XK8 / XKR ( X100 ) 1996 - 2006
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Security system problems

Search this Thread

Old 08-29-2011, 03:40 PM
Received 53 Likes on 28 Posts
Default Security system problems

I am having a problem with my XK8 and I have not been able to find anything about it. Someone will proabily point to a link that will answer all my questions that would be great.

A few weeks ago, my alarm started going off. At first I thought that it was just one of those things, but it started happening more often. What I found is that when I set the alarm, it goes off about 11 minutes later. I checked the battery and did a hard reset with no change. 2 weeks ago I changed the horn with a brand X unit that fit with no problems and added whiteXKR's top controller, I am not sure if this problem started before of after I changes the horn or added the controller. However, I disconnect the horn, still went off 11 minutes later. Pulled out the top controller by opening the box and unplugging the connector same thing. Rechecked all the wiring I installed with the top controller and all looked good. I am pretty well convinced that that is not the problem. It works fine when it is hooked up. Everything seems to work in the car with no problems until I set the alarm. I have turned off the headlight auto setting with no change to the problem. Any help you guys could give me on this problem would be great. I would like to know if I can disarm the alarm system while locking the doors. Maybe a fuse? What does the system monitor? I really can’t find anything on it. I got a feeling that something is draining a capacitor and setting of the alarm, but I have no idea where it is.
Thanks

One other question: while look at the list of fuses, I saw that fuse #21 in the luggage compartment is for the "Stoneworker lights", both the right and left side. What are Stoneworker lights?

Old 08-29-2011, 06:09 PM
Received 21 Likes on 15 Posts

Drivers side fusebox :fuse 9 is a 10A for security sounder

Stoneworker lights i reckon they are the illuminated markers on the bumpers.

Old 08-29-2011, 09:08 PM
Veteran member
Received 1,144 Likes on 750 Posts

I think the security monitors door latches, boot and hood latches. I THOUGHT the security system monitored voltage drops also...like my glove box light, but it sadly does not. I tested by putting my top down, locked the car, opened my glove box from the outside and .... nothing! Now, i lock my glove box if the car is open to the public.

Old 08-30-2011, 03:11 PM
Received 191 Likes on 134 Posts

I really don't know anything about the alarm system other than what I read in the manual, however, I was reading another thread https://www.jaguarforums.com/forum/x...-needed-60014/
and I saw a tech advisory posted by motorcarman (which he posted for the seat modules for that thread), but that tech advisory has several different sections for various issues, including this:
Models: S TYPE 2003 MY Onwards
Symptom: High Quiescent Draw
Information: If you are experiencing a high quiescent draw, or the vehicles alarm is going off by itself at about the 45-minute mark, first make sure the battery is fully charged. Then please check the voltage to the RECM at the CA101-3 pin, and make sure its voltage is the same as the battery voltage. If it is not, then check the resistance at connector FH1-1, if this pin has plastic flashing causing poor resistance, the timing circuit for the modules to sleep will be hindered, and if the alarm is active, the GECM will notice a voltage drop across the RECM and will signal the alarm to go off.

Now, I know it is for a different model Jaguar, and it is 45 mins rather than your 11 mins, but, maybe there is some similarity or sharing of some components, and maybe this is related, maybe not. I just thought I would point out to coincidence at least. Maybe someone who has the schematics for your car could review this and determine where you could check voltage readings for the same signal, albeit, on a different connector/pin. Just maybe.

Last edited by SteveJacks; 08-30-2011 at 03:15 PM.
The following users liked this post:
Glenn Barickman (08-31-2011)
Old 08-31-2011, 02:13 PM
Received 969 Likes on 642 Posts

Originally Posted by Glenn Barickman
I am having a problem with my XK8 and I have not been able to find anything about it. Someone will proabily point to a link that will answer all my questions that would be great.

A few weeks ago, my alarm started going off. At first I thought that it was just one of those things, but it started happening more often. What I found is that when I set the alarm, it goes off about 11 minutes later. I checked the battery and did a hard reset with no change. 2 weeks ago I changed the horn with a brand X unit that fit with no problems and added whiteXKR's top controller, I am not sure if this problem started before of after I changes the horn or added the controller. However, I disconnect the horn, still went off 11 minutes later. Pulled out the top controller by opening the box and unplugging the connector same thing. Rechecked all the wiring I installed with the top controller and all looked good. I am pretty well convinced that that is not the problem. It works fine when it is hooked up. Everything seems to work in the car with no problems until I set the alarm. I have turned off the headlight auto setting with no change to the problem. Any help you guys could give me on this problem would be great. I would like to know if I can disarm the alarm system while locking the doors. Maybe a fuse? What does the system monitor? I really can’t find anything on it. I got a feeling that something is draining a capacitor and setting of the alarm, but I have no idea where it is.
Thanks

One other question: while look at the list of fuses, I saw that fuse #21 in the luggage compartment is for the "Stoneworker lights", both the right and left side. What are Stoneworker lights?
Well most likely you have a microswitch problem on one of the latches. Take it to someone with the Jaguar WDS/IDS/SDD equipment and they can look up what they call the "Last Alarm Data". That will show what the last eight or ten security alarm activations were caused by; bonnet, door, boot or panic activation. That should solve that mystery.

The stoneworker lights are the side light and rear light that are required to be turned on when parked overnight on major streets in some countries, the UK being one of them. They are usually not required on residential streets, but are needed on other more heavily traveled streets.

Cheers,

The following users liked this post:
Glenn Barickman (09-01-2011)