XK8 / XKR ( X100 ) 1996 - 2006
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Steering improvement = remove driver side fuse 10

Search this Thread

Old 05-25-2013, 07:13 PM
Received 45 Likes on 34 Posts

OK, not as easy as a proportional DC voltage but should be do able. I like the two mode approach. Presumably, you wouldn't want cruise engaged when using the arrow keys

Old 05-25-2013, 07:52 PM
Received 56 Likes on 45 Posts

I don't even like power steering lol

FWIW, I'd vote for the simplest solution which addresses the original problem.
Appreciating the discussion though some of it is over my head!

The following users liked this post:
weisberg (05-30-2013)
Old 05-25-2013, 11:13 PM
Veteran Member
Received 1,106 Likes on 763 Posts

Steve, I would also be interested in the adjustable variable assist steering and would happily be a beta tester if you needed one.

Old 05-26-2013, 12:23 AM
Received 33 Likes on 27 Posts

How is the stearing control module accessed ? The service manual says its between the passenger side fuse box and the glove box on a RHD car, does the glove box need to come out ? I tried to access it from underneath but could not see it. I would really like to put my power steering into low assist, so if anyone can explain exactly where the module is it would be appreciated.

Thanks guys.

Old 05-26-2013, 09:43 AM
Veteran Member
Received 430 Likes on 323 Posts

Originally Posted by spuddyo
How is the stearing control module accessed ? The service manual says its between the passenger side fuse box and the glove box on a RHD car, does the glove box need to come out ? I tried to access it from underneath but could not see it. I would really like to put my power steering into low assist, so if anyone can explain exactly where the module is it would be appreciated.

Thanks guys.
You can access the Module by removing the Glove Box.

The Module is mounted on a bracket between the Glove Box and the rear of the Adjacent Fuse Box.

Old 05-27-2013, 08:56 PM
Veteran Member
Received 2,981 Likes on 2,123 Posts

Originally Posted by ccfulton
Steve, I would also be interested in the adjustable variable assist steering and would happily be a beta tester if you needed one.
Thanks Charlie!...I always need Beta testers for new products.

I am working through a couple of 2007+ XK/R X150 projects now and then I hope to be back on this.

Old 05-30-2013, 07:26 PM
Received 191 Likes on 134 Posts

I have to jump in here and provide my experience - I cut the blue/white wire going into the module and absolutely love the way the steering feels now, it is fantastic. It is just a little heavy at very slow speed, however not an issue really, but ideally I would like just a bit more power from zero to about 15 mph. I would gladly pay for an adjustable system to compensate for the slow speed heaviness. I look forward to another great product fron Steve/whitexkr! Thanks everyone for this post.

The following 3 users liked this post by SteveJacks:
johns427 (03-20-2018), weisberg (05-30-2013), WhiteXKR (05-30-2013)
Old 05-30-2013, 08:37 PM
Received 60 Likes on 52 Posts

I'd be happy to beta test for Jag Wrangler too. I will be living with this car for much longer than I originally thought.

Old 05-30-2013, 08:50 PM
Received 198 Likes on 106 Posts

Hello, I am up for a adjustable power steering module and would be happy to be a guinea pig for the cause. No problem paying for it either!
Please let us all know when you are going to start the project and ETA for beta testing. This would be a great modification, maybe even save a life as well!

Happy Motoring...

Last edited by vettegood; 05-30-2013 at 09:25 PM.
Old 05-30-2013, 08:51 PM
Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts

subscribed

Old 05-30-2013, 09:17 PM
Veteran Member
Received 2,981 Likes on 2,123 Posts

OK!! Well I am glad to see the enthusiasm for this now.

At the moment I am knee deep in developing the remote top for the X150 2007+ XK, which unfortunately is MUCH more difficult than the X100 version was.

As soon as I am done, I'll be back to projects for my first love, the X100 XK8/R!

The following 2 users liked this post by WhiteXKR:
Jag#4 (05-31-2013), Jeff in Tucson (05-31-2013)
Old 05-31-2013, 07:25 AM
Received 56 Likes on 45 Posts

Originally Posted by SteveJacks
I have to jump in here and provide my experience - I cut the blue/white wire going into the module and absolutely love the way the steering feels now, it is fantastic. It is just a little heavy at very slow speed, however not an issue really, but ideally I would like just a bit more power from zero to about 15 mph. I would gladly pay for an adjustable system to compensate for the slow speed heaviness. I look forward to another great product fron Steve/whitexkr! Thanks everyone for this post.
Definitely interesting. If it's that simple, I'll cut my wire too.
I don't mind heavy steering one bit, in fact I like it.
Reminds me of my father's 3.8 Mk2.

Originally Posted by weisberg
I'd be happy to beta test for Jag Wrangler too. I will be living with this car for much longer than I originally thought.
I call that a good thing I'm always afraid something will happen that would force me to get rid of my XK8.
I'd like to be buried in it I think.

The following users liked this post:
weisberg (06-20-2013)
Old 06-13-2013, 06:03 AM
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by WhiteXKR
In the fusebox between the dash and the door (US driver's side), left column, 3rd fuse down, red 10 A fuse. If you look closely the numbers are embossed on the black plastic.
I have a UK spec '99 XKR, in the l/h fuse box the 3rd fuse down is not a 10a, when I looked in the hand book it also referred to another function completely.

Can you tell me exactly what functions this particular fuse provides so I can see if I can identify the correct fuse in my car?

Thanks

Old 06-21-2013, 09:40 AM
Received 25 Likes on 21 Posts

I took out the fake vent next to my steering column and put a rocker switch in it's place to control the steering solenoid. Just cut the white wire with the blue stripe in the 9 pin connector on the glove box side. Love it love it love it. All this time I thought something was loose in my steering system or suspension because I was wandering all over the road mostly in town between 30 and 50 mph. I can feel the road now and I'm not over correcting anymore. It was starting to bother me a lot. Thanks guys. You make this the best place to come with Jag issues.

Old 10-16-2013, 06:37 AM
LED
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Would this work on an XF ? My feeling is that it would. The steering feels overassisted on mine which is in itself not a problem but I get very little steering feedback which isnt good on wet winter roads. Anyone tried it ?

Old 01-14-2018, 04:05 AM
Received 22 Likes on 6 Posts

Hi Jag Wrangler,
It's been a while since you last posted on this thread and you've launched the remote control top that was your priority project, so where is the variable steering control unit?????
I would love to have a kit to fix this driveability issue with my XK8. I found this thread by searching how to replace the steering damper because I thought that something was broken in the steering system. Come to find out - no steering damper!
I'll wager that a lot of people would love to have the ability to "dial in" the steering to their liking.

Otherwise, I'll be cutting the blue wire!

Old 01-15-2018, 11:14 AM
Received 24 Likes on 22 Posts

Please add me to the list Steve for the variable speed control unit. A question to pose to the brain trust. Pulled fuse this am and am totally sold on the new feel. However while I expected the climate control to no longer be functional, I also noticed my temp guage no longer functioning. I have the Real Guage upgrade so don’t know if there is a correlation. Also more disconcerting was the fact that my cooling fans did not seem to be functioning. As soon as I replaced the fuse, both climate control and fans instantly regained functional status.Never the less, while my percieved handling bliss was shortlived, I believe I will implement a spst toggle as has been previously mentioned.Question: The Blue/ Black wire (I have a 98), as I understand can be accessed from behind the glove box on the passenger side, or behind/ below instrument cluster, would it not make more sense to handle wire mod from there instead of a wire run to drivers side from the glove box? ( I will be putting switch on driver’s side dash as was mentioned).What think you all?Many Thanks!
[QUOTE=CE2 JAG;1825070]Hi Jag Wrangler,
It's been a while since you last posted on this thread and you've launched the remote control top that was your priority project, so where is the variable steering control unit?????
I would love to have a kit to fix this driveability issue with my XK8. I found this thread by searching how to replace the steering damper because I thought that something was broken in the steering system. Come to find out - no steering damper!
I'll wager that a lot of people would love to have the ability to "dial in" the steering to their liking.

Old 01-16-2018, 10:13 AM
Received 25 Likes on 21 Posts

Just my 2 cents worth here fellas. I know the Jag steering is assisted by a 2 stage steering pump. Switching OFF one stage accounts for the increased drivability feel a lot of us seem to like. I believe training an ON/OFF hydraulic valve to become transitionally variable with the use of a module isn't going to work real good because that would require rapid pulsing of the solenoid valve to accomplish this. Overheating of the circuit would most likely ensue hurting the general reliability. It would be easier (safer) to have the steering speed sensor module itself kick out at a lower speed, say 10 mph, instead of 30+ most drivers seem to be experiencing. I know mine is over steering slightly at 30 to 35 mph on rough surfaces. That's when I turn my switch off. Usually don't remember to turn it back on until it's time to park the car.
Just a thought about those with convertible tops. The top is operative until approximately the speed mentioned and even lower. The top operations CEASE if you exceed this speed. Anybody know how to share that modules input with the PS one without shorting out the whole car? Adding one more relay isn't going to matter much in a vehicle that already has over 40 of them.

Old 03-20-2018, 02:57 PM
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

On the 2006 onwards XKR what is the affect on the steering of just disconnecting the electrical connector on the steering rack

Old 09-20-2019, 05:20 AM
Received 104 Likes on 62 Posts

Checked the jagwrangler site and the product for a New variable power steering is still on the upcoming products list.

Would it be possible to disable the power steering pump completely at high speeds? I think using the heavier effort mode at low to medium speeds seems a great mod. I tried it today and really like the stiffer feeling! But at speeds 60 or 70 mph or above I would like even less power assistance. Would it be possible to disable the power steering pump completely (without turning the ignition off)?

Last edited by Higgins; 09-20-2019 at 09:21 AM.

Quick Reply: Steering improvement = remove driver side fuse 10