XK8 / XKR ( X100 ) 1996 - 2006
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Satnav full circle

Search this Thread

Old 02-09-2017, 04:58 PM
Received 149 Likes on 88 Posts
Default Satnav full circle

There is no getting away from the fact that the OEM satnav in the X100 series is outdated with the 2002/3 disc being the last update so now 14 years old and of course no traffic alerts.
Like so many other forum members I have swapped out the unit for the "3 gauge" conversion and/or a modern GPS (I used the Garmin Nuvi 2569 with Garmin smart link from my iPhone) - for a while both options were OK but in the end I've gone back to the original satnav unit because it just "looks right" in a 2001 car and moreover the best/most useful GPS I have used (and I've used a fair few) is the TomTom Go app on my iPhone 6s which I keep on a Brodit mount specifically for the XKR/XK8 (rare item). The mapping and directions are first rate and the real time traffic is brilliant. It will even show up the 1 or 200 yard queues yard by yard and then clear the alert exactly as the car clears the jam - very impressive. Depending on traffic I have 3 or 4 different routes home from work so it's a real boon.
On long/new trips the OEM unit actually doesn't miss that many new roads and I Think it looks and sounds really nice so I use it with the TomTom on silent just for the traffic alerts.
I've also managed to find a second OEM map DVD so I've now got the original 2001 and two 2002/3 discs.
I use an OBD II UltraGauge mounted directly below the satnav screen to keep an eye on the "vitals" which looks pretty neat and unobtrusive which is the only visible nod to modernity.
Not saying this is the "right" way to go as always YMMV but after several seasons of dash swapping I'm back to where I started and content.
Steve

Old 02-09-2017, 08:14 PM
Veteran Member
Received 600 Likes on 446 Posts

Having removed my NAV in favor of the triple guage setup I've never looked back. Don't need any navigation on Maui and I think the triple guage setup, while just as useless as the NAV, just looks better, more sporty!

It's all just a matter of personal preference.

Old 02-10-2017, 01:38 AM

Originally Posted by Jandreu

Exactly right

Old 02-10-2017, 02:32 AM
Veteran Member
Received 460 Likes on 332 Posts

Originally Posted by worrasf
I've also managed to find a second OEM map DVD so I've now got the original 2001 and two 2002/3 discs.
Do any of your discs have Spain on them? My OEM unit stops at the French border...

Old 02-10-2017, 04:50 AM

Originally Posted by dibbit
Do any of your discs have Spain on them? My OEM unit stops at the French border...
Afraid not - UK and Ireland.
I'll keep a look out on ebay for you - I assume you have the same Alpine satnav as me in your XKR?
Steve

Old 02-10-2017, 08:44 AM
Veteran Member
Received 460 Likes on 332 Posts

Yes its an Alpine unit. The parts catalogue doesn't list a Spain disc until you get to the 2002 onwards cars - I didn't know if those model years were compatible with the 2001 Alpine.

Old 02-10-2017, 11:53 AM

Ihave asked the dealer I got my latest nav DVD from to look out for a Spanish one. I'll let you know if one comes along

Old 02-10-2017, 10:20 PM
Received 38 Likes on 31 Posts

Originally Posted by Jandreu
Having removed my NAV in favor of the triple guage setup I've never looked back. Don't need any navigation on Maui and I think the triple guage setup, while just as useless as the NAV, just looks better, more sporty!

My opinion as well.