XK8 / XKR ( X100 ) 1996 - 2006
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Sport Mode Switch Problem

Search this Thread

Old 12-11-2016, 02:07 PM
Received 9 Likes on 7 Posts
Default Sport Mode Switch Problem

On our 2003, most of the time, the sport mode switch will not stay pressed in, so the car is always in sport mode. The colder it is, the more likely it will not stay in.
It feels that with a little tweaking and/or cleaning and lubrication, it could become functional again.
Is it difficult to remove?
Thanks
Jack

Old 12-11-2016, 02:48 PM
Veteran Member
Received 1,252 Likes on 687 Posts

It depends on the style of your console. Post a pic of yours and somebody will explain how it comes apart.

Old 12-11-2016, 03:49 PM
Received 562 Likes on 269 Posts

R&R on the Sport Mode switch (LNC6220AA) requires only removal of the shift surround to access that switch. U-Tube video shows how. We had similar problem with that switch. Once access is gained, just unplug and unsnap the switch from shift housing. The switch is plastic and probably gets hot in summer allowing it to distort and expand causing the ratchet mech. to fail. Carefully heat the housing on each side to soften it and gently squeeze it to return it to a more narrow profile. This allowed our switch to function properly until hot weather returned and fortunately we located a LKQ switch on B-Bay.

The following users liked this post:
USCANAM (12-12-2016)
Old 12-11-2016, 04:58 PM

Originally Posted by kstevusa
R&R on the Sport Mode switch (LNC6220AA) requires only removal of the shift surround to access that switch. U-Tube video shows how. We had similar problem with that switch. Once access is gained, just unplug and unsnap the switch from shift housing. The switch is plastic and probably gets hot in summer allowing it to distort and expand causing the ratchet mech. to fail. Carefully heat the housing on each side to soften it and gently squeeze it to return it to a more narrow profile. This allowed our switch to function properly until hot weather returned and fortunately we located a LKQ switch on B-Bay.
Great response, thanks.
Will tackle it tomorrow
Jack

Old 12-11-2016, 11:17 PM
Veteran Member
Received 1,808 Likes on 1,115 Posts

Jack I recently replaced the light inside mine . Posted about it, you can search for it if you like. One important thing I remember: only open the switch inside a container. There are Springs and small pieces you will lose.

John

The following users liked this post:
USCANAM (12-12-2016)
Old 12-12-2016, 06:42 AM

Originally Posted by Johnken
Jack I recently replaced the light inside mine . Posted about it, you can search for it if you like. One important thing I remember: only open the switch inside a container. There are Springs and small pieces you will lose.

John
Thanks for the heads up John.
Going to try the heat gun approach first, then switch surgery if necessary.
Icy mix in New England today. Good day to play with car.
Jack

Old 12-12-2016, 01:02 PM
Default Fixed!!

Actually pretty simple thanks to the tips supplied on this forum.
The tip that the switch removal was on U tube made removing the panel easy. Rather than use a screwdriver as shown in the video, I used one of those plastic panel removers that was part of a kit I had.
Actually, once the switch was in my hands, it worked beautifully, and I could not make it fail. However, I did notice it was slightly bulging, so the heat gun set to low allowed me to return the sides to a straighter design.
Using the heat gun when it was 45's in the garage was nice too.
Was toying with the idea of a short blast of LP2 into the switch, but didn't want to risk contaminating the contacts.
Thanks again.
Help was much appreciated
Jack