XK8 / XKR ( X100 ) 1996 - 2006
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

So frustrated with my exhaust. Going back to almost stock.

Search this Thread

Old 06-15-2014, 06:43 AM
Veteran Member
Received 513 Likes on 333 Posts
Default So frustrated with my exhaust. Going back to almost stock.

I've been experimenting on some exhaust options and decided to just put back the rear mufflers.
First I started by just removing the center resonator. Not bad. A little more sound. Then I lost the rear mufflers, TOO much sound. Then we added two glass packs in the middle and better, but still louder than I wanted. (Although most people loved that the best but too much drone for me) So finally I added two more glass packs in the rear and for a day or two, it was perfect. But now I'm getting this embarrassing piping sound. Each glass pack (4) randomly "pop", especially when stopped at a light or stop sign, and when I park and turn off, it sounds like someone throwing marbles in tin cans. Like cooling and expanding metal pops. Loud!!
So tomorrow, off they come, all of them, and the original rear mufflers go back on with my new tips, and straight pipe in the middle.

Old 06-15-2014, 08:29 AM
Veteran Member
Received 1,348 Likes on 725 Posts

Ever considered an X-pipe to balance out the drone and removing the two rearmost mufflers leaving the others just before them intact?

Old 06-15-2014, 09:43 AM
Received 20 Likes on 9 Posts

I absolutly hate drone.i was going to pay $350 each for some corsa mufflers because the have no drone and sound mean.i use them on my other cars.but just to experiment before I bought them I cut out the center muffler and got rid of the pre axle small mufflers leaving the cats and rears only and to my suprise it was perfectly what I wanted.at cruzing speeds at 40 and at 75 its near silent and zero drone.when accelerating it has a nice mellow but strong tone.but when you floor it its loud and has a intoxicting rap...I wanted that rap that the f type has,also kinda like that machine gun rap the mercedes amg's make and I got it for free.i will try to get some vids if interested

The following users liked this post:
Rogerj (12-26-2016)
Old 06-15-2014, 11:48 AM
Veteran Member
Received 677 Likes on 551 Posts

Originally Posted by killergsxr1
I cut out the center muffler and got rid of the pre axle small mufflers leaving the cats and rears only and to my suprise it was perfectly what I wanted.at cruzing speeds at 40 and at 75 its near silent and zero drone.when accelerating it has a nice mellow but strong tone.but when you floor it its loud... i will try to get some vids if interested
Did you use straight pipes for the center delete or an X/H pipe?

Videos (audio) would be welcome.

Old 06-15-2014, 03:50 PM
Veteran Member
Received 369 Likes on 228 Posts

The wise and experienced Tony Murton of Paragon Design UK (XKRacer) has said before that the two rear-most boxes do the most to reduce drone...they're designed for that...so I'd recommend keeping them (or something there) in place. Other boxes can be removed / switched out for different sounds.

Old 06-15-2014, 07:39 PM
Received 20 Likes on 9 Posts

Originally Posted by Jag#4
Did you use straight pipes for the center delete or an X/H pipe?

Videos (audio) would be welcome.
strait pipes

Jag#4 (06-15-2014)
Old 06-15-2014, 07:59 PM
Veteran Member
Received 305 Likes on 217 Posts

One thing to keep in mind with glass packs is that they need some time to sort of bake to settle down the sound. After some time they may stop popping completely and leave just the sound you like.

I used to have glass packs and side exit exhaust in front of the rear tires on my old Cougar and they settled in after a few hundred miles.

Last edited by K.Westra; 06-15-2014 at 08:01 PM.
weisberg (06-19-2014)
Old 06-16-2014, 12:57 PM
Received 44 Likes on 22 Posts

I replaced the Resonation Dampers with straight pipes a year ago; Just the kind of music I like, not too loud for my age, and no issues above 100 Km as the wind is making more noise than the exhaust.

Compliments from neighbours that they love the sound too!

One drawback: slight drone at 1200 RPM and I don't like that at all; So simple solution: I use the J-gate to keep the car in 4th when cruising through urban areas.

And I love the sound when downshifting; I shift down all the way to second and enjoy the music; Also helps keeping the front wheels cleaner from brake dust

Last edited by keestanis; 06-16-2014 at 01:02 PM.
Old 06-16-2014, 01:35 PM
Veteran Member
Received 364 Likes on 327 Posts

Not to rip on the subject here but a Jag like these I just can't imagine LOUD pipes on it. Seems odd on a car of this nature. Now on my 04 GTO that is a diff. ha ha ha

Rogerj (04-28-2017)
Old 06-17-2014, 11:08 AM
Veteran Member
Received 694 Likes on 490 Posts

Originally Posted by philhef
I've been experimenting on some exhaust options and decided to just put back the rear mufflers.
First I started by just removing the center resonator. Not bad. A little more sound. Then I lost the rear mufflers, TOO much sound. Then we added two glass packs in the middle and better, but still louder than I wanted. (Although most people loved that the best but too much drone for me) So finally I added two more glass packs in the rear and for a day or two, it was perfect. But now I'm getting this embarrassing piping sound. Each glass pack (4) randomly "pop", especially when stopped at a light or stop sign, and when I park and turn off, it sounds like someone throwing marbles in tin cans. Like cooling and expanding metal pops. Loud!!
So tomorrow, off they come, all of them, and the original rear mufflers go back on with my new tips, and straight pipe in the middle.
I've been struggling with this since I bought my Jag. I only want a little more sound, no drone. I was thinking about replacing the centre muffler with a magnaflow X pipe. Will I get the slight increase in sound without the drone? What's the diameter of the pipes?

Old 06-17-2014, 11:54 AM
Received 149 Likes on 118 Posts

Originally Posted by brgjag
Not to rip on the subject here but a Jag like these I just can't imagine LOUD pipes on it. Seems odd on a car of this nature. Now on my 04 GTO that is a diff. ha ha ha

Maybe not 'loud', but this is a Jaguar XK we're talking about. Yesterday and today, they've always barked a bit. A modest but notable growl should be their nature. I like, and tell others, to think of them as British Corvettes.

weisberg (06-19-2014)
Old 06-17-2014, 11:56 AM
Received 149 Likes on 118 Posts

Originally Posted by philhef
Glad you've got a plan, Phil. I'm watching this and similar threads before pulling the trigger on what I want to do, likely this winter. I really want to go under-axle to alleviate the restriction, but likely keeping the rear-most mufflers, taking the forward mufflers out, and using a x-pipe instead of the center muffler. And perhaps new tips.

Old 06-17-2014, 04:07 PM
Veteran Member

It's going in next Tuesday and I'm loosing the glass packs, and putting rear mufflers back on. May do an X pipe and considering loosing the small mufflers. When I had just the center resonator removed, it wasn't that noticeable.
If anyone out there has straight pipe to rear mufflers, chime in. Like to hear some advice!! This is my last change to the exhaust!

Old 06-19-2014, 08:24 AM
Received 60 Likes on 52 Posts
Default similar to philhef, k westra has good point

I have a similar setup, result and dissatisfied feelings. Now DaveC has the same setup so we should check how his has worked out.

CURRENT SETUP
X-pipe (2.25" pipe sizes) in place of center muffler followed by two glass packs (18" long, 4" diameter instead of 3.5" and with 2.25" pipe openings) that still go into the little pre-axle muffler-ettes and the stock over the axle pipes and then come straight out as a rear muffler delete.

I put the glass packs in last, and I was shocked they did not make any interesting sounds immediately after install. The car sounded close to stock (argh!).

Glasspacks apparently need about 300 to 500 miles of wear-in via sustained driving for 45 minutes to an hour at a time. Less time and stop-and-go don't generate the heat and flow required. K Westra noted this above, and a dedicated performance muffler shop I went to for advice afterwards said the same thing. I drive lots of short but spirited trips so I have not come close to the suggested wear-in period

I read many threads here and did not think I would be at this point just like you. I'm thinking of drilling a hole or two into the glass packs as a few others did once I "wear" the glass packs in properly.

DevSpider has a demonstrably awesome exhaust for his XKR.
Big center muffler and two muffler-ettes replaced with an X-pipe and his rear mufflers are Magnaflow Polished stainless Steel Muffler model 14377. The X-pipe was his last piece and several of us thought his system sounded better (meaner) before he added it although he noted his wife liked it better.

LESSONS FOR XKR WITH STOCK SYSTEMS?
1. Paragon Tony said keep your rear mufflers and x-pipe the middle. I suspect that is by far the best value.

2. In contrast, there are quite a few rear muffler delete setups (e.g. Mina) and Enderle reflected that the rear muffler delete was a good value. I think point 1 and 3 are probably the best ways to go.

3. DevSpider's setup sounds fabulous and it came in below $1,000

4. Xenophobe steadfastly promotes replacing the stock cat cells with Nameless Performance ones but you will hit $1,000 quickly with that option alone.

5. If you have $3,500 to spend, the McLeod system sounds great.

Sound is very, very entertaining, but you can easily spend $ that is arguably better spent on real performance improvements such as a supercharger pulley upgrade, different rear axle ratio and even a limited-slip differential.

The following 2 users liked this post by weisberg:
Fulton (06-19-2014), Sentinelist (06-19-2014)
Old 06-19-2014, 10:56 AM
Veteran Member
Received 305 Likes on 217 Posts

For the record, my system is close to DevSpiders, but I replaced all the pipe in the process, used an H in place of the X, and Flowmasters in place of the Magnaflow. Mine came in right around $500. I would say to anyone doing the same as me to go with 50s in stead of 40s since the 40s are a bit aggressive for many people's tastes.
(see https://www.jaguarforums.com/forum/x...ter-40s-37811/)

Jag#4 (06-19-2014)
Old 06-20-2014, 06:14 AM
Veteran Member

Thanks for all the help. As of now, I'm loosing the glas packs completely. And replacing the rear factory mufflers. I had the rear delete Witt the center resonator delete as well. WAY too loud. That's when I had the center glass packs installed. They never made a sound and did quiet it a little. But it was still too loud especially on long drives and after really warming up. That's when I added the rear packs. And now I have all four snapping and popping from expansion I assume. It's actually gotten worse since driving. Literally it startles people in parking lots and such when I park it.
My mechanic says the x pipe is really more for performance than sound. But he'll be glad to put one in. When I had the initial straight pipes from removing the resonator it was not bad.
My question is will removing the two small muffler just before adding the two factory rear ones back and straight or x pipe in the middle, will that be overtly loud or reasonably louder. I cand deal with the droan I had before adding the glass packs with the rear muffler delete.

Old 06-20-2014, 10:12 AM
Received 31 Likes on 29 Posts

Morning guys I'm still enjoying the XKR! I have an update on my system.Installed the CAI, x pipe, deleted the pre mufflers and replaced the oem mufflers with flow master 50 series delta flow. Car sounds great! Almost imo like a Maserati Quattroporte S. No problem with droning at all. HOWEVER I got restricted performance under heavy throttle twice on Tuesday on I-20 in Shreveport. Im guessing it was the air intake. after I disconnected the battery it's been fine.

The cat feels stronger and certainly sounds great. I hope I got at least an extra 25hp. Can someone post the throttle cable performance mod or at explain how to do it?

Also these videos is very helpful on muffler sound options

Sound Testing: Flowmasters 8 Hottest Mufflers: http://youtu.be/JcqJmwaDfYE

Flowmaster Muffler Comparison: http://youtu.be/oVoaJmpoF-E

Old 06-20-2014, 10:28 AM
Veteran Member
Received 600 Likes on 446 Posts

Here's info I found on the X vs H pipe:

X-pipe: Mid-pipes built with a crossover, or "X" shaped design, purposely cross exhaust streams to even out flow and streamline exhaust gasses through the rest of the system. X-pipes are generally raspier and louder than H or Y-pipes and have been shown to provide slightly more power than their counterparts. You are likely to see most of the power gains higher in the rpm band with an X-pipe.

H-Pipe: An H-pipe is better at balancing sound and produces a more consistent, classic muscle car growl. It does less than an X-pipe in the way of balancing exhaust gasses but still flows quite well. H-pipes maintain the back-pressure necessary for torque gains earlier in the rpm band, as opposed to the top-end power seen from an X-pipe.

Old 06-20-2014, 06:51 PM
Veteran Member
Received 677 Likes on 551 Posts

Originally Posted by Juke
Can someone post the throttle cable performance mod or at explain how to do it?
Here's the right Rev. Sam's video. It is for a 2003 MY. You don't have your MY in your sig line so be aware it is slightly different on the earlier MY cars.

On my 2001, it is by the TB itself in the main engine bay and is a simple pair of nuts on either side of a plate. Easy to tell what to do. Make sure you don't get it too tight or your butterfly plate may stay open.

Good time to clean the throttle body while you're at it.

p.s. it's not a performance mod, but it will definitely improve the throttle response.