XK8 / XKR ( X100 ) 1996 - 2006
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Sourcing facsimile of cashmere leather ...

Search this Thread

Old 10-11-2013, 07:22 PM
Received 30 Likes on 13 Posts
Default Sourcing facsimile of cashmere leather ...

I've done some mocking up for my rear seat delete and I think cashmere "hide" will look better than sable carpet.
Has anyone had occasion to source some nuagahide (or similar) to match the factory cashmere color?

Unrelated subject; just had a 5.0 earthquake as I was sitting in the car in the garage. Surprising amount of lateral motion. I guess the low profile tires on 19" rims don't have a lot of lateral stiffness. No damage.

Old 10-11-2013, 07:45 PM
Veteran Member
Received 2,540 Likes on 1,411 Posts

Ken,
I'm sure I can find a vinyl in a color and texture to match OEM cashmere. I have several sources in downtown Los Angeles from whom I buy vinyls and have access to books with tens of thousands of samples. In addition, since Topsonline (Vic's Upholstery Supply) is just down the road from me, and since they supply the replacement skins, I am sure they have matching vinyl and/or leather skins. I would start by calling them. If you have no success, let me know, and I will get you some samples next week.
Ted

Old 10-11-2013, 08:50 PM

Thanks Ted .... appreciate the help.
How long have you had your Pantera? I'm a member of the northern California POCA. Still trying to decide if I want to get one. I'm really liking the Jag as a daily driver.

Old 10-11-2013, 10:35 PM
Veteran Member

Hi Ken,
I've had the Pantera about 7-8 years. Spent the first 5 or so getting many of the "kinks" out. Overheating problems, clutch, electrical,rebuilt engine.........Then about 4 years ago, I got the XKR quite accidentally. Ever since I got the XKR, I just don't drive the Pantera, it's just too much effort to enjoy the fun when you can jump into the XKR with no planning, no effort, just as much power, more comfortable, and just as much, if not more, attention getting. My Pantera is a beautiful, very nice driver quality car. Someday, I'd really like to do a complete restoration and make it a car I could enjoy more regularly without the worry about whether it's too hot, there's too much traffic (leading to overheating), or any of a dozen other factors that could lead to its breaking down. However, having said all of the negative things, I have to say, just like the XKR, I love just looking at it. The body is still so contemporary and clean looking even parked next to modern day supercars. And no offense to 12 cylinder automobiles, but the sound of that big Ford V-8 pushing through the factory headers and the giant exhaust pipes with an upgraded slightly wild cam, is one that is simply symphonic. It sets off every car alarm it passes, the tremors are so pronounced. Now you've done it, I start talking about it and now I want to go out and drive it! If you're ever slumming it down in SoCal, let me know, you can drive it for a day, maybe it will help in your decision making. And since I have the same color XKR vert you'll be able to do your comparisons very easily.

Old 10-11-2013, 10:42 PM
Veteran Member

Ken,
I'm going up to Infineon for AudiFest and if it's not wet, I might consider bringing the Pantera up to Sonoma to the track. I had a terrible experience on a wet track there a couple of years ago, spinning off twice (luckily, no damage) and last year just rented a car up there. We'll see what the weather forecast is, but if we trailer it up, you're certainly welcome to make the short trip from Eureka and drive it. How was the earthquake up there today?

Old 10-11-2013, 10:54 PM

5.0 about 30 miles offshore. Third one since we moved here a little over two years ago. Lasted about five seconds. I was just surprised at how much the car wiggled around. Wonder what it would have been like if I was driving on the 101 when it happened.

Old 10-11-2013, 10:57 PM
Veteran Member

Finally, still gorgeous after 43 years! And by the way, although the widebodied GT-5's are certainly more aggressive looking, I still much prefer the clean, slender lines of Tom Tjaarda's original design.

Attached Thumbnails Sourcing facsimile of cashmere leather ...-dscf0720-800x600-.jpg   Sourcing facsimile of cashmere leather ...-vp__5052-800x406-.jpg   Sourcing facsimile of cashmere leather ...-car-shows-001-640x480-.jpg