XK8 / XKR ( X100 ) 1996 - 2006
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

steering wheel in out

Search this Thread

Old 01-30-2012, 09:07 AM
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Default steering wheel in out

On "auto" steering wheel does not go in or out either on auto or manual. It does go up and down when I shut off engine. I also hear the motor spinning. I can push and pull the column in and out. Any easy fix?

i

Old 02-01-2012, 06:42 AM
Received 56 Likes on 43 Posts
Default Steering wheel motors

sgparnes;
From what you are describing, it appears you have stripped gears in the in/out motor. Easy fix? It's a matter of getting into the internals of the steering column and replacing the motor.

Old 02-01-2012, 09:00 AM
Received 7 Likes on 6 Posts

Do a little searching. I have seen a write up for this fix. Not sure if it is the Rev or someone else. It appears to be somewhat easy if you are good with wrenches.

B

Old 02-01-2012, 03:25 PM
Received 240 Likes on 160 Posts

It might be the motor but since you can move it in and out I'd guess the 'driven nut' is stripped (I sincerely doubt anyone can cause the driven screw to turn in the driven nut by yanking the steering wheel in and out.) It's made of a UHMW polyethylene and after a number of years of peeps yanking on the wheel to haul their fannies out of the car the nut finally gives up. Sorry, the individual part is unavailable. I successfully made one from scratch, the thread is 10x1.5. The downside is you better have some good skills and be aware that the column manufacturer adamantly advises against the total tear-down of the assembly. I've got some pics but I haven't made the time to move them from my phone and do a write-up. The entire column assembly needs to be removed from the car and almost every single piece of it disassembled to access the broken part. Then comes the cutting of the new piece from stock and reassembly. If you're real good figure 45 minutes to remove the column, 30 to disassemble, another hour or two to make the piece (if you have good skills and equipment) an hour or so to reassemble and about an hour to reinstall (if you're a DIYer I'd be hesitant to recommend doing this. Nothing like having your steering lock-up in the middle of a turn because you didn't do something quite right...) Probably better off sourcing a good used one...

Old 02-01-2012, 06:57 PM
Veteran Member
Received 1,110 Likes on 932 Posts

There are two failure issues with the steering column; the first Beav describes and the dealer solution is to replace the column. For us DIYers an used one from a recycler. The other common problem is the failure of a little 3" piece of what looks like speedometer cable. That also is not available from Jaguar as a separate part but Coventry West went the extra mile and bought the tooling to make it. It's about $50 shipped. I have one on my work bench awaiting inspiration.

Remove the reach motor and if the cable is frayed replace it. You can do that with the column in the car. If it is intact continue on to remove the column.

Now you are going to ask; where is the How To on removing the motor and column.

There isn't one yet.

You could be the one! Search 'Reverend Sam' to see how we would like the tutorial to be done.

Old 02-02-2012, 02:13 AM
Veteran member
Received 168 Likes on 126 Posts

I cleaned up the parts as described in the how-to that's posted on here somewhere. Wasn't it MishMish..? However, the problem came back after a few weeks, so now I just leave the switch turned off. The moving wheel is only for really fat people anyhow