Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Splitting the cooling XKR...

Search this Thread

Old 02-09-2012, 10:25 AM
Veteran Member
Received 1,341 Likes on 1,057 Posts
Default Splitting the cooling XKR...

A question regarding the intercooler on an XKR and splitting the cooling from the engine.

Does it matter where the pumps go, can I use the original pump or leave it in the engine loop, and add another?

Is it a worthwhile job reversing the cooling flow through the I/Coolers?

The engine's had both pulleys done.

Old 02-09-2012, 11:05 AM
Veteran Member
Received 1,063 Likes on 759 Posts

Having both pulleys done, you are generation a tremendous amount of extra heat, which could be close to double the amount of BTU’s you are pumping into the system compared to stock. This should give some idea of how much you would need to improve the cooling capacity of the stock system (which in itself isn’t over dimensioned to make an understatement).

Separating the system from the engine coolant isn’t going to make any difference, and also not reversing the flow, so it doesn’t matter where the pump goes.

Primary focus should be to increase the cooling capacity of the intercooler radiator, as there you can get rid of the heat, and as you may know my view, a thicker unit isn’t going to make the difference. What is important is airflow (as that takes away the heat) and surface area.

To be honest, best bang for the buck to cool the charge down would be a methanol kit, that will also help in keeping the internals clean like the intercooler themselves and the combustion chamber too (especially if you have still the EGR working, but that can be easily turned off). It’s not my thing though.

The following 2 users liked this post by avos:
Sean B (02-09-2012), User 070620 (06-10-2013)
Old 02-09-2012, 12:12 PM
Veteran Member
Received 1,341 Likes on 1,057 Posts

Andre, how would the EGR be disabled without codes?

It's not my car, so I'll ask if a methanol kit is of interest - I've read about the snow kit being good for keeping the engine cooler/cleaner. I did mention your TS kit to him, but he had the pulleys done, now he's worried about keeping it cool as you say, maxing the Heaton.

Another option (I guess) is an intercooler spray, a friend runs an Evo 10 and it's got a spray system that squirts water onto it, rely's on evaporation...I wonder if that's any good??

Last edited by Sean B; 02-09-2012 at 12:16 PM.
Old 02-09-2012, 11:51 PM
Veteran Member
Received 1,063 Likes on 759 Posts

Leave the EGR unit intact and connected, cut the pipe, and close of the exhaust. Then route the pipe to the intake after the MAF, and make an orifice there of about 4 to 5mm. This needs to be exact, so the MAP sensor detects a similar pressure change. You could also Tee it in on the engine breather pipe (the one that is connected to the intake before the TB) that will have less oxygen, and would be better.

Water can take away more heat than air, so spraying the intercooler radiator will have an effect. But if you already go through the trouble to install an extra water unit/sprayer to your car, then I think it is better to go straight to a methanol kit, as that will have more benefits. Have no experience with these kits myself yet, but I am going to install a Stage 3 cooling mist system on our rrs diesel with prime focus on cleaning the system as the egr was unblocked for many years.

Of course if he wants extra power (not just 30 or 40 hp), changing pulleys is obvioulsy not the way as you are battling a lost game due to most of the power gains from the pulleys are being lost to run the Eaton itself and to heat, yet the engine has to work much harder…

Old 02-10-2012, 05:25 AM
Veteran Member
Received 256 Likes on 196 Posts

Sean I will take a few photos of the EGR modification & post over the weekend.

The following users liked this post:
Sean B (02-10-2012)