XK8 / XKR ( X100 ) 1996 - 2006
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Ridiculous parts pricing

Search this Thread

Old 04-26-2017, 07:31 PM
Received 188 Likes on 123 Posts

Don't feel too bad. The ignition switch on my old 1980 Ford PU failed and I was able to get a new on from OReileys for S12.99. But the part that was broken was not the switch, but the little metal part (about 2" long) that when you turn the key pushes the lever that pushes the start switch down in the steering column and I had to order it from Ford (I was amazed it was still available) That little bitty part was $109.00 US dollars. The long part it pushes is almost five inches log (which I purchased just in case) was $23.00.
So it's not just Jaguar. The old Ford (Fix Or Repair Daily) has some pretty high priced parts also.

Cheers

Old 04-26-2017, 08:53 PM
Received 219 Likes on 112 Posts
Default Ridiculous Part Pricing is not Jaguar exclusive.

About 15 years ago I worked for Siemens Automotive, we made engine cooling motors and one of our customers was Chrysler. We sold the OEM motor for $11.70 for new cars and to Aftermarket for $17.80. My father was stranded in Florida with a burned out engine cooling fan motor so had to go to a Chrysler dealership. Motor cost $312.00. I guess that is how some people live in mansions.

The following users liked this post:
toaster (04-27-2017)
Old 04-27-2017, 03:43 PM
Received 28 Likes on 12 Posts

Back in the mid 80's I was a QC inspector in a cable manufacturer which made HT leads(remember them?) for Ford amongst others. Now if we failed the cable mid production due to high resistance we would print the Ford logo on it due to the Ford spec being a lower standard than our own internal specification. The local Ford dealer charged 5 times more than our own packaged sets - that's quite a mark up for inferior product !

Old 04-28-2017, 10:00 AM
Veteran Member
Received 334 Likes on 221 Posts

Boy - you can definitely list that story in the category of "Things people DON'T want to know."

Originally Posted by thruxitup
Back in the mid 80's I was a QC inspector in a cable manufacturer which made HT leads(remember them?) for Ford amongst others. Now if we failed the cable mid production due to high resistance we would print the Ford logo on it due to the Ford spec being a lower standard than our own internal specification. The local Ford dealer charged 5 times more than our own packaged sets - that's quite a mark up for inferior product !

Old 04-28-2017, 11:32 AM
Received 18 Likes on 16 Posts

At one time a set of plug wires for my 89 Ford Taurus SHO ran $209 from NAPA, and over $300 from Ford. I was amazed as I was able to buy a set for a LAMBO wires for $89. Shows how much of a mark up they actually make. But you also have to remember the re-sellers have to pay a lot of different people behind the scenes to necessitate the huge markup. shipping, packaging, storage, insurance the list is endless to their expenses.

Old 04-28-2017, 01:03 PM
Veteran Member
Received 10,750 Likes on 7,101 Posts

My very first 'real job' was in cosmetics....as a delivery driver. But I learned a few things . Anyhow, 600-1000% wholesale-to-retail mark-up was common.

Following that was 30 years in the auto parts and repair industry. I could write a book on pricing strategies but the short story is that you can make a killing on some things.....which makes up for the very low margin on others. When a business is described as 'greedy'....well...you really have to look at their entire book of business. Item-by-item doesn't tell the whole story.

Cheers
DD

Old 04-28-2017, 06:43 PM
Received 219 Likes on 112 Posts
Default World's most expensive box.

In about 1994 I had a 1987 AudI Quatro Turbo, fabulous car. The Auto air-conditioning went out, anot intermittent electrical problem onow the Dan speed controller. The AC system had AC Delco written all over it and was an identical system except for chrome control as we're in a Dad I'll actually. The part from AUDI was $847.00, down the street at a GMAIL dealer exact same part except in a blue GM box instead of brown AUDI that price was $124.00. Expensive throw away box.

Old 04-29-2017, 04:01 PM
Veteran Member
Received 915 Likes on 560 Posts

Originally Posted by Doug
My very first 'real job' was in cosmetics....as a delivery driver. But I learned a few things . Anyhow, 600-1000% wholesale-to-retail mark-up was common.

Following that was 30 years in the auto parts and repair industry. I could write a book on pricing strategies but the short story is that you can make a killing on some things.....which makes up for the very low margin on others. When a business is described as 'greedy'....well...you really have to look at their entire book of business. Item-by-item doesn't tell the whole story.

Cheers
DD
I've been a makeup artist before (more money in software lol) and currently work as a software engineer for a large manufacturing company that does a ton of stuff including nutritional supplements and cosmetics. The cost markup from raws to finished goods to wholesale is crazy.

I will say I love the company store! Paying 95-99% off retail is nice.