XK8 / XKR ( X100 ) 1996 - 2006
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Speed sensor clearance

Search this Thread

Old 02-06-2017, 03:22 PM
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default Speed sensor clearance

Hi Gang; I recently had a new speed sensor installed in my lf wheel. Now every time the car gets below 10 mph the anti locks kick in. I am guessing it was installed incorrectly. Does anyone know the proper clearance for the sensor from the wheel? I figure I should know where to set it before I go in. It's a 2003 XKR with Brembo's. Thanks

Old 02-06-2017, 03:46 PM
Veteran Member
Received 677 Likes on 551 Posts

If memory serves, it will only install one way. A single bolt holds it in, and it would be obvious from the "clean" spot left by the mounting ear as to how it should go. You can check the front sensors without removing the wheel. Just turn the wheel all the way to one side and look down from the top.

The other problem these have is the wiring that plugs into the sensor. They are thin and often brittle due to age. I would check those too. The toothed wheel the sensor uses to check wheel speed or slippage needs to be clean as well.

If the sensor is bad, it will turn off the ABS and give you an error message. Never heard of it engaging at the wrong time, but I'm sure more folks will check in soon with more comments.