Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

On the Road Again

Search this Thread

Old 05-09-2011, 07:28 PM
Received 26 Likes on 23 Posts
Default On the Road Again

I can almost hear Wille Nelson there.

Wife, dog and I left Barrie at 1030AM. Excellent so far but she threw a new code on two occassions. 1229, throttle sensor. Each was after a good long run on the freeway, then slowing down. The pedal position sensor codes that I had last week, I solved with backing off the tension on the throttle cable.
Some will recall that many of us tightened them up to reduce cable slack and improve throttle performance. Guess I improved mine to where it wouldn't work.
Now on a hunch, I guessed that it was still too tight. Perhaps with the extra heat in the engine bay some effect was occurring. I turned it out one more turn and have not yet had another code.
Tonight in Mercer PA and we're on the way in the AM.
BTW,It's getting over 30 mpg \imperial.

Old 05-09-2011, 07:51 PM
Veteran Member
Received 1,259 Likes on 564 Posts

ROAD TRIP! I love road trips. Where are we going?

Old 05-09-2011, 08:00 PM

We is going to Corpus Christi, or something like that where it's very warm with palm trees. We will attempt to avoid flooded cities or toronado prone areas, at least while they are in progress.

Old 05-09-2011, 08:38 PM
Veteran Member
Received 9,005 Likes on 4,113 Posts

Name:  car01.jpg
Views: 34
Size:  19.3 KB

thanks for sharing RJag, and glad you seem to have it sorted. Hope you enjoy the road trip

btw - I was actually singing "on the road again" in my head as I clicked on your post....lol

Old 05-09-2011, 08:40 PM
Veteran Member

Wow... I think Ontario to Corpus Christi is probably about as long of a trip as my trip out west last summer. I don't think I can give you much tourist advice for that route, although if you're going near Memphis you should stop and spend the evening on Beale Street. It's kinda like Memphis's version of Bourbon Street in New Orleans (minus the women flashing their *****).

If you're going to be staying anywhere near Nashville I highly recommend the ******* Opryland Hotel. I know what you're thinking... "OPRYLAND???" Trust me on this one, the hotel is unlike anything you've ever seen. It has three enormous atriums inside. Each one of them is the size of a football field and planted like a tropical jungle. One of them even has a river flowing in a circle and you can take a boat ride on the indoor river. Here, just check this out: ******* Opryland Resort & Convention Center - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia

Downtown Louisville, Kentucky has a really cool indoor/outdoor nightlife/shopping scene. It's kinda hard to explain. They built a giant roof over one of the streets and it's all lit up at night. That would be a cool place to stop if it's on your route.

Old 05-09-2011, 09:23 PM
Received 17 Likes on 15 Posts

Is Opryland open again? Was severely damaged in last years floods...had 10 ft of water in it.

Old 05-10-2011, 04:10 AM
Veteran Member
Received 637 Likes on 439 Posts

Anything about Road Trips are cool including Road Trip II lol
Happy safe driving

Old 05-10-2011, 08:06 AM
Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts

If you get to Corpus Christi check out the Island Italian Resturant out on Padre Island. Kind of a wreck of a place with good food and a Italian Redneck Bar thing going on. Good service and live music. In our case a couple of Texas good ol' boys singing "waltz across Texas" and other Texas stuff. Great fun and a different experience for us Michigan fuddy duddy's.

Have a great time on your trip.

Old 05-10-2011, 09:12 AM
Received 13 Likes on 12 Posts

Also very high on your Corpus Christi 'must do' list should be the Texas State Aquarium and the USS LEXINGTON Museum On The Bay, a WWII aircraft carrier museum . Both are VERY COOL and worth your time. You can easily spend a half day on each, and they are within walking distance of one another.

John

Old 05-10-2011, 09:50 AM
Received 43 Likes on 35 Posts

+1 on USS Lexington museum, well worth the price of admission.

Corpus also has resident dolphin pods - I think you can take a short cruise. If you're up on the deck of the Lady Lex, you can usually see these dolphins either following small fishing trawlers or bow riding with them.

Are you going on I-35 passing through Austin then I-37 down to Corpus? If yes - you might want to take a detour around Texas Hill Country. Fredericksburg/Kerrville area is nice, lots of country roads with enough twisties and low traffic count on weekdays but yet enough straightaways to 'stretch' the Jag legs.

If you're going US59 through Houston - I would recommend a slight detour to I-10 to a town called Schulenburg. There are a set of old churches around the area established by Eastern Europeans immigrants that have interior decorations that are as ornate as any cathedrals.

I did a lot of short road trips around Central and South Texas in general. PM me if you would like some recommendations.

Old 05-11-2011, 06:37 PM

Thanks for the info and good wishes guys. The Lexington is on for sure and my wife loves Italian.

Had my too rich codes pop up today (P174 etc) so stopped and cleaned the maf again. Ran fine after that. I may need a new maf down the road (literally). Anyone know if it is readily available from one of the chain autoparts stores? Should be the same as for the 3.9 LS Lincoln???

Last night we got past the thunder storms and hail at Grayson Ky. I was ready to go out with a bed spread if it started to hail on the cat but didn't happen where we were.

Tonight we're in Whitehouse TN. About 90 degrees and a beautiful trip. Mostly took the 2 lane secondaries. Got the air on and I'm on my second Corona. Life is good!

Old 05-11-2011, 07:27 PM
Veteran Member

Originally Posted by RJag
Thanks for the info and good wishes guys. The Lexington is on for sure and my wife loves Italian.

Had my too rich codes pop up today (P174 etc) so stopped and cleaned the maf again. Ran fine after that. I may need a new maf down the road (literally). Anyone know if it is readily available from one of the chain autoparts stores? Should be the same as for the 3.9 LS Lincoln???

Last night we got past the thunder storms and hail at Grayson Ky. I was ready to go out with a bed spread if it started to hail on the cat but didn't happen where we were.

Tonight we're in Whitehouse TN. About 90 degrees and a beautiful trip. Mostly took the 2 lane secondaries. Got the air on and I'm on my second Corona. Life is good!
THAT'S the way to travel! I hate feeling rushed on the freeways and then getting caught in a traffic jam. My wife and I just love taking the back roads, driving by the old houses and farms, traveling like they did back in the Andy Griffith Show days (in a cooler, more comfortable car, of course).

Old 05-12-2011, 06:48 PM

We are in Jackson Mississippi! I'll mention that Toronto could take a page from their book on how to make a city beautiful via layout and space. Very nice.

Not a single code today. My oil has hardly turned brown at all and it's only down a fraction from full on my Nicklesil engine. That's after 2500 miles since the oil change. Mileage is a consistent 31 mpg Imp.

We hit 94f today and missed all the storms as we travelled south from Nashville. BTW, the Grand Ole Opry appears to be under a major reconstruction.

Tomorrow a quick tour of New Orleans then off along the Gulf coast.

Old 05-12-2011, 11:27 PM
Received 70 Likes on 62 Posts

From Ontario to Corpus? You're a braver man than me. There are closer beaches with warm weather. Do you know Corpus doesn't have any native trees taller than shoulder high due to past hurricanes? It should be a good bar scene, and Texas has especially good food of all kinds.

I got a $5 daily Hertz rental last week in Orlando and drove 8 days up the cost to D.C./Baltimore--then flew home for $49 on AirTran. I'm going to hate to see my Visa bill on this budget trip, as no travel is any longer inexpensive.

If you're going through Lake Charles at lunch or suppertime, checkout Catfish Cabin 4 miles north of Interstate 10. They have the most beautiful waitresses I've ever seen--no kidding. Rural Louisiana (outside of New Orleans) has some of the most gracious, nicest people I've ever experienced in 1 million miles traveling for work. I also like eating egg roll thingys stuffed with different sausages at the bakeries and donut shops around Lafayette.

And don't forget that the Chicken Fried Steak with white gravy is what you eat in Texas.

Old 05-13-2011, 12:08 AM
Received 43 Likes on 35 Posts

If you're in Houston area - Goodson's Cafe in Tomball is supposed to serve good chicken fried steak. And if you made it to Tomball - you owe it to yourself to drive a bit farther to Snook to visit Sodolak country kitchen and order the chicken-fried bacon with cream gravy.

I personally like the chicken-fried bacon more than chicken-fried steak, but the chicken-fried bacon felt more like a calorie bomb, so if you're health conscious (or have a heart condition), it may not be the best idea ......

Old 05-13-2011, 08:08 AM
Received 126 Likes on 110 Posts

Too many things to see and do, and too many great restaurants in New Orleans to even make suggestions.

You could spend days exploring the French Quarter. You could stumble into any restaurant and have great food, and into any bar and have great music and drinks.

You should do the tourist thing and check out Pat O'Briens and the music, jugglers and artists around Jackson Square. Right across the street, the Riverwalk will give you a view of the Mississippi River at flood stage, with the water level about 20 feet higher than the street on the other side of the levee. Pray that the levee does not break, and if it does, I hope that you are a great swimmer!

Old 05-13-2011, 10:03 AM
Received 19 Likes on 15 Posts

New Orleans is my home town, I've been gone for many years but get back on a regular basisto visit family. My daughter was there last week for the Jazz Fest. Many great places to eat and listen to good music. I just checked a list of southern Lousiana festivals ( http://www.cajunradio.org/louisianafestivals.html ), the only one this week is the "Cochon de lait" in Mansura, La. Mansura is mid state Northwest of the Morganza spillway. Keep watching the news because your route to Texas may get flooded when they open the spillway.
Have a great time.

Old 05-13-2011, 11:19 AM
Received 36 Likes on 21 Posts

I fly to Nashville from time to time (KBNA) and my information is that Opryland Hotel is open for biz and all cleaned up from last year's floods. We (airline crews) used to stay at a (DoubleTree?Radisson?) right next door and used to walk over and enjoy the Opryland Hotel many times.

Old 05-13-2011, 11:24 AM
Received 36 Likes on 21 Posts

sorry - missed one of the thread reads... guess my info was incomplete and there is still cleanup going on at the Opryland, according to RJag.

Old 05-13-2011, 07:18 PM

Well, we did New Orleans in the pouring rain. Looks in great shape considering what she has gone through. We did stop in Morgan City after the sunshine came out. Felt kind of erie like being in front of the target on the rifle range. Water is just now flooding the docks. Going to be sad if they have to flood it. Lots of nice homes and quiet little streets.

Through another rich code today and had to clean the maf again. Anybody know if it is replaceable by the LS Lincoln sensor? Anybody?????

Other than that, the car is running great. Staying in Lake Charles La tonight.

Quick Reply: On the Road Again