XK8 / XKR ( X100 ) 1996 - 2006
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

S type or xk8?

Search this Thread

Old 03-12-2016, 12:05 PM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default S type or xk8?

The more I drive my 02 x type, the more I feel like it's going to be a nightmare one day, it hasn't given me any problems yet, but I'm nervous about how it will do after I hit 100k miles on it. So before I go to college I want to trade up. I've been looking at old XK8's and old S-types, both at about the 2002 and older range. I've heard good things about the reliability of both, especially the Xk8. I'm planning on working 12 hour days at my job all summer 6 days a week to come up with the money, but before I get too crazy I would like to hear the forum's opinion on which car is the better deal and will treat me better with repairs.
I can fix most problems provided I have tools to do so, so minimal things like Oxygen sensors aren't much of a problem. I'm looking at something like the x-types transfer case, problems of that magnitude.

Old 03-12-2016, 12:26 PM
Veteran Member
Received 364 Likes on 327 Posts

You really need to just starting reading through this XK8 forum. That is your best tool (for you at the stage you are at) to "study" up on these 97-2006 Xk8's.
Most seem to agree that the 2003-2006 are the better cars, most of the bugs worked out of the cars.
The Xk8 can be a fine car but an unmaintained one is a Rabbit hole you don't want to deal with. So you want to buy one with documented maint history.
Pre 2003 have the timing chain issues been addressed (HUGE that you know this and that they are fixed).
Less miles on an XK8 DOES NOT EQUAL less issues. All these cars have bin around for many moons now. The front end suspension bushings are at the end of their life cycle.
97-98 model years have ECM issues that when it goes south the car starts throwing all types of **** (codes, warning lights) at you because the ECM computer stuff in it has went bad and you will need to have it fixed (this happened to me on my 1997 I owned)
The cooling system on these, many cars running around out there now are still on the orig parts and they WILL start leaking, specially if the car has been sitting around more then not then the next owner comes and starts driving it a lot, the leaks come, WP, hoses, which this car has MANY PITA hoses that are hard to get to and if you can't or not willing to do the work yourself will pay through the **** to have fixed for you.
I don't know your money situation, but if you are headed to college and you want own a 97-2006 xk8, huum, may not be a good car to buy right now and expect HONDA like reliability. If you are already afraid of the Xtype you have, then wait till after school to get another Jag. Sorry to be a dad about it. But school first, ha ha ha
The Xk8 car is a great car to own, you will get looks all day long when you drive it. It is great machine, but it is one that is like a hot looking chick, MANY of them are high maint. ha ha ha

The following users liked this post:
Johnken (03-13-2016)
Old 03-12-2016, 12:57 PM

Originally Posted by brgjag
You really need to just starting reading through this XK8 forum. That is your best tool (for you at the stage you are at) to "study" up on these 97-2006 Xk8's.
Most seem to agree that the 2003-2006 are the better cars, most of the bugs worked out of the cars.
The Xk8 can be a fine car but an unmaintained one is a Rabbit hole you don't want to deal with. So you want to buy one with documented maint history.
Pre 2003 have the timing chain issues been addressed (HUGE that you know this and that they are fixed).
Less miles on an XK8 DOES NOT EQUAL less issues. All these cars have bin around for many moons now. The front end suspension bushings are at the end of their life cycle.
97-98 model years have ECM issues that when it goes south the car starts throwing all types of **** (codes, warning lights) at you because the ECM computer stuff in it has went bad and you will need to have it fixed (this happened to me on my 1997 I owned)
The cooling system on these, many cars running around out there now are still on the orig parts and they WILL start leaking, specially if the car has been sitting around more then not then the next owner comes and starts driving it a lot, the leaks come, WP, hoses, which this car has MANY PITA hoses that are hard to get to and if you can't or not willing to do the work yourself will pay through the **** to have fixed for you.
I don't know your money situation, but if you are headed to college and you want own a 97-2006 xk8, huum, may not be a good car to buy right now and expect HONDA like reliability. If you are already afraid of the Xtype you have, then wait till after school to get another Jag. Sorry to be a dad about it. But school first, ha ha ha
The Xk8 car is a great car to own, you will get looks all day long when you drive it. It is great machine, but it is one that is like a hot looking chick, MANY of them are high maint. ha ha ha
So if I decide to go for an 03. How much should I be looking to pay for it? The xk's go for a lot more than the s types (worth the cost for basically a discount db7 though.)

Old 03-12-2016, 01:18 PM
GGG
Received 16,799 Likes on 12,168 Posts

You're 18 years old - there's life changes and years ahead when you're going to have to have a four door. For now it's got to be work hard, play hard and go for the XK8.

Graham

Old 03-12-2016, 02:32 PM
Veteran Member
Received 971 Likes on 770 Posts

You're a smart young man to consider getting rid of the X-Type soon. You'd be even smarter if you got rid of it right after reading this. Replacing a radiator, an oil pan gasket or front struts on an X-Type takes me on a fast path to a straight jacket in a padded room like a Veyron excels on the autobahn.
Seriously though, for your age and you absolutely must have a jag, I'd look at an 03' or newer S-Type V6. The 00'-02' have bad designed front ball joints and are a pain to replace. The 03'+ XK8's are nice but have their share of problems like you've done your homework on. Good luck!

Last edited by Addicted2boost; 03-12-2016 at 02:35 PM.
Old 03-12-2016, 03:01 PM
Veteran Member

Shame on you all. If he is afriad of his current Jag, hell it won't be any diff in an XK. ha ha ha Worry about school first man, you have a life time to get a XK.

Old 03-12-2016, 03:28 PM
Received 2,255 Likes on 1,840 Posts

Originally Posted by Xj220_
I'm planning on working 12 hour days at my job all summer 6 days a week to come up with the money,
Paying for the car is just the price of admission. Where will the money come from to keep it going?

Jags are very reliable, but they still cost twice as much to fix as mainstream cars when things do go wrong.

15+ year old cars are not noted to be in their prime.

Old 03-12-2016, 03:41 PM
Received 29 Likes on 28 Posts

I just got a 2003 XK8 as a second car. A 13 year old car should never be your primary car. That said, I had an MGA in college but at that time, it was a second car to my bicycle.

Old 03-12-2016, 03:44 PM
Received 6,253 Likes on 5,453 Posts

I'm torn over whether to recommend the XK8 as a better babe magnet or the S with a much more functional rear seat.

The following users liked this post:
Johnken (03-13-2016)
Old 03-12-2016, 03:47 PM
Received 29 Likes on 28 Posts

Sounds like a chicken or egg question.

Old 03-12-2016, 05:17 PM
Veteran Member
Received 375 Likes on 309 Posts

Originally Posted by Computer Budda
I just got a 2003 XK8 as a second car. A 13 year old car should never be your primary car. That said, I had an MGA in college but at that time, it was a second car to my bicycle.
This is very true. A 25 year old Miata can be a first car (if it doesn't snow, rain or get cold and you have a friend with a pick-up), but the level of complexity of a XK8 over a miata is about 5X... and more miata's were made in 1990 than the entire run of XK8's.

XK8's aren't something you can go down to autozone and buy a lot of parts for. They have great vendor support and lots of used parts are out there, but you can be down for a week for something simple, waiting for the part to show up.

The Key is controlled patience. Waiting for the right car and/or making the owner a reasonable offer, before someone snatches up a "deal".

Old 03-12-2016, 05:39 PM
Veteran Member
Received 600 Likes on 446 Posts

Just my 2 cents..

At the age of XK8's 10 to 20 years old and the complexity of the electronics and fickle electrical connectors these are best as very rewarding Hobby cars and not daily drivers. While many here will disagree and do use their's as daily drivers, some with in excess on 130K miles on them, maintenance is a must and can not be ignored.

A good 03 will run you anywhere from 10K to 14K, 04 to 06 cars at still getting above 15K in most cases if they are well maintained.

As long as you understand the car going in and can budget the money for maintenance you will have a blast in college driving an XK8, they are timeless and well respected by all ages and sexual preferences.

Old 03-12-2016, 06:10 PM
Veteran Member
Received 375 Likes on 309 Posts

Originally Posted by Xj220_
So if I decide to go for an 03. How much should I be looking to pay for it? The xk's go for a lot more than the s types (worth the cost for basically a discount db7 though.)
For a Nice '03 I would say around $10K. $2500 less than this for a '97.

My 84K mile '97 coupe was $4500, but needed about $1000 in maintenance, but now I have a GREAT car.

Read up on the issues/fixes and use these as bargaining chips when making a deal:

Torn lower ball joint boots, Take $200 off the price per torn boot (4 Max). Rear "clunk" on the test drive? Take another $300 off. Pop the caps off the Shock holes in the engine compartment... see Crumbled foam, that's another $200 off the price... Wheel bearing Howl that changes pitch when you change lanes? - $400 off... you get the idea.

Lastly, if you see any rust, walk away.

Old 03-13-2016, 09:47 PM

Originally Posted by Ungn
For a Nice '03 I would say around $10K. $2500 less than this for a '97.

My 84K mile '97 coupe was $4500, but needed about $1000 in maintenance, but now I have a GREAT car.

Read up on the issues/fixes and use these as bargaining chips when making a deal:

Torn lower ball joint boots, Take $200 off the price per torn boot (4 Max). Rear "clunk" on the test drive? Take another $300 off. Pop the caps off the Shock holes in the engine compartment... see Crumbled foam, that's another $200 off the price... Wheel bearing Howl that changes pitch when you change lanes? - $400 off... you get the idea.

Lastly, if you see any rust, walk away.
ive thought about an older xk8 if i could get one with low miles and a manual (the x type i have has a manual, i may drive manuals for the rest of my life tbh.) but at that point the car is older than i am. and this car will be a daily driver. i wont be driving any farther than 25 miles a day however, but it wont be a garage pet. how has your xk8 treated you with regards of repairs after you fixed the initial stuff? have you had anything unusual? i want to be sure about my decision to buy an xk8 before i do. i dont want to end up with a car like my a80 cabrio that was in the shop 6 times in 3 months until it finally just died.

Old 03-14-2016, 08:40 AM
Veteran Member

I would 2nd a Miata purchase. You can get a 1st Gen Miata (NA) in very good shape from about 5k with good miles. They don't have most of the bad suspension issues, easy to work on, and ****ing fun as hell to drive. Get a 1993 or older because the motor is a 1.8, prior to that they were 1.6 and in that car you can feel the diff. Find a M Edition, with the LSD and a few other things that the normal ones don't have. In most every article I have read with the subject being cars to collect, the firs gens are on that list. 1990-1997.

Last edited by brgjag; 03-14-2016 at 11:20 AM.
Old 03-14-2016, 09:46 AM
Veteran Member
Received 1,348 Likes on 725 Posts

I have an XK8 as a first and only car. Honestly, I don't recommend it as a first car. I have lucked out and have a reliable car which didn't cost me a dime when I got it. However, whenever something does go wrong, it costs me a pretty penny to fix whatever has gone wrong. The good looks, the smiles per gallon, the compliments, prestige, etc, are not worth the price of keeping these cars running with a college student's budget. It is possible to do it.

Old 03-14-2016, 11:21 AM
Veteran Member

For the cost of a decent Jag you can get a REALLY nice Miata.

Old 03-14-2016, 02:14 PM
Veteran Member
Received 600 Likes on 446 Posts

I also second the Miata, for 10K or so you can get a 06 or newer which is called the NC3 in Miata speak. Great car and rock solid on maintainance. I just sold my 06 with 50K miles in like new condition for $9300!

Not as rewarding in whow factor as the XK8 but a heck of a lot of fun and maintenance free.

An XK8 will always require some attention on a regular basis.

Old 03-14-2016, 02:42 PM
Veteran Member

The XK8 or most any older Jag just makes no sense in you are a college student that is not made of money.

Old 03-17-2016, 05:54 PM

Originally Posted by Jandreu
I also second the Miata, for 10K or so you can get a 06 or newer which is called the NC3 in Miata speak. Great car and rock solid on maintainance. I just sold my 06 with 50K miles in like new condition for $9300!

Not as rewarding in whow factor as the XK8 but a heck of a lot of fun and maintenance free.

An XK8 will always require some attention on a regular basis.
if i don't get an xk8 i may end up getting an old corvette, someone around me is selling an old stingray for a decent price. i'm really looking for a v8 2 door. i don't know i just like the sound of a v8 and the way it feels in all.
i'm not super into convertibles right now because when they're old they don't hold up well in the winter. they're great secondary cars but a DD convertible was a nightmare for me when i had my a80 cabrio.

i just really like grand tourers, the looks mixed with the feel is just my kind of thing. the miata to me isn't my kind of car

Quick Reply: S type or xk8?