XK8 / XKR ( X100 ) 1996 - 2006
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Seat module passenger side...no heat

Old 11-12-2017, 12:17 PM
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Default Seat module passenger side...no heat

Greetings all, from a very frequent reader, first time poster.

I have read other threads re: lack of heated seat function, and have removed the seat module for inspection. Previous posters have written that the wiring traces on the circuit board (particularly along the edges) have been degraded/broken from normal wear and tear within the case, thus causing the problem. There appear to be no visible problems on the circuit board, BUT, upon removing the module I noticed that the module wiring harness had only 2 connections. In the attached pic, there is a 26 pin connection in the center between the two other connections, yet no harness connection for it present under the seat. Driver's side appears to have this (going by feel because it's a bit of a pain in the a** to remove)...Sooo, is this my problem? All other seat functions work as designed.

On a side note, I can tell all of you that this forum has been an invaluable resource. I have previously owned a '00 x308 VDP, and currently own an '05 x350 VDP along with this XK8. Like many on this forum I prefer to do most work that isn't above my "pay grade", it's fun and saves buckets of money.

Thanks in advance for any insight. Hopefully I can return the favor!

Regards,
Windwhipped

Attached Thumbnails Seat module passenger side...no heat-img_0005.jpg  
Old 11-12-2017, 12:37 PM
Received 241 Likes on 146 Posts

There is a third plug in connector under the driver's seat which serves as the memory function. The passenger seat has no memory, therefore does not need the extra plug. They make the seat modules so they are interchangeable from driver's side to passenger's side, hence the reason for the empty plug in when it is on the passenger side.

To check to see if the module is at fault, first test the driver's side with the existing driver's module. If it works, pull the driver's module and plug it into the passenger seat. If the heater works, there is a fault with your passenger seat module. If instead the heater still doesn't work, you have a fault with the seat heater, wiring, or switch.

Most of the time the module fails. If the passenger module fails, first make sure a previous owner has not switched it for a different module. A common sign it has been switched is when everything works except the seat heater. (Older modules will work with your car, but the heater function will not carry over.) Just check the sticker on both of your seat modules to see if they match. If they do match, one of the traces inside is probably broken and can be mended or swapped out for a working module.

The following users liked this post:
windwhipped (11-12-2017)
Old 11-12-2017, 12:53 PM
GGG
Received 16,756 Likes on 12,145 Posts

Originally Posted by chillyphilly
..... To check to see if the module is at fault, first test the driver's side with the existing driver's module. If it works, pull the driver's module and plug it into the passenger seat. If the heater works, there is a fault with your passenger seat module. If instead the heater still doesn't work, you have a fault with the seat heater, wiring, or switch. .....
+1

Checking your other posts, you seem to be very unlucky with heating!

Graham

Old 11-12-2017, 01:15 PM

Chilly, thanks. Neglected to mention that the red indicator light in the switch does not illuminate. I assumed this was due to the circuit not being completed, and not necessarily indicative of a bad switch. You win the Forum Person of the Day. No prize, just psychic income.

Originally Posted by chillyphilly
There is a third plug in connector under the driver's seat which serves as the memory function. The passenger seat has no memory, therefore does not need the extra plug. They make the seat modules so they are interchangeable from driver's side to passenger's side, hence the reason for the empty plug in when it is on the passenger side.

To check to see if the module is at fault, first test the driver's side with the existing driver's module. If it works, pull the driver's module and plug it into the passenger seat. If the heater works, there is a fault with your passenger seat module. If instead the heater still doesn't work, you have a fault with the seat heater, wiring, or switch.

Most of the time the module fails. If the passenger module fails, first make sure a previous owner has not switched it for a different module. A common sign it has been switched is when everything works except the seat heater. (Older modules will work with your car, but the heater function will not carry over.) Just check the sticker on both of your seat modules to see if they match. If they do match, one of the traces inside is probably broken and can be mended or swapped out for a working module.

Old 11-12-2017, 01:21 PM

Graham, it must be the Jaguar gods telling me to move to FL...Between failed aux pumps, clogged heater cores and flapping foam in the blower motors we wouldn't have anything to complain about, heh.

Originally Posted by GGG
+1

Checking your other posts, you seem to be very unlucky with heating!

Graham