replaced mine with Sylvania SilverStar lamps and am very pleased with the difference.

Old 06-15-2010, 09:19 PM
Veteran Member

Originally Posted by hlgeorge
The one on the left is a 9005
The one on the right is a 9006

They sent you the wrong replacement lamp.
I thought that was maybe the case, too, but I did a google image search and learned that 9005's and 9006's are both angled. There is a straight base version of each, but the 9011's and 9012's aren't made in straight base. It didn't make any difference in the end. I was able to make the angle base bulbs fit.

Old 06-16-2010, 06:58 AM
ud
Received 147 Likes on 75 Posts

These look very promising Sam. I'd like to try these for the brights on my X350. It has HIDs, for the lows, but switching to highs the extra light is underwhelming against the ice blue 8000Ks.

Old 06-16-2010, 08:35 AM
Veteran member
Received 1,144 Likes on 750 Posts

still waiting on the pics of before and after with the new bulbs sam!

Old 06-16-2010, 09:51 AM
Veteran Member
Received 637 Likes on 439 Posts

and the videos

Old 01-24-2012, 05:05 PM
Received 8 Likes on 7 Posts

So the bulbs showed up yesterday and I was super-excited about getting them installed. I then learned how hard it is to replace the high beams on an XK8. I started another thread to ask for help, and Spinakerr came to my rescue.
Rev,

So I buy new bulbs (recommended on another thread) and get ready to tackle my first job. Mind you I have re-powered sailboat diesels and did major work on V-8s as a kid...but I have a good mechanic and I am better off leaving 99% of the jobs to him. But I figure I can handle this.

So I get on-line and l learn how to replace low-beams (sip wine). Success! (sip wine). Go back on-line for fogs (sip wine). Success! (sip wine).

High beams, however seem to be another challenge (yep...you got it...more wine). So before I get more frustrated (and drink way too much wine) is there a trick to getting those darn covers off? I was unsuccessful finding what you found about replacing high-beams.

Once again thanks in advance.

Old 01-24-2012, 05:28 PM
GGG
Received 16,798 Likes on 12,167 Posts

I was thinking about doing HIDs then I learned that HIDs do not come on to full brightness instantly. They take a couple of minutes to warm up. So if you're driving down a road where you have to switch between high beams and low beams frequently, you'll never seen the full brightness of the HIDs. The HIRs, on the other hand, are just like halogens in that they are fully bright as soon as you switch them on.
With the self levelling HID's, dipped beams come on, motor up to maximum elevation and then lower to the correct height. This takes around 5 seconds. During this time you can also see the intensity build up. Takes around 15 seconds to reach full power. However, switching to main beam is then instantaneous maximum intensity - no delay.

Graham

Old 01-26-2012, 05:30 PM
Veteran Member

Originally Posted by Jag69
Rev,

So I buy new bulbs (recommended on another thread) and get ready to tackle my first job. Mind you I have re-powered sailboat diesels and did major work on V-8s as a kid...but I have a good mechanic and I am better off leaving 99% of the jobs to him. But I figure I can handle this.

So I get on-line and l learn how to replace low-beams (sip wine). Success! (sip wine). Go back on-line for fogs (sip wine). Success! (sip wine).

High beams, however seem to be another challenge (yep...you got it...more wine). So before I get more frustrated (and drink way too much wine) is there a trick to getting those darn covers off? I was unsuccessful finding what you found about replacing high-beams.

Once again thanks in advance.
Are you talking about the plastic covers over the opening to the high beam socket? They were pretty easy to remove. There's a tab on each end of the oval cover. You just push the tabs inward and lift out the cover.

Old 01-26-2012, 06:43 PM
Veteran Member
Received 2,166 Likes on 1,610 Posts

@Rev

Are you still using the HIR bulbs and happy with them? Hard to remember with all your changes

The vendor is down to just Phillips brand HIR, no more GE or Toshiba.

Old 01-26-2012, 08:27 PM
Received 8 Likes on 7 Posts

Are you talking about the plastic covers over the opening to the high beam socket? They were pretty easy to remove. There's a tab on each end of the oval cover. You just push the tabs inward and lift out the cover.
They seem round and not oval like the low beam covers. Are the covers threaded? My low beams covers were so I assume they are as well?

Thanks in advance.

Old 01-26-2012, 08:56 PM
Veteran Member

Maybe you're trying to get to them from the wrong place. To get to the high beams you open the hood. Right above the front bumper, where the edge of the hood wraps around the headlight assembly, you'll see an oval cover on the headlight assembly. That's where you get to the high beam bulb. In other words, you get to it from the front of the car, not from the wheel well.

Quick Reply: Replacing High-Beams with HIR Bulbs (Yes... HIR, not HID)