Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

sound system redux

Search this Thread

Old 05-31-2013, 05:54 AM
Received 14 Likes on 11 Posts
Default sound system redux

Hi all:
I have a 99 convert with the standard sound system. Last year I put a new stereo in the car, upgraded the speakers ( woofer tweeter in front and 2 way in the back ) It sounds good. The install went well and the unit even fits in the front nicely. But it just looks god awful. Not the install but the modern looking stereo. I like stock and this just does not fit. It looks like the transformers or borg are taking over the dash of the car. I am going to go back to the old cassette unit and ( i have tech skills ) install a aux plug or keep the old school cassette thing for mp3's. I read here somewhere that because the premium system has a different output from the radio head it sounds better. I may look for one but thinking a off the shelf power amp may be cheaper. My question is this. Is the output of the radio head just a standard low power audio output to the power amp ( ie the cassette head is used as a preamp ) or is it ????? If its just used as a preamp then with some wiring magic should be able to do what I want with maybe a decreet power switch for the power amp. Anybody do this . Tks and sorry for the long winded question (haha)

Old 05-31-2013, 02:55 PM
Received 14 Likes on 11 Posts

If anyone is interested I have researched it out and so far so good. I have a 99 so the cd changer as opposed to newer years stays input into the radio head during premium operation. So I believe changing the radio to premium mode should not affect the data etc going to the cd changer. I should be able to make an mp3 input on the cd changer plug. Switch the radio to premium and use the signal outputs to drive a power amp. Should be able to use the power supply for the premium system to power the amp. https://www.jaguarforums.com/forum/x...llation-80819/ The only thing left is to find out how to switch the radio to premium. On early cars there is an actual switch. I dont believe on my 99. If successful should be able to have pretty good sound without having to use an old school cassette adaptor. I know that you can purchase a bluetooth audio adaptor that uses 1/8 inch jack. Instead of plugging your phone/mp3 player in you can plug this in. Then wireless mp3s from your phone into the original stereo system. No wires hanging around etc. Not for all but do want the original look.