XK8 / XKR ( X100 ) 1996 - 2006
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Seat modules

Search this Thread

Old 09-18-2016, 07:42 AM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Seat modules

Sirs, here's my story. My 97 Xk8 conv with 12k bought new sits in storage for long periods. I hooked up battery tender but ground fault breaker tripped (nearby lighting strike?) and battery ended up stone dead. After replacing battery and numerous fuses neither of my seats work. Checked fuse for each seat, checked out good. Read threads that talk about circuit board issue but probably not problem. Seats worked before battery replaced. I'm going to try seat module out of 2000 Lincoln LS to see if it interchanges . For now that's all I'm left to try. I saw a thread somewhere that had instructions on testing module in car to see if it had power. Any help out there for a lost soul? Thanks

Old 09-21-2016, 05:22 PM
Veteran Member
Received 2,291 Likes on 1,503 Posts

Poppop,
You don't specify which fuses you have replaced: perhaps you can confirm.

Be aware that each seat switch pack and control module is fed by a separate fuse, i.e. four in total. These are contained in the fuse boxes at each end of the dash, and are numbered the same on each side as follows (from JTIS):

Fuse #1 (20A) feeds the seat module
Fuse #8 (5A) feeds the switch pack

Check all of those and report back. I presume that you're not having any other issues?

HTH,

Mike

The following users liked this post:
poppop (09-21-2016)
Old 09-21-2016, 07:35 PM
Default both seats quit

Thanks for the reply. I have checked and double checked #1 fuse in both ends of dash . I will recheck 5 amp. Since replacing completely drained battery I have replaced radio head fuse, amp fuse, and fuse that powers J-lock shifter.

Old 09-21-2016, 07:47 PM
Default seats quit

The fuse that powered the shifter checked out good on both sides with test lite but after removing it had a good bit of oxidation which prevented contact with fuse holder.

Old 09-22-2016, 07:32 AM
Veteran Member
Default all good?

So are you good to go or still have problems?

Old 09-22-2016, 07:52 AM
Default SEATS

I will know tonight. Thanks again

Old 09-22-2016, 06:28 PM
Default seats no work

michaelh, Sorry to report that both driver and pass 5amp fuses were ok. I did try the memory function to see perhaps the problem was related to memory module . Steering column moves but no seat movement. Thanks.

Old 09-22-2016, 07:57 PM
Veteran Member

Ah well, the upside is that you've started the process of elimination.

Unless you definitely have no clicks or whirs on either side, then do check out this thread if you haven't already:
https://www.jaguarforums.com/forum/x...2/#post1537036

It's tempting to believe this is a single fault, but I recommend that you treat as two separate (albeit apparently identical) issues. There isn't much that's common to both sides other than power (and that would cause other problems) and the SCP network.

The steering column but not the seats responding to the memory function appears to rule out the switch packs, so we're heading towards the seat connectors/modules/motors. Unfortunately if both seats are completely dead then swopping seat modules is unlikely to prove anything.

Next step is to do some checking around the seat module connectors.Try unplugging and re-seating them.

If you still have no joy, then check for power at the appropriate connector pins.
From there, I'd confirm seat motor operation (with the module disconnected) unless you can beg borrow or steal a known good module to substitute.

Keep on with the simple steps first. It does seem odd that both seats have gone bad together, but don't assume...
I'll take another look at the schema tomorrow (it's way past my bedtime here, and - trust me - I need my beauty sleep ) to check I haven't missed anything common to both.

Out of curiosity, if you have power fold-back mirrors, is this function working?

Mike

Last edited by michaelh; 09-22-2016 at 08:03 PM.
Old 09-23-2016, 05:29 AM
Default seats no work

Mike , you must have been a pilot! "no joy" Haven't heard that term since my air traffic controller days. I'm leaning on the notion that whatever electrical event happened that blew the ground fault breaker powering my battery tender had a negative effect on my seats. Hoping the beauty sleep worked well.