Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

steering rack

Search this Thread

Old 03-22-2016, 11:58 AM
Received 14 Likes on 13 Posts
Default steering rack

Hi,

I have had a problem with clunking noises for some time, the garage has diagnosed a problem with the steering rack.

Can anybody recommend a UK company that refurbishes or supplies new steering racks, please?

I've found a couple of firms that refurbish, but I've also read about people having bad experiences with refurbished racks - I don't know which firms they used, which is why I'm after recommendations.

( I thought I'd already posted this thread, but I can't see it on the website, so apologies if this is a duplicate )

Old 03-22-2016, 12:19 PM
Veteran Member
Received 375 Likes on 309 Posts

When I bought my XK8 a few months ago it clunked, howled and rattled a lot. I'm not saying your mechanic is wrong but all of my noises seem typical for an XK8 and the Steering rack was the source on none of the clunks.

A clunk associated with the steering rack would more likely be from the rack Mounts deteriorating and not the rack itself.

One of the inner Tie rods in my rack was sloppy and the tire could be turned slightly with the steering locked, but this is an easy, cheap fix that doesn't even need steering rack removal.

For Clunks, look at the wishbone bushings, lower and upper shock mounts, ball joints and the big clunker: missing sway bar rubber. None require a rack replacement.

Last edited by Ungn; 03-22-2016 at 12:21 PM.
The following users liked this post:
mrobinson (03-22-2016)
Old 03-22-2016, 12:52 PM
Received 14 Likes on 13 Posts

The garage has been over it twice now and came to the same conclusion - once last year and the same this ( they told me to come back when it got worse ).

Thanks for your advice, but I trust they got it right. I don't know how to check any of those things anyway.

Old 03-22-2016, 01:19 PM
Veteran Member

Just jacking up one side, locking the steering wheel, and someone wiggling the tire while observing the inner tie rod/rack with a flashlight will tell you if the inner tie rod has too much play or the rack mounts are bad (depending on what moves to allow the tire to move). neither would require a new rack.

Does it clunk with the steering straight or when turning or both?
Does it clunk on bumps?
Do you feel the clunk in the steering wheel or just hear the noise?

On a 1998 XK8, the whole front suspension moving bits should have been replaced in the last few years. If its all original, replacing the steering rack with even a brand new one will likely not fix the clunking.

Old 03-22-2016, 03:37 PM
Received 3 Likes on 2 Posts

I have just had a refurbished rack fitted to sort a rattle through the steering. I had checked all the suspension joints first.
With the "new" rack it is much better. I do think the inner track-rod-end was the main problem but I decided to go for the rack as it had seen over 120K miles. Now I know its all good.
I was concerned about getting one that was refurbished properly. I went to Dave Roche at DCR AutoParts near Inverness Jaguar XK8 and Jaguar XKR Parts and Accessories he delivers to all the UK. Not the cheapest but after 200 miles it seems to be good.

The following 2 users liked this post by Tony-:
mrobinson (03-24-2016), Ungn (03-22-2016)
Old 03-22-2016, 08:01 PM
Received 78 Likes on 41 Posts

Racks can get a little sloppy with age, but usually you are working or leaking with a steering racks. I wouldn't think a clunk is a rack, inner (under the boot) or outer joints on the steering rack can be worn and that is a cheap fix.

I would put money on a 98 needing upper wishbone bushings (bushing can make clunk), possibly a ball joint (usually a sqeak), maybe a swaybar bushings and maybe something else that might cause a clunk before a steering rack. IMO

I would jack it up and test, grab the tire at 2 and 10 and give it about as violent a push in and jerk out as you feel safe not to knock it off the jack. My bet would be the 10 o'clock side that will make noise.
That or take it to a shop that specialized in front end alignment and ask them it they will diagnose the issue for you. Most of those shops here in the US will be happy to show you where the movement is. If you have a clunk you should be able to see it.

Old 03-22-2016, 10:06 PM
Veteran Member

Originally Posted by Tony-
I have just had a refurbished rack fitted to sort a rattle through the steering. I had checked all the suspension joints first.
With the "new" rack it is much better. I do think the inner track-rod-end was the main problem but I decided to go for the rack as it had seen over 120K miles. Now I know its all good.
I was concerned about getting one that was refurbished properly. I went to Dave Roche at DCR AutoParts near Inverness Jaguar XK8 and Jaguar XKR Parts and Accessories he delivers to all the UK. Not the cheapest but after 200 miles it seems to be good.
My Driver side inner Tie Rod Was toast and there was visible play that could generate a "clunk" (but not any where near as loud as the other three sources of "clunks" in my front end, or the two in my back end).

Inner Tie rods were $25 USD each, Outer Tie rods was $15 USD each, Large Crescent Wrench I used to remove/install was another $15. Swapping one side takes less than 30 minutes total, including jacking the car up/down. Zip Tie was used to secure the boot back.

For Alignment, since I just did one side, I got the new assembled tie rod close in length, and drove the car/adjusted the toe until the steering wheel was back straight + a little extra toe. Only took two trips until the steering wheel was dead nuts perfect and right/left response felt equal. Will replace the other "good side" eventually, but the car tracks perfectly straight with no play, now.

I've gone completely through my front/rear suspension and swapped ball joints and wheel bearings, but if I can avoid taking out the rack I will avoid taking out the rack. After reading up on the hassles of a rack swap, and seeing the play I had in my steering, I was so glad it was the inner tie rods and not something internal in the rack.

Old 03-23-2016, 06:17 AM
Received 78 Likes on 41 Posts

+1 tie rod comes on a complete rack, but certainly an expensive way to replce one.