Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

SeismicGuy finally test drives--a question or two

Search this Thread

Old 10-28-2007, 11:42 PM
Veteran Member
Received 537 Likes on 400 Posts
Default SeismicGuy finally test drives--a question or two

For those following the "saga", I finally dragged the wifey to see a nice looking 2003 XKR at a local lot (not a Jag lot). The car is less than 20,000 miles and I suspect it had not been driven for the last year or two. The local lot is next to a Jag dealer and the sales guy said that they would have the dealer do some servicing. I asked what was needed and the sales guy said a few things including flushing the oil--this is what makes me think the car has been sitting undriven for a while.

Anyway, I drove the car for a few miles including a short hop on and off the freeway. It seemed to drive well except for a recurring sound that happened the couple of times I put my foot into it while the car was cruising along. It sounded a bit like a short rubber-against-rubber sound, somewhat like a low "dog-bark" coming from under the car. NO--I did not run over a dog but that is the closest description. My wife immediately heard it the first time I pushed the pedal hard and I was able to make it happen repeatedly whenever cruising and "kicking" it a bit. I mentioned this to the sales guy and he said if I wanted the car this would be one of the things that they would have the Jag dealer look at.

For you experts out there, does this decription of the noise suggest anything particular?

Thanks,

Doug

Old 10-29-2007, 01:46 AM
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Default RE: SeismicGuy finally test drives--a question or two

just a guess (from your disc.) maybe tranny mount or engine mount, some sort of bushing, or it could be something as simple as a loose belt. I don't think I would buy a car that has been sitting for awile without knowing the owner and even then I would get it inspected, just to know what I was getting myself into.

Old 10-29-2007, 11:32 AM
Veteran Member

My plan would be to get the car checked out but I was aware that the concern number one with these cars was timing chain tensioners. I understood that a tell-tale sign of problem was rattling noise upon starting the engine. The car I was driving had no unusual sounds upon starting and was generally quiet and smooth as silk while driving. I just wanted some insight as to whether the low "bark" on hard throttle could be tensioner chain (I suspect not as it sounded like it was coming from the drivetrain rather than the engine).

Doug

Old 10-29-2007, 11:39 AM
Veteran Member
Received 21 Likes on 20 Posts

Was there any vibration or bump associated with the noise? I may be the rubber flex disc at the tail end of the drivershaft. These will eventually split over time. Check that for cracks. I believe by '03 you are safe on the timing chain issues. You may want to check with the dealer, but I believe those had the metal tensioners.

Old 10-29-2007, 12:03 PM
Veteran Member

I talked with my service manager acquaintance at a local Jag dealer and described the noise to him. Without hesitiation, he indicated that this was a very well know issue that all Jag dealers know about--the automatic transmission. He duplicated the noise exactly on the phone and even pinpointed the location where it sounds like it is coming from (right rear). He said the "problem" is no big deal and easy to resolve--replace the transmission fluid and/or add an additive that addresses the noise.

I seem to recall reading about the trans "bark" somewhere while researching Jags but I forgot where.

Doug

Old 10-29-2007, 10:48 PM
Veteran member
Received 1,144 Likes on 750 Posts

So Doug, is the Mrs. warming up to the jag yet? test drpve a convertible...right?

Old 10-30-2007, 12:11 PM
Veteran Member
Received 44 Likes on 14 Posts

Yeah man, you're leaving the most important part out. What did the wife think?

Old 10-30-2007, 01:27 PM
Veteran Member

bigdreams05/h20boy/and anyone else interested:

The last few weeks have been like a bad sitcom or melodrama. It started several weeks ago when I stumbled on a 2003 XKR with fairly low miles from a local private party. I discretely left an advertisement for the car lying around and when my wife noticed the ad she gave me the ever-popular "are you nuts looking at used cars" argument, but we were actually able to have a semi-calm discussion after that.[sm=chattypair.gif]

I looked at the car on my own and it was my favorite color (white with tan interior) and was well-kept. I tried to follow-up and bring my wife to see it--she begrudgingly agreed but it never happened since we were leaving on vacation the next day and had no time. When we returned, the car was sold.

Now would be an excellent time for those following along to take a bathroom or refreshment break[sm=icon_blah.gif]

OKAY--break over.

So the other day I found another 2003 XKR at a nearby non-Jag dealer--also pretty low miles. I went to see the car on Saturday and it looked nice. My car (95 Vette) needs a smog check so it gave my wife the opportunity on Sunday to do her usual "dump" on the car ("when are you going to get rid of that piece of junk"). Actually, the car is in primo condition and gets compliments from everyone (except the wife of course). Anyway, this opened up the opportunity for me to mention the Jag I had seen which kicked off another argument, but I was able to make a bit of headway. I succeeded in dragging her to the dealer to look at the car and the dealer gave me the keys to take a spin with the wife.

Now the fun begins (anyone need another break?). She is trying her best to look bored and unimpressed, even when I take out the window sticker that is in the glove compartment and show here the $95k sticker price. The dealer asked me to stop for gas while I was test driving (he gave me $20) and we got plenty of looks driving around the streets and at the gas station. All the time the wife was trying to look blase and bored. The only real "reaction" was when the noise (described in a previous post) occurred--"what's that!"

The fact that it is a convertible is an added negative for her ("what do you need a convertible for") but I pointed out that it is so nicely finished inside and quiet, you don't even realize you are in a convertible. Nevertheless, when we returned to the dealer, I had him put the top down (he used the key from outside the car which impressed me--the wife yawned). So I finally asked her straight out--didn't she think it was a fantastic car? Her answer was that "I guess we have different tastes".

I fully believe that most of this performance on her part was a forced act and I am inclined to notify the Academy to present her an award for best portrayal of boredom while looking at what must be one of the most desireable 50 or so cars.

She keeps insisting that there must be some new car in the price range I am looking at that I would like. Well, the car that comes closest (and was my first choice prior to looking at used Jags) is the new G37 Infiniti. Since we were down the street from an Infiniti dealer, I placated her by agreeing to take a test drive. Admittedly, this is a fine car and quite impressive but, to be honest, I felt like I was driving a car that was better suited to my 30-year old son. It is a borderline "ricer" with a pretty loud exhaust and a much much raunchier ride than the XKR. Moreover, the out-the-door price for decent options would end up about $47k while I am figuring $40k max for the Jags I am looking at.

One thing that I suspect would help my plight would be some third parties (friends, acquaintances, etc) to tell my wife how fantastic the Jag would be. I hate to generalize but I think that women will listen to others opinions rather than accepting their spouse's opinion (no flames from the women please).

We'll see how this saga plays out in upcoming episodes.[sm=helpout.gif]

Doug

Old 10-30-2007, 02:18 PM
Veteran member

don't know about bigdreams, but I am beginning to like this drama...full of suspsense and intrigue! Let's hope it doesn't get cancelled before the big finally. [sm=insomnia.gif]

My guess is she's not giving you any indication that she might be wrong. Believe it or not, alot of women are not used to saying 'you're right'.[sm=smiley35.gif]

Old 10-30-2007, 02:56 PM
Veteran Member

Seismic, that was so well written and livid, that I think you need a Nobel Prize in Literature. I could just picture her in my head trying so hard to keep the excitement down in her intestine, but truly wishing that she could portray her excitement and passion. You truly got me thinking, and you're completely correct; women have a hard time admitting they were wrong. I have one question for you though, did you let HER drive the car? I think that the "gas" ploy was ingenious and very clever on the dealers' part. I'm sure you gladly accepted. Ask her what's her taste and take her to see a coupe as well. I promise you won't be disappointed. I think the coupe looks so much sleeker and sporty, but that's just my "20 year olds'" opinion. You're making progress though pal, since you got her in the test drive.

Old 10-30-2007, 02:57 PM
Veteran Member

ORIGINAL: h20boy

don't know about bigdreams, but I am beginning to like this drama...full of suspsense and intrigue! Let's hope it doesn't get cancelled before the big finally. [sm=insomnia.gif]

My guess is she's not giving you any indication that she might be wrong. Believe it or not, alot of women are not used to saying 'you're right'.[sm=smiley35.gif]
Believe me, after knowing her for 41 years (37 of which has been in marriage), I know exactly what she will and what she won't say. One of my points has been to try and lead her to see that there are plenty of signficant things (aging parents, planning for retirement, son finally in a serious relationship, etc.) that warrant thinking about. The car I decide to buy should not even be on the list of things to be concerned about--not exactly a monumental life-changing decision!

Doug

Old 10-30-2007, 07:58 PM
Received 7 Likes on 6 Posts

Tell her that if you ever get a divorce, she will get the car.

It will be in your driveway by the end of the week.

Old 10-30-2007, 09:24 PM
Veteran Member
Received 9,005 Likes on 4,113 Posts

Name:  cars.jpg
Views: 27
Size:  7.4 KB

Seismic........man what a nice write up
Jeez I really hope you get your Jag and become a more frequent visitor for your stories if nuthin else....lol
Biggies right though.....you didn't let her drive the Jag???[sm=WTFsgign.gif][sm=wtf.gif][sm=WTFsgign.gif]
That was a major[sm=oopssign.gif]on your part mate.

Here's what you do:-
Get her to dress up real nice lookin her best and take her back to the dealers and ask for another test drive. This time, for gods sake let her drive the car.
Stopping for gas would be good and a slow trawl through town would work wonders too. Give her the opportunity to feel how special she will feel when she gets the admiring looks that say "WOW"
She will of course feel special and attaractive / desireable and immediately want more of the same.

When I took my wife out in the X she drove and exactly the same scenario happened......trust me on this and go for it

Push it real hard and to the limit on this.
Any comments like " Its the car or me" from the wife should be met with the reply " But where will you live and how will you manage on your own?" or sumthing equally to the point...lol

We eagerly await the results and details of when you expect to take delivery after your test drive

Jim

Old 10-30-2007, 10:55 PM
Veteran Member

Thanks for all the support but when it comes to the car thing it is one step forward and two steps back at best. Regarding her driving, I kept insisting that she drive the car and she deferred. Tonight she complained about my needing to spend $400 in needed servicing on the Vette so I took the opportunity to let her know I was ready to make an offer on "the car". She played dumb ("what car are you talking about") and when I mentioned the Jag I got the standard "are you nuts" response. So I finally sucked it up unloaded and "damn the torpedoes". What it seems to boil down to is she is fine with me spending up to $50k on a new car but not $35k or more on a used car that is 5 years old. To me, the subject vehicle is low mileage and in excellent condition so it is neither a new car nor a used car but just a car that is likely to be reliable--who gives a rat's *** how old it is? But she has something about not being willing to take a loan for a used car.

I see three options: (1) I can continue to try and convince her to disregard the year and concentrate on the odometer and the condition (2) I can look at older models and/or XK8--there are plenty of these around for $25k or less where I can pay cash and NO loan or (3) I can say f**k it I am keeping my Vette that I have been perfectly happy with and will still be happy keeping another several years.

Number 3 is where this all started about a year ago with her relentless insistence that I get rid of the Vette. After a year of sporadic arguments, I finally agreed once I found the car that would make me happy (Jag). So I told her that she now blew it--the Vette stays and NO MORE CAR TALK. Or maybe I should get whatever XK I find in the $25k range and be half-happy.

To be continued--or not.

Doug

Old 10-31-2007, 10:11 AM
Veteran Member

Wow Seismic, sounds like your stuck in a pickle. (or the pickle is stuck somewhere else[>:]) I would definitely go the route that would make her happiest in the end, but if you've been doing nothing but pleasing her for 41 years, maybe you can use that as your convincing grounds. As a man(yes I said it)...as a MAN!!!!, you don't mess with our cars. My wife doesn't interfere with my cars, and I don't interfere with her clothes/ magazines/ fashion/ whatever she's in to/ etc. Point that out to her, that you don't mess with her stuff and she shouldn't mess with the one part your passionate about...cars. This only works though if you don't mess with her stuff, because if you do, then you can't blame her for her recent role in your car choosing decision. Either way Seismic, good luck and I'm sure you're far wiser than I and you've already thought all of this up, but sometimes a reminder is helpful.

Old 10-31-2007, 11:25 AM
Veteran Member

ORIGINAL: bigdreams05

Wow Seismic, sounds like your stuck in a pickle. (or the pickle is stuck somewhere else[>:]) I would definitely go the route that would make her happiest in the end, but if you've been doing nothing but pleasing her for 41 years, maybe you can use that as your convincing grounds. As a man(yes I said it)...as a MAN!!!!, you don't mess with our cars. My wife doesn't interfere with my cars, and I don't interfere with her clothes/ magazines/ fashion/ whatever she's in to/ etc. Point that out to her, that you don't mess with her stuff and she shouldn't mess with the one part your passionate about...cars. This only works though if you don't mess with her stuff, because if you do, then you can't blame her for her recent role in your car choosing decision. Either way Seismic, good luck and I'm sure you're far wiser than I and you've already thought all of this up, but sometimes a reminder is helpful.
Your philosophy is EXACTLY what I agree with and have always followed over the years. She gets what she wants (although she is a very practical person so does not go overboard). I consider myself to be a good husband--dont'drink, don't smoke, don't gamble, don't womanize, etc. My only "nutty" quirk is that I get attached to the cars I have owned and never have a desire to replace one without finding something I like better. It is her practicality that stands in the way of her accepting spending what looks like a considerable sum of money on a used car. From a purely rational and cold point of view, she is probably correct. However, car ownership (especially with me and I suspect many men) is 90% emotion and just visceral fun and maybe 10% practicality. A highly practical person like my wife cannot accept--especially after I committed the cardinal sin 12 years ago of coming home with the Vette sans her approval.

Ironically, for the time being I seem to have ended up where I started--"I love the Vette, its costing us nothing, leave me alone" and she blew her chance for me to get rid of the car she hates. Go figure!

Doug

Old 10-31-2007, 12:06 PM
Max
Received 11 Likes on 11 Posts

I committed the cardinal sin 12 years ago of coming home with the Vette sans her approval.
If you live to be 100 your wife, as with most wives, "MAY" possibly forgive but will "NEVER" forget that sin, no matter what you do.

Old 10-31-2007, 01:22 PM
Veteran Member

ORIGINAL: Max

I committed the cardinal sin 12 years ago of coming home with the Vette sans her approval.
If you live to be 100 your wife, as with most wives, "MAY" possibly forgive but will "NEVER" forget that sin, no matter what you do.

To quote Nicolas Cage addressing Sarah Jessica Parker in Honeymoon in Vegas--"Hey, I know that now"

Doug

Old 10-31-2007, 01:34 PM
Max
Received 11 Likes on 11 Posts

Advise your sons and single male friends.

Old 02-22-2008, 05:22 PM
Veteran member

looking for an update seismicguy...

Quick Reply: SeismicGuy finally test drives--a question or two