Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Replacing my XKR Keyfob with a different model

Search this Thread

Old 03-12-2022, 09:53 AM
Received 13 Likes on 10 Posts
Default Replacing my XKR Keyfob with a different model

Cheers,

I don't know about you dear XK8 / XKR owners but i always had problems with my keyfobs on my '99 XKR. I've read lots of content on this precious forum and also on youtube about it and ended up doing the following :

- Cleaned the interior of my fobs with alcohol : works when done but after a few weeks back to lazy mode where the keyfob works once every 4 pressings
- Reprogrammed them: didn't change anything, they're already programmed in
- Bought an XType 433mhz keyfob with the folding blade (i dont car about it, just need the buttons to work) as i saw someone on this very forum making it work with his car : didn't work at all, impossible to program the keyfob with the standard procedure (no chirping when pressing a button)
- And of course changed the batteries (CR2032 or 2xCR2016) multiple times over

I'm pretty sure these problems are due to poor design of the original keyfob : the plastic buttons are coated with graphite in order to make contact on the logic board of the keyfob but that coating goes away with time i guess, hence trying with the XType keyfob which has regular physical buttons but sadly my car doesn't recognize the signal.

Has anyone tried a different solution ? How come certain xtype keyfob work with our XK's but not with others ?

Currently only one of my 2 keyfobs are working, the other one (original) doesn't work anymore and the xtype one never worked.

Thanks

Old 03-12-2022, 09:58 AM
Veteran Member
Received 1,291 Likes on 892 Posts

Get a new/used fob from an XK?
They can be found pretty easily.

Maybe I missed it - but did you replace the fob in your attempts?

Me personally, I have punished my fobs, lol. I abuse them pretty good and I have (to myself) wondered just how much punishment the doggone things will take. But that's jus me

The following users liked this post:
zray (03-12-2022)
Old 03-12-2022, 10:36 AM

Yeah sure i can just buy another one but given how my 2 keyfobs are working i'm not sure it would be better in any way. I'm guessing the conception is bad, unless i have like 10 replies stating that theirs are working perfectly which i. highly doubt !

I already bought one for the record, when i bought my car it had only one (the one that doesn't work anymore)

Old 03-12-2022, 12:06 PM
Veteran Member
Received 1,291 Likes on 892 Posts

Hmm. Mine came with the car. Could be 20yrs old. I've had it for 4. Has never given me a problem. That's jus me.

Old 03-13-2022, 10:14 AM
Veteran Member
Received 186 Likes on 161 Posts

My car came with 2 keys but only 1 FOB. I bought a used one and did the programming ritual. Both FOBs work , no problems.

Old 03-13-2022, 10:32 AM
Veteran Member
Received 1,587 Likes on 950 Posts

My eBay purchased extra fob works. Be sure to note the numbers on the back and only purchase a fob that has the same numbered series, ie is compatible.

Z

Old 03-13-2022, 10:36 AM
Veteran Member
Received 4,291 Likes on 2,818 Posts

I think it helps to handle these key fobs as carefully as you can. Keep them clean and dry, don't put them in sweaty pockets, keep them out of the reach of children and dogs, etc. Ours are kept hanging on hooks on the side of a bookcase in the home office. Better to keep them there instead of on a kitchen counter where they would be exposed to water, humidity, food preparation, steam from cooking, etc.

The following users liked this post:
zray (03-13-2022)
Old 03-13-2022, 10:43 AM
Veteran Member
Received 1,587 Likes on 950 Posts

Yes. Don’t be like me and put it in the clothes washing machine on hot water cycle with a double rinse.

When I saw what is done I was ready to pony up for a new one, but thought it worth a long shot to at least dry it out.

I opened it up and dried it with a hair blow dryer. Still working a year later, and it’s really really clean. Just call me Lucky

At least I didn’t put it in the clothes dryer too.

Z

Old 03-13-2022, 12:08 PM

I am taking care of my keyfobs gents ! In a dedicated drawer away from any source of moisture and along with my other cars keys which have no issue at all...

I have two sets, one with my regylar black key and the other one with the green valet key.

Maybe i'm just unlucky with my keyfobs then if yours are working great, i'll try to find one used on ebay

Old 03-13-2022, 02:32 PM
Veteran Member
Received 2,292 Likes on 1,504 Posts

Bear in mind that the 2001 & later fobs are electronically different to those for the early cars, and they are not interchangeable. Thankfully they are also physically different so can be identified. See this thread from Dickiederson: particularly motorcarman's post #6.

https://www.jaguarforums.com/forum/x...8/#post2451412

Later fobs seem to be plentiful and relatively cheap. Not so the early ones, which are now fetching silly money on the bay and elsewhere. The part # for a European -spec is LJA2610BB (433Mhz). Heritage shows them as out of stock, but note the cost:
https://parts.jaguarlandroverclassic.com/lja2610bb.html

Both of my fobs are working fine, although I did have one open fairly recently to replace the batteries. They came with the car so I'm pretty sure they're the originals.
Good time to give the buttons a little attention with a cotton bud and a dab of isopropyl alcohol.

Old 03-14-2022, 01:16 PM
Received 32 Likes on 25 Posts
Default Two fobs didn't work

My 2000 came with two fobs when I bought it 10 years ago. Neither fob worked. Cleaned them, changed batteries, tried various tricks to no avail. As I carry my keys in my pocket when not in the ignition I am happy to not carry a fob.

It would be nice to use the fob now, as a catch has developed in the physical lock. I'm a little afraid of it breaking one of these days.

Old 03-14-2022, 05:28 PM

Originally Posted by michaelh
Bear in mind that the 2001 & later fobs are electronically different to those for the early cars, and they are not interchangeable. Thankfully they are also physically different so can be identified. See this thread from Dickiederson: particularly motorcarman's post #6.

https://www.jaguarforums.com/forum/x...8/#post2451412

Later fobs seem to be plentiful and relatively cheap. Not so the early ones, which are now fetching silly money on the bay and elsewhere. The part # for a European -spec is LJA2610BB (433Mhz). Heritage shows them as out of stock, but note the cost:
https://parts.jaguarlandroverclassic.com/lja2610bb.html

Both of my fobs are working fine, although I did have one open fairly recently to replace the batteries. They came with the car so I'm pretty sure they're the originals.
Good time to give the buttons a little attention with a cotton bud and a dab of isopropyl alcohol.
Thank you michaelh, didn't know that something changed in 2001... probably why the Xtype fob worked with this guy in the forum as he has a 2002 xk8.
Sadly mine is a 99 car so i. have the older fob and you're right, the prices are ridiculous on ebay, here's a picture of my model :

So basically only one model works and it's both badly built and very expensive. I'm overwhelmed by so many good news !

Old 03-14-2022, 06:21 PM
Veteran Member

Yes, that is the same type as I have. If that is yours it doesn't look beyond repair? I believe it's usually the conductive pads on the buttons that causes the problem - the pad contact areas are gold plated so shouldn't tarnish.

I can't complain about build quality as both of mine are heading for their 24th birthday next month.

Old 03-14-2022, 10:29 PM
Received 131 Likes on 82 Posts

The 2001 and onward ones are from the Ford parts bin, which makes them easy to replace. My key fob has its original Jaguar case but the electronics and buttons are from an aftermarket Ford key fob. Unfortunately those of you with the earlier ones are rather stuck.

Old 03-15-2022, 04:25 AM

The photograph is not mine, just one i found on google. Mine looks better than this, but as you said @michaelh the coating on the buttons has vanished away on mine i guess.

I'll be trying to glue a fine layer of aluminium (tinfoil) on the buttons to see if it works again, might be a good way to make contact again

Old 03-15-2022, 07:24 AM
Veteran Member
Received 478 Likes on 323 Posts

Maybe cheaper than replacing the FOB would be to replace the XK???

Old 03-15-2022, 08:45 AM
Veteran Member

Originally Posted by Ryan B
...the coating on the buttons has vanished away on mine i guess.I'll be trying to glue a fine layer of aluminium (tinfoil) on the buttons to see if it works again, might be a good way to make contact again
I wonder if some of that conductive paint you can buy to repair heated rear window elements would work? Or maybe cannibalise an old remote control.

Originally Posted by SamtheSham
Maybe cheaper than replacing the FOB would be to replace the XK???
They're certainly giving a much better ROI than the cars have

Old 03-15-2022, 09:04 PM
Veteran Member
Received 1,040 Likes on 836 Posts

they used to sell aftermarket early fobs

you can try to use a 433mhz remote cloner

Last edited by xalty; 03-15-2022 at 09:07 PM.
Old 03-17-2022, 11:54 AM

Originally Posted by xalty
they used to sell aftermarket early fobs

you can try to use a 433mhz remote cloner
Interesting idea, didn't know such things existed. But having a generic with A B C D buttons is not ideal, maybe i'll give it a try

Old 03-18-2022, 04:53 AM
Received 22 Likes on 13 Posts

Hi forum members,
I had my early (1996) key fob repaired by an expert on the UK Ebay site. They replaced the graphite pads with minature buttons. The fob now has a very faint audible click from the buttons rather than the 'will it work won't it work' from the original design. Both fobs work perfectly and as the contacts are much better, the battery's seem to last longer. It was excellent service - cautiously I only sent one at a time - but both times the fobs were returned within the week. The cost of this service? £13.69 each including postage which is a bargain in my view. The item is under 'JAGUAR JAG XJ XK 4 button remote fob plip key repair service conversion' and the seller is called 'fingaz'.

Hope that helps, cheers

The following 2 users liked this post by kg7657:
Mark Oz (03-27-2022), michaelh (03-18-2022)

Quick Reply: Replacing my XKR Keyfob with a different model