XK8 / XKR ( X100 ) 1996 - 2006
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Silverstone owners

Search this Thread

Old 04-03-2011, 03:48 PM
Received 7 Likes on 7 Posts
Default Silverstone Values?

I was wondering how many fellow Silverstone owners are also members of this fantastic forum?

I know there were only 50 coupes and 50 convertibles for the UK market in 2000 and another 200 convertibles for the US in 2001. Forgot how many world wide were produced...

How rare is it considered, other than being an XKR??
Does it fit into the 'exotic class'?

Last edited by silverstone; 04-06-2011 at 10:59 PM.
The following users liked this post:
TodinWinterParkFL (11-20-2023)
Old 04-04-2011, 04:21 AM
Received 19 Likes on 8 Posts

well seems like we are at leas two
BTW: Registre International des XKR Silverstone

Old 04-04-2011, 11:25 AM

I know 'Doug' on this forum is also an owner, was wondering if there were more of us.

Yes, I am familiar with the silverstone registry, i've also registered mine with them as well!!

Is yours RHD or LHD, coupe or convertible and is it a 2000 model or a 2001 like mine?

Old 04-04-2011, 01:37 PM
Veteran Member
Received 200 Likes on 176 Posts

Silverstone & Shl1980
There was 232 Silverstones produced for the US Market 22 for the Canadian Market. Originally they were only going to produce 100 for the British Market these car besides being right hand drive have a solid seat without a headrest. These cars are British specs. and considered the first generation of Silverstones. When they released them for sale in the United States they went to favored Jaguar Customers, and were selling for a premium price if you could purchase one. The main difference was this was the first XK series to be outfitted with the beefed up suspension and 20" wheels and Brembos Brakes. Right now only around 45 cars are registered on the registry world wide out of 558. I know of two that were totaled out, and a Japanese one in California they are parting out. I was fortunate to buy mine from the original Dallas dealer as a one owner (He traded in at the original dealer for a new XK) The original owner already had it on the registry before me. He also addressed all of the major concerns. Mines a convertible there's only 31 coupes in the States. There was a posting about six months ago about the term exotic. I hardly ever see a XK8 or R in my area so I consider it exotic. I've seen four or five in the last two years.
Doug
XKR Silverstone

Old 04-05-2011, 03:45 AM
Received 19 Likes on 8 Posts

Hi guys,

mine is coupe, LHD from 2001 (i.e. the second series). Just do not count it as US car, the car is registered in Czech Rep.

Old 04-05-2011, 09:56 AM
Veteran Member

Also I think there is another Silverstone owner in Chicago that's a member.
Doug
2001 XKR Silverstone

Old 04-06-2011, 10:15 PM
Received 108 Likes on 78 Posts

I SAW one in Winter Park Florida at the All English Cars Car Show here last week. First one I've ever seen...it was a MY01. Didn't meet the guy but he had a Fla tag.

Old 04-06-2011, 10:35 PM

One of the reasons I was asking this question is because of the big discrepancies in pricing using the two sources I know of for used car values.

Kelly Blue Book values a 2001 XKR Convertible with 40k miles and all the options at $21,625. BUT, if you plug in the Silverstone option, the value goes to $40,315!!!

NADA values the same XKR at $20,800 and has no option for the Silverstone edition...

Both are considering the 20" BBS rims.
I know all of the above valuations are 'suggested retail values' and are not really indicative of what their current market values are.

The question is, what, if any, is the additional value of owning a 'Silverstone' over an XKR???

I'd be very interested in Non-Silverstone owners opinions!!

Reverend Sam -- Your 'twin' you found was a clone!!!

Last edited by silverstone; 04-06-2011 at 10:41 PM.
Old 04-07-2011, 10:39 AM
Veteran Member

I don't know about the current values There is one on Auto trader for $16,900 and I've seen another go for about $17,000 or $18,000, The woman who owned it bought it for her boy friend and just wanted to get rid of it(quoted that right in the description) The British Web Site XKEC,for XK8's and R's mention that they will be more collectable in the future. Probably because of the Limited edition status. Jaguars sports cars have always appreciated over the years. Certain high performance optioned cars have always brought a premium price. Since the Silverstone was developed by their Performance Division I would venture to say They probably will appreciate. I never bought it for that reason, I'll let my kids worry about that. I believe there are a couple of suspension tweaks that are not on the other Jaguar cars, model-exclusive Performance Handling Pack are fitted, wherein ride height is lowered 10 mm. CATS is also specially calibrated for taut handling, with spring rates increased and anti-roll bars modified.

Doug
2001 XKR Silverstone

Old 03-26-2012, 09:56 PM
Received 11 Likes on 4 Posts
Default another silverstone owner

Hello

I also have a 01 silverstone xkr coupe. It is still cherry. Not a stone chip.

Bought it about 8 years ago from the original owner with 18k miles on it. It currently has 31k miles. Broke down yesterday. I think the fueul pumps are both dead. I hope to bring it back from the dead sooner rather than later.

I have yet to see another silverstone around here but I am sure there are a few.

I thought they made 50 coupes for the US market. I noticed someone quoted 31. Just curious what the source of this number was?

thanks guys
happy motoring
jed

Old 03-27-2012, 04:25 AM
GGG
Received 16,763 Likes on 12,152 Posts

The Silverstone (and Victory) limited editions attracted a significant price hike for their original buyers. Is there any plaque on the vehicle or accompanying documentation to show which number they are in the series?

Graham

Old 03-27-2012, 08:23 AM

There aren't any tags or plaques designating which production # they are in the series. My VIN ends in 000, and i thought it was something special at first. Unfortunately it was just plain luck. Jaguar VINS are not specific to any one model. They are only consecutively #'d for all Jags as they are built...

Looking at the registry, i'd guess mine is about the middle of the production run.

Old 03-27-2012, 08:55 AM
GGG
Received 16,763 Likes on 12,152 Posts

Originally Posted by silverstone
There aren't any tags or plaques designating which production # they are in the series. My VIN ends in 000, and i thought it was something special at first. Unfortunately it was just plain luck. Jaguar VINS are not specific to any one model. They are only consecutively #'d for all Jags as they are built...

Looking at the registry, i'd guess mine is about the middle of the production run.
Rich,

It's still special and should become even more sought after as time passes.

Buyers must have been very trusting. I'd certainly have wanted some proof of exclusivity before writing the cheque.

Graham

Old 03-27-2012, 10:33 AM

G,

There are so many special things about it that make it easy to identify.

The special badging on the dash, door sills, front emblem, etc. Special color paint, red stiching on the interior, 20" BBS wheels, Brembo brakes and at the time, lots of special performance upgrades that had not been available on even the XKR's.

I WAS a little skeptical when I bought mine in the fall of 2010, but after looking over the history of the special edition, I figured there was no way that one could be 'cloned up' to be a Silverstone. Just too many options to track down and I am sure that Jaguar did not sell all the parts required to make one up.

And yes, I agree, all of these beautiful XK's are special and are becoming even more so!!!

Old 03-27-2012, 12:07 PM
Veteran Member

As Quoted by Silverstone
NADA values the same XKR at $20,800 and has no option for the Silverstone edition...
NADA does quote the Silverstone look under their classic cars listings Low retail $20,700 Average retail $26,900 and high retail $36,900. It's the only series I limited addition that they recognize. The 2002 x100 and the Victory Editions aren't there yet.
And Silverstones right it would be hard to clone one, the dash ,the inner rocker covers, and floor mats aren't available and the car would have to be with in the certain build date in 1999 for the first series and 2000 for the second. The dash was smoked birds eye maple, and I haven't seen one that hasn't lighten up over the years.The suspension had certain tweaks that wasn't available on the other cars. The other thing is you can still buy them for around $20,000 so there wouldn't be much incentive to spend the money to clone one. Mecum sold one a few months ago for $25,000 plus commission. but that's kind of unusual.
My car was a one owner and traded in at the original Dallas dealer who did all the servicing and was familiar with the car so I knew it was original. Jaguar offered to the buyers a paid trip to the Silverstone raceway to mingle with their race team and drive the cars on the raceway. When they sold them in the U.S. you couldn't buy one, most were sold at a premium and select customers were offered them. I believe when Motor Trend wrote the article back in 2001 there wasn't any available for sale in the U.S.

Last edited by RCSign; 03-27-2012 at 06:08 PM.
Old 03-27-2012, 12:18 PM
Received 32 Likes on 27 Posts

There are two silverstones for sale in france since a very long time. So not very sought after here. Same for the other xkr's. Just extremely hard to get rid off.

Old 03-27-2012, 12:25 PM
Received 34 Likes on 19 Posts
Default Silverstone

I managed to snag on of only 22 imported to Canada.

Karl

Old 03-27-2012, 03:28 PM
Veteran Member

As quoted by Karl
I managed to snag on of only 22 imported to Canada.
Karl
Have you registered it on the Silverstone Registry? I didn't see it there.
As quoted by Jochem
There are two silverstones for sale in france since a very long time. So not very sought after here. Same for the other xkr's. Just extremely hard to get rid off.
I don't know how well they sell state side either, I see a lot of the same cars on the internet for sale for months on end. When you look at E-Bay There are not a whole lot of completed sales.

Old 03-27-2012, 04:40 PM
Received 34 Likes on 19 Posts
Default Silverstone

Hi Doug,
I have not registred it yet, I keep meaning to as it would be the first one in Canada on the list I believe.

Thanks,

Karl

Old 03-27-2012, 06:06 PM
Veteran Member

Karl
I noticed there wasn't any Canadian registered cars and you probably would be the first. On one of the other post we started talking about the Jaguar Heritage trust Certificate. I just looked at mine and it does list this car as a Jaguar 4.0L XKR Silverstone. This would be the actual proof that this car is a Silverstone for anybody that wanted actual proof. It list the chassis #, Engine #, Body #, and gearbox #. It gives the actual build date, date it was shipped from the factory, main distributor and the first owner. They take the information you send them and check it against the actual production records. I had all the information from Jaguar and the previous owner. You can get your Heritage Certificate on any Jaguar that is at least 10 years or older and for a fee.

Quick Reply: Silverstone owners