Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Steering wheel 'spline' shaft alignment 03 XKR

Search this Thread

Old 10-14-2017, 11:11 AM
Received 118 Likes on 87 Posts
Default Steering wheel 'spline' shaft alignment 03 XKR

Hello all,
Would anyone happen to know if the steering wheel can be 'misaligned' by one 'tooth' on the spline shaft, and if so, would this cause what looks like a misalignment of the steering wheel when the key is removed and the steering wheel locks. When the steering wheel locks are 'engaged' after removing the key, should the embossed Jaguar icon in the center of the steering wheel, ears be misaligned slightly after jiggling the wheel to ensure the locks have engaged, or is this irrelevant that the cat face is wonky after the steering locks, lock? Thanks

Old 10-14-2017, 01:53 PM
GGG
Received 16,768 Likes on 12,155 Posts

As I recall with both my XK8's, the steering wheel had to be turned slightly off centre to engage the steering lock.

Provided it's correctly aligned when the front wheels are pointing straight forwards, then you don't have a problem.

Graham

Old 10-14-2017, 02:18 PM
Received 118 Likes on 87 Posts

Originally Posted by GGG
As I recall with both my XK8's, the steering wheel had to be turned slightly off centre to engage the steering lock.

Provided it's correctly aligned when the front wheels are pointing straight forwards, then you don't have a problem.

Graham
Thanks Graham,
It would appear that everything is oky doky then, as what you have described is exactly what I was concerned with; that it has to be slightly turned to the left for the locks to engage and appears off centered as a result.

Old 10-15-2017, 06:03 AM
Received 32 Likes on 24 Posts

If you do have to take the wheel off, perhaps as I did to change the colour and re do the leather, mark the spline with a pencil so that you can re align correctly.